What have I done? Guitar sounds awful..

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3493
    New strings are on, rattling like a good one. It seems to be on every string now more or less but centred around 4th to 9th fret.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    robgilmo said:
    New strings are on, rattling like a good one. It seems to be on every string now more or less but centred around 4th to 9th fret.
    What was the relief again?
    Still 0.25 at the 8th
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    robgilmo said:
    Still 0.25 at the 8th
    .25mm? Try it at .35mm (.014in) and work back from there
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Sounds like you may have a hump in the neck if it's rattling from 4-9 but not below that, unless the nut is far too high.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I think the nut is lower on the low E , A than it should be, or lower than I would have liked. This is how it came out of the packet, I had to sand the treble end slightly but a hairs thickness.

Ive raised the saddles up until the buzzing went away, the action isn't what I would call low, I have not measured it yet but its not too bad. I will have another play with it tonight. I haven't touched the neck relief yet, after taking the strings off last night I thought it best to let it settle with the new strings on it first, I don't know if that matters or not. 10's have made a huge difference in how it plays, I wasn't expecting everything to tighten up so much, it feels more like an acoustic now.
    Another thing I noticed was the pickups were way low, I raised them to Fender spec and it sounds much better now, more electric if that makes sense.