Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

84 Tokai - Refinish conundrum

What's Hot

Comments

• JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    Mick, that looks absolutely fantastic! Can't wait to wire it up mate. Those pickups are so sweet!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16691

I tend to just wire wool my frets for shine, 
    I never skimp on getting decent wire wool... but the shine from micromesh is something else

do the finish stuff you need to then try it on some frets and you will be amazed how good they can look and feel.   it will do all your guitars even if they are stainless steel.  the only think that stops it lasting is sharp fret ends so i go over those with wet and dry first
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That looks quality!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• WezV said:

I tend to just wire wool my frets for shine, 
    I never skimp on getting decent wire wool... but the shine from micromesh is something else

do the finish stuff you need to then try it on some frets and you will be amazed how good they can look and feel.   it will do all your guitars even if they are stainless steel.  the only think that stops it lasting is sharp fret ends so i go over those with wet and dry first
    Very cool.  Just need to find a decent supplier now, seems hard to get hold of! 

Sounds like it's worth it though.  I'll experiment with it on wudtone and let you know how I get on, although my Tele is miles better finished than the jazzmaster, you can still see rub marks so if it removes that, it'll be great.  Better yet if it makes all my necks super fast. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3908
    See you tomorrow Jimmy!

Micromesh is available on ebay and amazon from various sellers, you get it in 6" squares generally. Costs about 6 quid for a range of grades. I use tiny amounts on frets, maybe 1" squares. If you're polishing paint, keep it wet or it clogs.

Just shop around and get the best value kit you can find. The foam blocks you sometimes get with them are very handy too.
    Well, I started reassembling today and have decided I don't like green afterall. So Olympic white it soon will be.
    Whoops

I'm going to have to check out this micromesh gubbins.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Deadman said:
    Whoops

A bit over reliced for my tastes!!!
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Aw schucks, I liked the 'years of exposure to highly flammable thinners' look. I'm gonna have to respray it now.
  • Love this thread, love what you've achieved. Its going to look bloody lovely! Nice one
    Thanks. It's all finished now and reassembled. I've just been trying to find the sweet spots for the pickup heights, still can't believe how superb this sounds considering it was Tokai's entry level Strat in 1984!
    I'll take some pics tomorrow and pop them on here to conclude the thread.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72392
    There's still time to do it black, at the rate you work :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Oh I was very close to doing it last night, believe me. I'll do it with the next one.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Two things: First, that Strat shape is sooo "organic", and second, only a Strat gets away with that colour. Superb!

It didn't stay like that for long, Chilli. To conclude the thread, a couple of pics to finish off as promised:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wow - lovely!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72392
    Nice job!

Wrong colour, but a nice job anyway :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Great work!   Looks very nice :)

But how do you do them so quickly? Amazing speed - have you got a secret weapon for helping for paint to dry?