What have I done? Guitar sounds awful..

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    robgilmo said:
    Bugger, it would seem my bottom E was closer than my top E, I cant really fix that now, bottom e is around 0.05, capo on 3rd, a little loose with the feeler under it but the next one up is 0.20 and that lifts the string. Bottom e is , well pretty much the same, I'm not going any closer I don't think.
    At capo 3 have you still got a tap of movement when you push the string onto the 1st fret?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3493
    Yeah, tiny little bit. Feeler says a loose 0.05 mm.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Does it matter what I glue this in with, I guess not but i have a Choice of superglue or Hyde glue, super glue probable better?
    robgilmo said:
    Does it matter what I glue this in with, I guess not but i have a Choice of superglue or Hyde glue, super glue probable better?
    Couple of small dabs - you only need to hold it down, not glue it for life..
    robgilmo said:
    Should be ok. Only one way to find out ;)
    Ive glued it down now, if there is a problem its not the end of the world, the nut is 9 quid so I can always start over. I reckon it will be fine. I will let the glue dry a little then restring it then start on the relief , intonation and action adjustments if it needs any.
    To be fair though its paddy's day and I've started on the Jamesons so if I get this finished tonight I probably wont remember any of it tomorrow.
    Guys thank you very much for your help so far, its been greatly appreciated.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72408
    robgilmo said:
    A bit tight on the low E, but as long as there *is* a gap it should be OK.

Essentially you're trying to make the nut the same height as the first fret, but just allowing a tiny bit of clearance for wear and neck relief changes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ah, Ok, looks good then. If it buzzes I can always adjust the action then?
    robgilmo said:
    Ah, Ok, looks good then. If it buzzes I can always adjust the action then?
    Or the relief..
    Ah see, there was me thinking I knew what I was talking about, I change a nut and all of a sudden I'm a luthier. So I take it more relief will give me more clearance at the first fret, how sensitive is that when you compare changes at the first to changes at the twelfth?  I guess if its buzzing a knits breath could change that? 
    edited March 2017
    robgilmo said:
    Ah see, there was me thinking I knew what I was talking about, I change a nut and all of a sudden I'm a luthier. So I take it more relief will give me more clearance at the first fret, how sensitive is that when you compare changes at the first to changes at the twelfth?  I guess if its buzzing a knits breath could change that? 
    Adding relief is just putting a slight forward bow in the neck - meaning there's more 'room' for the strings to vibrate. Problem is, all necks are different - some like a bit more relief than others to get that 'sweet spot' where you minimise buzz at the lower frets and up to the twelfth for a given action. Some like it near on flat, others with a bit more of a curve. I've got an Olympic which likes it ironing board flat, and a ricky which likes about 012 of an inch relief. Depending on how well your frets are dressed will determine the lowest action height you can get. 

I'd get it strung and tuned up - check the nut clearance at 1st fret again, set the relief to about 010 of an inch and then action as a starter to 2mm low E and 1.6mm high E. Check for buzzing across the board, then lower each string a touch. Rinse and repeat. As soon as you get buzzing, back up a bit and you've got to the best position. You will have to watch the balance across the strings matching fretboard radius etc. but broadly you'd be there. Buzzing at one end or the other? Tweak the rod accordingly (only a touch) and then off you go again.

And don't worry, I'm absolutely not a luthier, but I do set up my own instruments. I won't refret (scary) but I think it's a skill all guitarists should try to get - can make a crap guitar great.
    Thanks man, its still sat waiting for the glue to dry so I doubt Ill get much more done to it tonight, relief at present at 7th fret is roughly .25 mm but Ill have a play and see if it still buzzes, I had to attack the low E quite hard to make it buzz, something I probably wouldn't do during normal playing unless I was stoshless and banging out some acoustic tunes in which case it doesn't really matter. I might paly it a bit tonight and then get back to it over the week end but to be honest Ive just put fisherman's blues on the cd player and I'm way to tipsy now to even pee with any kind of accuracy, Paddys day has caught up with me. 
    robgilmo said:
    Thanks man, its still sat waiting for the glue to dry so I doubt Ill get much more done to it tonight, relief at present at 7th fret is roughly .25 mm but Ill have a play and see if it still buzzes, I had to attack the low E quite hard to make it buzz, something I probably wouldn't do during normal playing unless I was stoshless and banging out some acoustic tunes in which case it doesn't really matter. I might paly it a bit tonight and then get back to it over the week end but to be honest Ive just put fisherman's blues on the cd player and I'm way to tipsy now to even pee with any kind of accuracy, Paddys day has caught up with me. 
    Sounds like a job for tomorrow chap :)
    I reckon so, I'm way to wobbly to continue, thank god for autocorrect! but I've put a good dent in it with your help,  thanks man, Ill crack on over the week end. Happy paddy's day guys! 
    Ok guys, talk to me about neck relief, I'm setting up the action, at current the relief is a loose 0.25, capo on first and held down on last fret, fender recommends this gap.
    The problem is I am getting buzzing from my E and A strings, I have adjusted the action to around 2mm on the 17th and its clearing but not quite gone yet.
    Is this a relief thing?
    Where is the buzzing? if it's in the low positions, increase the relief. If it's in the high positions, increase the bridge height.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Its all the way up to the 12th, E, A and D strings, a little on the G.
    I'm going to put some 10's on it that ive had in my cupboard, it has 9's on at the moment, that might increase relief a little?
    robgilmo said:
    I'm going to put some 10's on it that ive had in my cupboard, it has 9's on at the moment, that might increase relief a little?
    Yes, probably. Heavier strings tend to audibly buzz slightly less anyway.

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Probs already mentioned but if action lowered also lower pickup height by same amount.  Does it play and sustain well acoustically?  Lastly make sure cable is ok and nothing has got into or maybe moved bit of 1/4" jack