Tested out some FRFR/active speakers with a Helix today

What's Hot

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    @fretmeister. Gave the DXR10 a try with a EB USA sub through th Helix running the Ampeg model.  Only at home but it got very loud before I chickened out worrying about it blowing up.  Probably not rock backline loud, but certainly pop band rehearsal volume and sounded very good indeed.  Just how loud it would go I don't really know, but it's oomph blind it's size 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    Thank you.

looknig at the specs of the 10 and the 12 there doesn't seem to be any difference except the cone size.

But I suppose if FRFR for stage monitoring then it should be the PA taking the strain.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    I'll stick my P with flats through it later in the week when I can get some time with nobody else home 
    Red ones are better. 
    Cool!
    Thank you.

looknig at the specs of the 10 and the 12 there doesn't seem to be any difference except the cone size.

But I suppose if FRFR for stage monitoring then it should be the PA taking the strain.
    It would certainly do as backline for a small pub with a not ridiculously loud band, but sub octave fuzziness at rock levels you would need some reinforcement 
    My plan is to off load some kit so I can try one for guitar use, and at the same time I can compare them with my existing bass cabs.

If they perform as well as I hope, then I can think about selling the bass cabs too.
    Just listening to this...

Is it my imagination or could the differences in the sounds be dealt with by a different IR / Cab sim relatively easily?
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Just listening to this...

Is it my imagination or could the differences in the sounds be dealt with by a different IR / Cab sim relatively easily?
    I'm not sure how much I can get from a you tube recording of a PA speaker TBH.
    It's a bit like a demo of 4K telly on a standard def set
    I think if the weight of the 12 is palatable then stick with your existing stuff. It's a big difference. 
    Red ones are better. 
    My existing guitar stuff is a trad 2x12 with a power amp.

I quite like the idea of fannying about with stereo - and I've been offered a part x involving a bass I have and a Pair of DXR12.

The 10s would probably be more than enough - but a trade deal would also be easy.

Mmmm
    A pair of DXR's, 10's or 12's is a big investment, I would try some with  your bass to make sure they'll do what you want first
    Doh, I was looking at the wrong weights.

The 12s are 10lb heavier than the 10s.

Cannot be arsed with that anymore.
    Doh, I was looking at the wrong weights.

The 12s are 10lb heavier than the 10s.

Cannot be arsed with that anymore.
    that's what I meant! 

I can see the appeal in the swapsie though. 

In one of the videos i trawled in reseach there's a guy deming an Atomic cab and a DXR10

In that demo he prefers the Atomic (as to be fair did I) but he says it stays at home and he gigs the DXR10 due to convenience and 'almost as good' (this was for guitar) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28200
    10lb is only 4.54kg though.

So get metric ones.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I might even sell a bass to get there a little quicker.

Maybe a pedal or 2 as well.

• A pair of DXR10s were a great investment, as far as I'm concerned. Lovely speakers.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • So like, correct me if I'm wrong here (being someone about to pull the trigger on a Helix or Kemper)

At home, you go Helix > DXR10, which with the right IR's, sounds good even when really quiet?

At a show, you go Helix > DXR10 (on-stage) > Helix direct out to PA (with a good IR?)

Am I right?

Also what about headphones with the Helix? 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    So like, correct me if I'm wrong here (being someone about to pull the trigger on a Helix or Kemper)

At home, you go Helix > DXR10, which with the right IR's, sounds good even when really quiet?

At a show, you go Helix > DXR10 (on-stage) > Helix direct out to PA (with a good IR?)

Am I right?

Also what about headphones with the Helix? 
    Helix > DXR10, for home and rehearsal.
    Helix > DXR10 > desk, for gigs (using the 'Thru' on the DXR)

Just got back from first rehearsal with Helix - sounded epically good. Can't wait to gig it on Saturday now!
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Quick question actually, are you Helix chaps diming the DXR's at gigs? Or running them on the mic setting for a few extra dB's?

I had the DXR volume around 3 o'clock (line input) and the Helix master volume somewhere between 1 and 2 o'clock. It was loud but I reckon I'll need a bit more come Saturday.
    edited April 2017
    I run the 1/4 out from the Helix to the DXR and the XLR to the PA with the volume knob only controlling the 1/4 inch that way I can control my monitor volume from the Helix without affecting the sound out front.  I run the DXR at 0 DB and normally have the Helix volume about half way.