Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

84 Tokai - Refinish conundrum

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3908
    Leave it ICBM! >:D<
    And thanks usetobe.
    John: access to a spray booth, spray guns and the fact that I was an aircraft painter for 22 years has helped. The oly white is poly too. I was reassembling after 12 hours. It's cured rock hard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    That is 10million times nicer than the original Scumburst, IMHO.... Very nice... have a wow.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Thanks man. It looks better in real life. Even the missus is impressed!
  • Nicely done Deadman.

I don't normally like green guitars, but I actually liked what you did with yours, till that slight "mishap" with the "relic-ing".  (quick and decisive action to get the colour you wanted)

But that does look so nice in white, classic and classy, and given how much you like this guitar that seems like a pretty good outcome to me.

Like a few others on here, I can hardly believe the speed and gusto with which you tore through what to many looks like a massive undertaking.  Looks like a labour of love.  And the quality of your workmanship shines through.

Thanks for doing so many "in progress" photographs and sharing both them and the thought process behind this story, I really enjoyed following this.

You have a very nice guitar now, with a new lease of life, enjoy 
    :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great stuff Deadman. You clearly have the knowledge mate. All three finishes look(ed) top... loving the Ford orange too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Beautiful :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

Thanks again for the positive words, gents.
    However I'm at an unfair advantage completely when you say I work quickly. What helps (for example) is that we used to have to chemically paint strip 10 coats of chemical resistant poly off a red arrow (wearing full butyl rubber suits) in two days flat before the days of plastic media stripping! And you wonder how I get done so quickly....The painting part is just a pleasure.
    This latest exercise does leave me wanting though. I desperately want to find a very beat up, cheap US Tele and nitro it the old fashioned way, with sander sealer and cellulose basecoat that will wear in an old fashioned manner.
    That day will come, but in the meantime, I love my old Goldstar. The pickups rule. Now it feels good too.
    Cheers.
  • Just seen this.  Great job.  Though not hugely expensive, those Goldstar sounds are worth putting the work into to make them right, to my mind.

Seriously well done.

I was talking to someone at an aircraft respray operation quite recently.  What they don't tell you, and what makes it all the more impressive, is that the paint has to be so perfectly sprayed that the aircraft can't be unbalanced by a ridiculously small amount (I forget, but it's in single figures of Lbs) at either end, so the accuracy has to be phenomenal.
    Thanks cacofonix, I haven't put it down since I got it home. It's better than any US Fender I ever owned, including both deluxes I've had. Maybe not in terms of the neck but certainly in tone. Cheers.
    ...by the way, all aircraft paint depth is measured using a micrometer, but most older RAF types are like patchwork quilts due to the amount of touch ups!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I'm personally not a fan of tortie 'plates, but I'm an old man so who cares?

Good work that man - looks great :D
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    Cacofonix said:
    I was talking to someone at an aircraft respray operation quite recently.  What they don't tell you, and what makes it all the more impressive, is that the paint has to be so perfectly sprayed that the aircraft can't be unbalanced by a ridiculously small amount (I forget, but it's in single figures of Lbs) at either end, so the accuracy has to be phenomenal.
    Wonder what the balance is like on this one?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks Lixarto.
    ICBM I've discussed that with Mr D himself. He's a nice fella. Work related.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    Deadman said:
    ICBM I've discussed that with Mr D himself. He's a nice fella. Work related.
    Did you do the tail fin graphic?!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That's a lovely job. Nice one!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Thanks Sticky!

ICBM, sadly no. I just often find myself in the same office as him.
  • ICBM said:
    Cacofonix said:
    Wonder what the balance is like on this one?

I doubt it's out by more than an ace  ;)