Tested out some FRFR/active speakers with a Helix today

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Think of it like something like a JVM... each channel has a volume, and then there is a master volume.

Use the channel volumes to adjust the relative levels between clean, crunch, high-gain, and lead... and then use the master volume to avoid pissing off the sound engineer (as it were) !!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72342
    If Barefaced ever made guitar cabs you lot wouldn't know what to do with yourselves
    I've actually been wondering why one of their cabs wouldn't work for guitar...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    If Barefaced ever made guitar cabs you lot wouldn't know what to do with yourselves
    I've actually been wondering why one of their cabs wouldn't work for guitar...
    FR800 does for a modeller - it's an FRFR

Most of their cabs don't have tweeters, but they are tuned to low end... but maybe?
  • I don't understand why you'd be messing with the master so much? At home when I was using a poweramp and speakers I set the master, left it, did everything else from the patches. You've got fine control of the level by fractions of decibels on the blocks.
    Thank you so much for all your help mate, I really appreciate it. This is mainly just me being new to it all really...for years I've used master volume on the amp to get levels correct, I just need to learn to use amp level's as you say. :-)
    There's a lot of ways to do things so I guess you just need to find what works for you.

At least you're getting sound now lol
    Haha, you're right there! I can't believe I messed that initial cabling up. Thanks for your help with that!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I assign the exp to give me 0 to 7 do on the output block (doesn't mess with the amp volumes at all) just over all volume boost
    works beautifully 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    In the hi-fi world, the use of digital volume controls is minuscule. As I understand it, a digital volume control loses bits to reduce the volume so reducing the volume digitally lower the sound quality.  Not something that is desired.  I don't understand the technology that is being discussed in this thread but, if possible, keep the volume controls analogue and not digital. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Rocker said:
    a digital volume control loses bits to reduce the volume so reducing the volume
    Not my understanding of it.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Yeah I'll ignore that thanks
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28204
    Rocker said:
    a digital volume control loses bits to reduce the volume so reducing the volume digitally lower the sound quality
    Absolute codswallop.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88

So now I'm dithering!

I was thinking of a Matrix GT series amp with my Helix, powering my Marshall 2x12. But the point of a Helix for me is having all the lovely amp sounds. For a covers band I think it's a no brainer. And that's me. Covers band & no brains

But an all in one also appeals, especially on the less weight front. Assuming I get back out playing in a band, I like being able to hear myself - no iem's etc and probably no stage monitors. Cos that's what I'm used to.

Will the Yamaha's be powerful enough to use on-stage with Animal on the drums (or a local approximation)so that everyone else can hear me? Obviously I'd feed it into a PA as well for t'punters.

I don't want to buy the wrong stuff, as it were

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    A DXR10 is ridiculously loud, I've gigged it not through the PA as just backline with another guitarist, loud drummer and bass player with loads of volume to spare, didn't even put it through the PA
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 36
    John_A said:
    A DXR10 is ridiculously loud, I've gigged it not through the PA as just backline with another guitarist, loud drummer and bass player with loads of volume to spare, didn't even put it through the PA

That's my experience with it as well. Same band line up and exactly the same way of using it (i.e. backline only) and it had plenty of power to spare. The DXR10 is doubling up as amplification for the helix and my keyboard and I've never had a problem being heard.
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited March 2017
    I've finally settled down on a QSC K8 .. the sounds I'm getting from it and the AX8 are insanely good + it's super compact and light.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ^ that's one cute portable rig!  
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    Very neat!  I didn't think to try any 8s
    Red ones are better. 
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited March 2017
    TimmyO said:
    Very neat!  I didn't think to try any 8s
    It works like a charm.. the qsc has 3 low end settings so I can get pretty bass heavy if required but for now I'm happy with the flat setting.

that on a small gig bag + the ax8 makes everything very easy to carry around! My whole setup is less than 20kg
    Those QSCs are lovely speakers - not cheap, but you get an awful lot for your money.
  • @cbellanga how did the QSC compare to the Yamaha? If you don't mind me asking? Such a cool looking rig!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    edited March 2017
    Sporky said:
    Rocker said:
    a digital volume control loses bits to reduce the volume so reducing the volume digitally lower the sound quality
    Absolute codswallop.

Obviously @fretmeister  @Sporky  you both how it is done but the general consensus on using a Sonus system and taking the digital out and into your DAC is to set the Sonus volume control at 100% and control the volume using the analogue volume control on your amp. I tried this myself and concurr with the consensus.

Your experiences may be different to mine but I am telling it as I found it. Or to put it another way, why corrupt the output of a Helix or similar and send same output into a FRFR active speaker (which amplifies 'accurately' what is input).
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:

I tried this myself and concurr with the consensus.
    In a well controlled test?

(it's OK, I know it wasn't and thus is meaningless anecdata)