Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Facebook bragging

What's Hot

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I actually think the worst thing facebook has brought about...

... is the number of people complaining about what other people choose to put on it.

I don't say this to scoff or shame the OP, because it's something many people do, and maybe if you've not thought about it much you don't think it's a problem. But I've seen people complain about pretty much everything you can do with facebook - complaining that everyone jumps on the celebrity death bandwagon, that someone posts too many pictures of their cat/dinner (usually separate items), that someone is too political, that someone only posts youtube videos, or invites too many people to too many events... basically, if you post something, someone, somewhere will be annoyed at it.

What do you do with that ? You can either never post anything for fear of offending someone, or post what you want to post because fuck those people.

I sincerely hope most people chose the second option.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    edited February 2017
    Along with a dry January I always keep off FB for the month, I was surprised by how needy it gets and how the notifications and the "do you know" spams start ramping up,like a needy child. This year I removed messenger from my phone along with the email used so nothing has been received....absolutely nothing........Its bloody lovely.

I have been on a couple of times this month but the need to constantly check has gone, I now don`t know about people lives who I used to know many moons ago and it makes me happy, in fact if it wasn't for the pages that I like and follow the account would be deleted, as said it is excellent for music, bands and interests. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Facebook is only as bad as you customise it to be.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited February 2017
    I wouldn't even give my details to VOSA for a Restricted Use Operators licence, buggered if I'II give Facebook any of my details.  It is really annoying when people ask for your facebook account though and you've never had one. 

If you take your phone around with you socially and constantly update it or take photos you are plain sad, I haven't taken any photos of anything in public since 2000 odd.  It's like the person who you've never seen before down the local who turns their chair around, it's just not right and it's insular.

Do these people actually socialize in real life?  Or are they just a facade who get their social emotions off after the event in the past and the world of fiction?  Because by definition the worst Facebook addicted types are all about the past and that doesn't even exist anymore so it's effectively make believe.  It's not very conducive to balanced mental health when you always live in the past or make believe.  If you had several imaginary friends as a kid they'd call the child psychologist on you, but these days it seems to be the accepted norm.  They are all nuts.  Why don't they get addicted to something real like hard work, idleness, sex or drinking or drugs or something?

