Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

84 Tokai - Refinish conundrum

What's Hot

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    edited February 2014
    Cheers @usedtobe. It's not surf green per se but extremely close. The paint factor needed a RAL code so I just plumped for this 'Pastel green' as it was easily accessible. Seems popular on old Vespas and VW campers.

Well, just picked up my paint. I've had a final flat of the body with some 4000 grade micromesh and it's now very smooth with zero imperfections. All that remains is to spray. At this late stage I still haven't decide on poly lacquer or nitro to go over the green basecoat.....

The micromesh ranges from 1500 to 8000 grade and will be used to treat my frets to the polish of their life. I've used it in the past and it is very effective.

Latest pics:

Next, to apply the basecoat and (whatever) lacquer.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72399
    I'd go with nitro - that way you get the hardness of the polyester which will protect the wood, but with the natural aging and feel of the nitro. There is a reason this combination is what Fender use on their CS Relics :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

You're right. I like nitro as you can always polish it back after spraying if you do get any dust in it. Poly is very unforgiving as you know. So, nitro it is.

Before I bought my paint today I tried to mix my own surf green variant using a pale yellow I had and some pale blue, adding a bit of white throughout. The results are below. It was pretty close but a mate told me to stop being a tight arse and get what I really wanted. He was right I suppose as the nitro basecoat only set me back 20 quid. 

The basecoat is on. I applied 4 even coats to achieve a good solid body with no chance of translucency.

Lacquer in the next half an hour.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Loving that colour.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72399
    I think you may have a queue of forum members wanting things painted now…

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ooo shit. Honestly though, I don't mind helping anyone out within reason.

Well the basecoat is still a bit soft to the thumbnail for my liking so I'm leaving it for another half hour or I'll inevitably be waiting for a month for it to harden after the nitro has gone on.

I've just freshened the neck up while I'm waiting. Quick mask off then worked up from 1500 to 8000 grade micromesh then a good coat of lemon oil.

edited February 2014
    Multiple pics again. Apologies. I've tried to capture the shine you get with the micromesh. It looks better in real life. Mirror-like.

Right. Lacquer.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Brilliant to watch this @Deadman..

Oh, and I've got these 14 bodies under my stairs that could do with a bit of a blow-over...

No rush, by Easter OK for you? ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Really good seeing this come together.
    You are doing a fantastic job, both with the pics and the finishing.
    Nice one.
    :)

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    I use the Stew Mac micro mesh pads on frets when I do stoning jobs - and it truly gives a finish on the frets that you struggle to get with any other media. It gives such a wonderful playing surface!
    Looking superb, mate.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I've never tried micro mesh, might have to dig some out.. Is there somewhere in the UK flogging it?

Hey thanks for all the kind comments lads.

Jooky. I could do 14 by easter no sweat, if I didn't have to come to this awful thing called work!

Well, the nitro lacquer is on. It's had 5 coats as I want to be able to buff it without the risk of going through to the basecoat. It's just dawned on me actually that I won't be putting this back together as quickly as I would have if I'd stuck poly on it, but all good things come to those who wait I suppose.

A couple of pics then I'm off home for a shower and a beer:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Deadman;156714" said:
    Ooo shit. Honestly though, I don't mind helping anyone out .
    Excellent I've got a spare room that needs doing if you don't mind popping round? ;)

Seriously though it looks excellent and I totally approve the colour choice. Huge props for the level of skill for a pro job. :D
    Thanks Adam. I ain't doing no spare room though
    ;)