Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Facebook bragging

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Surely all of this mundanes is largely driven by boredom? I think a lot of people are really, really bored with their lives. They then either post mundanely or go to town when something exciting actually happens. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i miss the old days when you had to put a film in your camera, photograph your dinner, get the film developed at the chemist then go round each of your friends to show them the picture of your dinner. its all to easy now
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Having been a single parent for many years - certainly when my son was younger - I found it s useful way to indulge in some banter while he was in bed and I was on my own. 

It seems to be considered 'uncool' to use it much now - the antithesis of 'over-sharing'.

I've had some genuine laughs with it and developed some friendships which I probably wouldn't have done without it.

A bit like here - it's a matter of how you use it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i miss the old days when you had to put a film in your camera, photograph your dinner, get the film developed at the chemist then go round each of your friends to show them the picture of your dinner. its all to easy now
    Sexting was also so much better in the old days. It took a real man to send nude shots to a lady then. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2890
    i dont have facebook for this exact reason mate so i know where your coming from @jonnyburgo ;
    That's me too. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Sambostar said:
    I wouldn't even give my details to VOSA for a Restricted Use Operators licence, buggered if I'II give Facebook any of my details.  It is really annoying when people ask for your facebook account though and you've never had one. 

If you take your phone around with you socially and constantly update it or take photos you are plain sad, I haven't taken any photos of anything in public since 2000 odd.  It's like the person who you've never seen before down the local who turns their chair around, it's just not right and it's insular.

Do these people actually socialize in real life?  Or are they just a facade who get their social emotions off after the event in the past and the world of fiction?  Because by definition the worst Facebook addicted types are all about the past and that doesn't even exist anymore so it's effectively make believe.  It's not very conducive to balanced mental health when you always live in the past or make believe.  If you had several imaginary friends as a kid they'd call the child psychologist on you, but these days it seems to be the accepted norm.  They are all nuts.  Why don't they get addicted to something real like hard work, idleness, sex or drinking or drugs or something?

Agree though it can be useful for band and business stuff, but there it ends.  I still do the try and remember what they said face to face and ask someone else if I forget thing though but I'm old fashioned.  I won't do it for business though, because I'd never check it and that would effectively be a snub and bad for business, I don't even like checking my emails or texts or missed calls to be honest, it really irritates me.
    I agree. Paritcularly about living in the past, I'd never thought about it like that, but I think you are right.

Years ago, maybe 10, I was having dinner at some work thing, and was sitting next to a Japanese woman. When the food came out, she immediately got a camera out to take a photo of it. I asked her, politely, wtf are you doing? Why? do you all get together and get your photos of various meals out and have a "look what I had for dinner last week" evening?

the conversation was ultimately pointless. That was just what she did, and where is the harm in it, I suppose.

There is a growing trend to become massively self obsessed; social media enables it. Has social media caused it? DIfficult to say, but it certainly propels it. Selfies (now wtf is that all about, really), blogs, posts, duck face photos, look at me doing something great, somewhere, great, with all my great friends, etc etc.

Yes, you can filter your social media so that it focuses on stuff you are interested in, but its a hard job, because the very nature of the social media model relies on force feeding users information they hadn't completely planned to be fed: discover mode on Spotify, Genius, notifications on (insert social media platform). Not always a bad thing, but often its a massive pain in the arse.

I made a decision to opt out of it. Is my life poorer for it? Not a chance. Maybe I'm the odd one out: I don't care about other people's lives, other than my friends and family, and even there I don't want to see what they had for dinner last night, or who they went with, or where, or how wonderful their other friends are etc etc. I'll cover anything relevant or interesting next time I talk to them. In the meantime, I'll focus on what I am doing in the real physical world, today.

That's not (as it may sound) a criticism, but rather an explanation, I hope, of why I really don't like FB and the like. Anyone else, can of course do what they want, and that's up to them, not anyone else.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7907
    I got shot of FB nine years ago.  Was bollox then, and I'm pretty sure it's bollox now.  
    Great data collection device!

https://imgur.com/a/cHI0J

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4673
    you @Snap can have a wisdom for that 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    FBook a Twatter are wonderful platforms for taking Hysterical offence on though... Where would all the snowflakes go to do that otherwise??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I don't know who some of you have on your FB feeds - I tend to stick to my friends and have no bragging or any such thing.  We share pictures, funny (pointless) stuff, and amusing things that happened to us recently.  It's a small consolation prize; we all live so far apart these days it's not every day we can do that sort of thing in person.  It's not a replacement but I'd rather have it than not.

By the same token, without the aid of Facebook we've now run in to two pages of strangers moaning to each other on the internet about people sharing on the internet, it's all getting a bit meta.

As for airing dirty laundry in public, just a click away there are three pages of strangers discussing which word their wives use when referring to their genitalia.  :)
  • I have a policy with social media, to create before I consume. 

In other words, I won't go on it unless I have something creative to share, so up until recently I barely used it. Now I share photos, my project and soon my website blogs. Even so, that's not a huge amount. 

It's a distraction. I found myself comparing myself to other people, friends who have moved faster with their life than I have, and I have to remind myself that people move at different times. It actually makes me a bit unhappy, which is incredibly unproductive!
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Frustrating example for social media getting shite: Twitter,

Until recently, I liked it a lot as I had it set up and working as a news feed from bands and magazines that I like. That worked fine until Trump got in. Now every self righteous div is retweeting shite about Trump and my once concise news feed is now littered with guff that I have no interst at all in.

Same with the fekcing Oscars! Oscars!! who gives one? I don';t need some stuffed up bunch of self aggrandisng cronies to tell me what to watch!!

La la land my arse.

A right load of bollocks that is. Go watch Mama Mia as well you musical loving ponces.

• 57Deluxe said:
    FBook a Twatter are wonderful platforms for taking Hysterical offence on though... Where would all the snowflakes go to do that otherwise??
    Here?