Every CD I own . . .

What's Hot

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7870
    Day 101

CD#434 The Works - Beware Of The Dog

A quick search suggests I acquired this at one of Steve Lawson's Darbucka evenings, which I assume must have included Patrick Wood, the composer/arranger + guitars/keyboards of this 2005 jazz album.

CD#435 Gary Dunne - Twenty Twenty Fiction

Not completely sure where I got this, but his use of loops to create backing for his acoustic singer-songwriter material hints that it might have been another Darbucka evening.

CD#436 Michael Rattray Allstars - untitled

Seven acoustic songs from Michael (and Gavin).

CD#437 Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes

Not sure how I came to own this as instrumental rock guitar isn't really my kind of thing, but own it I do so I'm listening.

CD#438 Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Spanish Dance Troupe

Their sixth album, the last to feature founder member John Lawrence.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    Day 102

CD#439 Various Artists - Out Of Our Idiot

A multitude of songs from Elvis Costello in different guises and backed by different musicians, some rare some previously unreleased.

CD#440 Boo Hewerdine - A Live One

The title gives away the surprise, so you might have guessed that this is a live album. One with an interesting story though, in that it's a recording of (at the time) Boo's first solo acoustic gig for a number of years and a gig that re-energised him and provided a new enthusiasm for recording and touring.

CD#441 Tim Finn - Before and After

His 4th solo album, the first after joining and then leaving Crowded House.

CD#442 Cast - All Change

Their debut album, after John Power left The La's.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27792
    Day 100 - I don't have either of those

:-O

Day 101 - I don't have *any* of those

Day 102 - ditto.

Have you been saving up all your obscure stuff???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Day 100 - I don't have either of those

Day 101 - I don't have *any* of those

Day 102 - ditto.

Have you been saving up all your obscure stuff???
    Not deliberately ;)

I have tried to spread the ones I have a lot of and out of the ones I have left (24!) only two are by the same artist (Jonatha Brooke) and three are by artists not already mentioned, including one I've just listened to (Cast).

edited June 2016
    Day 103

CD#443 Bob Dylan and The Band - Before The Flood

Live recordings from various dates on a 1974 US Tour. While I don't usually don't have a problem with Bob Dylan's singing there are a couple of songs on here that are hard work and on the whole I prefer The Band's performances of their own material.

CD#444 R.E.M - Dead Letter Office

B-sides, rarities and a few covers, plus the five songs from their debut Chronic Town EP.

CD#445 Max Richter - 24 Postcards In Full Colour

Neo-classical/ambient snippets. The longest piece 2:49, most around a minute long.

CD#446 Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers -  Rock 'n' Roll with the Modern Lovers

Second album from a new line up, though the drummer David Robinson had originally remained (he later co-formed The Cars and continues to play with them) he left before this was recorded. This is as lo-fi and naive as the first album.

Day 104

CD#447 Steve Lawson - Behind Every Word

10 years old now, but still fresh and interesting to listen to even if it has been a while.

CD#448 Jonatha Brooke - Live

Her third solo album, and the first release on her own label, Bad Dog Records.

edited June 2016
    Day 105

CD#449 Elvis Costello - Brutal Youth

This was the first album to feature all of The Attractions in eight years, they toured and released a second album before Bruce Thomas ended his association with EC completely.

CD#450 Hensley & Wright - Glass Bridges

A quick search reveals that more often then not it's Chris Newman & Stella Hensley these days, but they're occasionally joined by Johnny "Magic Boy" Wright with whom she recorded this.

CD#451 Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds

Music written and recorded for the soundtrack to a film La Vallée, just before it all took off with Dark Side Of The Moon.

CD#452 Small Faces - Best Of

A 14 track complilation, I've left a few Best Of CDs out because I subsequently bought most of what was on them, but there are quite a few really good Small Faces songs on here that I haven't already heard, and while I heard Afterglow on CD#41 back on Day 9 I'm more than happy to hear it again.

- - - - -
    Only 14 left now, so I'll be finished this week :) 
    - - - - -

CD#453 The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics

Their eleventh album, the most recent of the three of theirs that I own - I should buy some more.

edited June 2016
    Day 106

CD#454 Joni Mitchell - Ladies Of The Canyon

My favourite of the five I've listened to, it feels a little toned down in terms of her vocal style, but none the worse for that.

CD#455 Steely Dan - Gaucho

There are many bands where you can easily hear where in the timeline of album releases a particular album sits, and then there's Steely Dan. This is their seventh of nine albums but it could easily be the second, or a Donald Fagen solo album, or a Walter Becker solo album (IIRC, I have his second solo album, Circus Money as a download but haven't listened for a while).

CD#456 Meshell Ndegeocello - Dance Of The Infidel

Her sixth, a jazz album with a Meshell groove.

CD#457 The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come

. . . and with that, they were gone.

CD#458 Fischer Z - Reveal

The first of John Watts' solo albums released under the Fisher Z name (original band member Steve Skolnik plays keyboards on one track). 

I don't want this to end.

Get back to the market and buy up the stock ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    I don't want this to end.