Agree though it can be useful for band and business stuff, but there it ends.  I still do the try and remember what they said face to face and ask someone else if I forget thing though but I'm old fashioned.  I won't do it for business though, because I'd never check it and that would effectively be a snub and bad for business, I don't even like checking my emails or texts or missed calls to be honest, it really irritates me.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16134
    I totally detest the whole ethos of Face book and probably social media as well - My election manifest would probably have closing it down as number one priority - so unlikely to be elected - after all who will vote for a bigoted old fool with such narrow minded thoughts eh !
    Totally with you on this......largely THE  VOICE  OF  THE  VACUOUS .....
     The whole ethos is a ghastly self -promotion beloved of vacuous imbeciles insistent on headlining the trivium of their everyday lives.
    " Just walked the dog ".........."pizza for dinner "..........followed by photo of said Pizza .........etc ,etc
    And the culture that has grown around it ......"I have unfriended you " ,Troll etc etc......How we have "sucked -up "this American nonsense along with the pigeon English vernacular that is ubiquitous to the zeitgeist.
     I also think it is the cause of untold trouble in schools,teenage angst,girly spite, workplace disputes ,marriages and domestic harmony let alone Gang culture and crime.
    What is equally worrying is that this and 'Twatter ' (sic),which is even worse,have gained a level of testimonial status and respect in the commercial and business sense and to be seen without these media addendums is now considered somehow to be a mark of non-credibility or insignificance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33816
    So we should counter any positive posts with some negative ones in the interest of balance.
    Everytime I post a nice meal that I cook, I will post one the next day of how it ends up.
    It is going to be brown, most likely, unless I have beetroot.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    tFB Trader
    Dominic said:
    I totally detest the whole ethos of Face book and probably social media as well - My election manifest would probably have closing it down as number one priority - so unlikely to be elected - after all who will vote for a bigoted old fool with such narrow minded thoughts eh !
    Totally with you on this......largely THE  VOICE  OF  THE  VACUOUS .....
     The whole ethos is a ghastly self -promotion beloved of vacuous imbeciles insistent on headlining the trivium of their everyday lives.
    " Just walked the dog ".........."pizza for dinner "..........followed by photo of said Pizza .........etc ,etc
    And the culture that has grown around it ......"I have unfriended you " ,Troll etc etc......How we have "sucked -up "this American nonsense along with the pigeon English vernacular that is ubiquitous to the zeitgeist.
     I also think it is the cause of untold trouble in schools,teenage angst,girly spite, workplace disputes ,marriages and domestic harmony let alone Gang culture and crime.
    What is equally worrying is that this and 'Twatter ' (sic),which is even worse,have gained a level of testimonial status and respect in the commercial and business sense and to be seen without these media addendums is now considered somehow to be a mark of non-credibility or insignificance.
    I heard a story of two girls who spent 3/4 years together at Uni and had a great time - both moved away and kept in touch by facebook - then they suddenly realised they had not actually spoken to each other for ages, had a laugh and a natter for ages - So they called each other, got a glass or two of wine together with some chocs and had a great hour talking, laughing and catching up - Facebook had taken that moment away from them - the honest interaction
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    octatonic said:
    So we should counter any positive posts with some negative ones in the interest of balance.
    Everytime I post a nice meal that I cook, I will post one the next day of how it ends up.
    It is going to be brown, most likely, unless I have beetroot.
    We need scratch and sniff computer/tablet/phone screens
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33816
    edited February 2017
    Dear world, had an amazing asphixiwank earlier- nearly went too far this time but hey-ho, it is all good.
    Accidentally killed a pensioner with my car but no-one saw so I think I'm safe.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7526
    The thing is, you can tune what you see, by either un-friending or choosing not to get the updates of the folk who annoy you - easy peasy. 

Some TV is shit, but that doesn't mean I don't want a TV. 

Facebook is a broadcast medium - make different choices :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I miss the travel updates from @TimmyO ;
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Photo of Asparagus ....caption "Smelly wee day "
    Thanks for that 
    Sums up 70 %of the medium's traffic !
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7526
    I miss the travel updates from @TimmyO ;
    haha - you'd be amazed at the number people who tell me that. I used to use it to genuinely destress but ithad a bit of a following :-) 

No employment = no commuting now 
    Red ones are better. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited February 2017
    On a counter side to this: A friend died recently and I had not got round to catching up with her before she did, so was a shock when I went onto her FBook to catch up.

I derived some comfort over the next handful of weeks catching posts of condolences and generally flicking through some past pics and  posts as a way of piecing it all together... Then her dumbfuck ignorant offspring pulled the page down a week after the funeral! Brutal to say the least...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    If you're a member of a band, Facebook is probably the most vital social media tool to ever exist. It's fantastic for publicising your gigs and co-operating with other bands with a chance of gig swapping, pushing each others recordings etc. Not to mention having band discussions no matter where you are.

I really don't understand the hate it gets - if you don't like it, don't use it. If the content on your wall annoys you that much, you just have shitty friends.
    Absolutely. Its very useful, really easy to customize and no forces you to use it.

It's amazing how many people keep using things that they don't like that they don't have to use. It's an attitude I've never understood.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12403
    One of my faves when I was on it was this one "just had a bath LOL" what the fuck?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Ah ,but it was posted by an Hydrophobic dog 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3528
    ''In Asda doing the shopping, god I hate supermarkets!''  Good for you, tell the world.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Yeah, it's like all those people going onto internet forums and telling everyone how much they hate pointless Facebook bragging posts..

...oh. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom