Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Facebook bragging

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12403
edited February 2017 in Off Topic
Following on from Octa's parody thread its interesting to observe peoples post on facebook of the "I love my life" variety whether its a spanking new expensive car or an exotic holiday, Is there any purpose to these posts other than LOOK AT ME?

I don't do facebook any more, part of the reason is because people I knew were doing this kind of stuff when I personally know them and in some cases know that their life is actually far from perfect and I was bored of the lack of genuine communications.

Don't get this twisted though, I love peoples NGD posts on here but we all love guitars on here and appreciate them, this is a guitar forum after all. Plus we get to share the shitty times in life too and I feel we have an amazing supportive network on here  and an incredibly generous "all in this together" culture.

Maybe I just need to stop concerning myself with this and just get on with my own life which is totally fucking awesome by the way, every day is a new adventure etc......NOT.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• i dont have facebook for this exact reason mate so i know where your coming from @jonnyburgo ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The vast majority of my Facebook wall is me getting tagged in other people's pictures/posts.  I mostly use it for messenger and events
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3060
    edited February 2017
    Luckily most of the people on my facebook aren't like that. However certain people are or have been that way recently and I've distanced myself from them for it. 

Ever watched that god awful programme Rich Kids of instagram? makes me want to puke just how delussional, thick and arrogant some people can be because of all the money they have and often didn't earn themselves.
  • I use Facebook for the band, so don't see mucj if the bubbles people spout, but it is prevalent  I love it when the other half shows me some of the ridiculously insane ramblings and arguments which go on, we all know that the ones who post the most about their amazing lives are sitting there infront of the TV constantly on Facebook...... Its the ones who post literally nothing are the ones having the most fun. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13953
    edited February 2017

Oh no...are you suggesting that people exaggerate and paint a distorted picture of their real lives when they post on social media? A social media platform that allows people to display the worst side of human nature where they believe they can do so without causing any harm?

I thought Mark Zuckerberg's vision of a connected world would mean a world filled with perfect shiny happy people with perfect lives filled with never ending joy, where the sun always shines and everyone is a celebrity, and is nice to each other.

So it's all fake, like fake news?

I am shocked and disappointed. Deffo not going to join Facebook now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • One of our technical directors in the US... his linkedIn page is cringeworthy. Really, really bigs himself up, but then I think that's the American way. Totally awful.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Sounds like you are a tad cynical? I do have friends who post 'look at my child', 'look at my dinner', 'look where I am' etc, and I do find most of that a bore. I'm sure that they are also bored by my latest guitar build pictures as well though. Not that I actually post much stuff at all. 

For me, the interest on Facebook is joining decent groups of likeminded people. Two in particular for me are brimming with interesting stuff.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12403
    Cynical, me? Definitely. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • People airing their dirty laundry grinds my gears. It's usually a "Fuck Everything!!!" style post with a bunch of vague comments offering hugs and all that.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Facebook, linked in (same thing IMO), not bothered. Doesn't work for me. I have a phone and a voice. Other people love it, i prefer to use my time differently. Had FB for a bit, and found it a total waste of time and it got on my pip
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    u ok hun?
    omg pm me. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    I definitely agree. Facebook has been useful as well as literally noxious. It feels like a massive falsehood at times and who hasn't got to know people that have stopped talking to each other because of a facebook post? I'd love to be a tiny lad again, 10 or 14 years old. But not a nowadays one, I'd love to go back to MY childhood days, with no internet, no mobiles; I'd love to be out there playing hide and seek or footie in the park... that was a genuine bubble of happiness.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    Facebook (I'm not on it)...it's like comparing the best bits of someone else's life to your humdrum existence (well mine anyway) 
  • tone1 said:
    Facebook (I'm not on it)...it's like comparing the best bits of someone else's life to your humdrum existence (well mine anyway) 
    as i said to my ex wife when she complained about why we werent doing the things her facebook " friends" were 
    " if you have 400 friends, and i use the term loosely as some of them are people you have never even met, then at any one time someone somewhere will be doing something better than  you are" 

thats why she is an ex wife, or soon to be ex as the paperwork went in the post this very morning :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    tFB Trader
    I totally detest the whole ethos of Face book and probably social media as well - My election manifest would probably have closing it down as number one priority - so unlikely to be elected - after all who will vote for a bigoted old fool with such narrow minded thoughts eh !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I suppose its not social media that is at fault, but the twats who act like twats on it. Its given berks a platform to whiffle on about shite.

As have fora and other forms of self publication. T'internet gives all us gobby berks a voice eh?
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited February 2017
    If you're a member of a band, Facebook is probably the most vital social media tool to ever exist. It's fantastic for publicising your gigs and co-operating with other bands with a chance of gig swapping, pushing each others recordings etc. Not to mention having band discussions no matter where you are.

I really don't understand the hate it gets - if you don't like it, don't use it. If the content on your wall annoys you that much, you just have shitty friends.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3528

Not a fan myself.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • A few years ago, I read a magazine article that linked a rise in complaints at restaurants with the rise of social media.

It seems that numpties are so preoccupied with photographing and uploading pics of their meals... that, when they eventually get around to eating, the food is not quite as warm as it was when delivered to the table. Hence a rise in complaints about lukewarm food.