Get back to the market and buy up the stock ...
    Heh - I've got 250 or so vinyl LPs, and only a few have already been listened to as CDs (Elvis Costello/XTC/The Jam etc.) so I can do those next (I've already got the blog set up) - they're all going to be pre-2000 (apart from one recent purchase) and there are quite a few I've not heard for a very long time.
    edited June 2016
    Day 107

CD#459 Bruce Springsteen - The River

You could probably make a case for cutting this down to a single album, but nevertheless there's some great music on here.

CD#460 Marillion - B'Sides Themselves

The last release before Fish left, it includes Grendel, Market Square Heroes (one of my favourites) and Freaks.

CD#461 The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

Not bad for a debut album . . . and this CD version has 6 extra tracks including one of my favourites, The Wind Cries Mary.

CD#462 Jonatha Brooke - Back In The Circus

Apart from The Works (which has all the lyrics written by Woody Guthrie) this is the only album (that I'm aware of) that includes a co-write and also covers - The Beach Boys, James Taylor and The Alan Parsons Project (Eye In The Sky - which is coincidentally is the only thing by The Alan Parsons Project that I own, on a flexi disc).

Day 108

CD#463 Mott The Hoople - Greatest Hits

Ian Hunter started his career with a band based in Northampton and was an apprentice at British Timken, a mile or so from where I live. Eleven tracks is quite meagre for a Greatest Hits, but worth it for Roll Away The Stone on its own.

CD#464 Bob Marley and The Wailers - Mellow Moods

40 tracks on 2 CDs, bought from . . . where else ? Exmouth Indoor Market.
    Not by any means a Greatest Hits and none the worse for that.

CD#465 Supertramp - Retrospectacle

Another compilation, 32 tracks on 2 CDs this time and very much a Greatest Hits collection, with lots of great songs.

CD#466 Barenaked Ladies - Disc One 1991-2001

A collection of most of their singles released in the first 10 years of the band. 

. . . and until I buy some more CDs that's that.

I gave myself 32 weeks (4 CDs a day, 5 days a week) and finished in less than 16, which has surprised me, as I wasn't keeping note.

If I'd planned things better/at all, then I wouldn't have finished with four compilations, but such is life. It's been fun, mostly, and there are a number of albums that I'll look at with more fondness than I had before I started, some that will always be favourites and some that will almost certainly never be listened to again . . . at least I gave them one more try.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Paul_C said:
    CD#463 Mott The Hoople - Greatest Hits

Ian Hunter started his career with a band based in Northampton and was an apprentice at British Timken, a mile or so from where I live. Eleven tracks is quite meagre for a Greatest Hits, but worth it for Roll Away The Stone on its own.

I think I must have heard Mott subconsciously back in the day without realising or remembering who they were.

Roll forward (quite) a few years and I stumbled across them again - can't remember where or how - and steadily worked my way through a lot of their recorded output.  OK, so some of it is pretty weak, but I'd argue that the classics are still pretty strong songs.

Paul_C said:

. . . and until I buy some more CDs that's that.

Noooooooooo !!!

I've really enjoyed this view into your listening life and it's prompted me to listen to stuff I've not clicked on for a while (my casual listening is on mp3s nowadays) and also to hunt down some new stuff on Spotify.

Thanks Paul!
    It's been fun, the vinyl should be fun too as there are definitely a few more random (and embarrassing) ones amongst them ;)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24711
    I have enjoyed this too.

I'm almost tempted to lend you some of my more unusual ones to let you do them too...
    The other thing I'm tempted to do at some point is listen to all my Uncut and Mojo cover CDs - I've got a few year's worth in a box and I'm sure there are likely to be one or two artists that I've never heard of that I really like :) 
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I discovered Boards of Canada via a cover CD given away in a 1998 edition of NME. They're one of my favourite bands now.
    I reckon it's got to be worth your time going through those Mojo CDs.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    One more time for @TTony

:)

Four downloaded albums listened to this morning:

Sharon Van Etten - Are We There
    Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
    Nerina Pallot - Fires
    Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree

edited July 2016
    Addendum #1

Four more purchases from Exmouth Market, I'll add details once I've listened to them properly, i.e. not in the car.

CD#467 Band Of Horses - Mirage Rock

Reviews of this could best be described as variable, to me it's fairly light-weight Americana and better heard on the stereo than in the car. Neither awful nor spectacular.

CD#468 Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls

A mighty debut album, written, recorded and paid for by themselves before they signed to a label. 

CD#469 The Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall

This is their third studio album, first major label release and often considered their best.

CD#470 Red House Painters - Red House Painters (Rollercoaster)

There are some good things about this, their second studio album, but it's a bit hit and miss as far as my tastes go.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23322
    edited July 2016
    Paul_C said:
    Addendum #1

Four more purchases from Exmouth Market

Completely and utterly off topic, but my stepmother's ex-husband recently moved to Exmouth after 40 years living in Canada and then Germany.  Within two weeks he decided he didn't like it and fucked off back to Germany, even though he's sold his house there and has nowhere to live.

Presumably Exmouth isn't really that bad?