TRUMPTON - old kids TV not a new name for Washington DC

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16202
PEW.PEW,BARNEY MCGREW ...........WINDY MILLER HAS GUFFED !  Cue Trumpton Music
As we used to joke when we were kids
WTF say those forumites under 50 years of age 
My enquiring youngest ( i had children very late in life ) asked me if television was invented when I was a kid ....having replied yes but that it was in Black and white until I was about 9 years old the second question was "what was it like ?"
Thanks to You Tube I was able to quickly show TRUMPTON, CAMBERWICK GREEN ,WOMBLES ,MAGIC ROUNDABOUT ETC 
 I felt a wave of warm nostalgia ,my long dead grandmothers cajoling to drink my Ovaltine and the smell of Victoria sponge in the oven together with the anticipated joy of licking out the icing bowl ...................different days
Taking off the Rose tinted specs I have to say .............some of those Kids TV shows were so boring in retrospect ......all the pace and momentum of a bad bout of constipation !
Nice Memories of a far more innocent age .........
My daughter was bored in 20 seconds but asked out of frustration " OK ,but did you have better things on your phone ? "
 Even 2 minutes of Catweazle couldn't hold her attention ............
My " younger " wife always recalls RENT-A-GHOST ,but what were your tv memories as a kid ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    edited March 2017
    Windy Miller... always on the piss!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Bagpuss was another. (But I never worked out how Emily's house was a "shop" if it "didn't sell anything"...?)

Bod - always followed by Alberto Frog and His Animal Band.  Viewers of a certain age will know exactly what I mean when I say "The squirrels on the trombone knew what he was going to ask for...."

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    I've tried them all on my kids, the only one that they liked was Mr Benn. The philistines said Bagpuss was boring.
    I need to find an episode of Pipkins so I can give them nightmares from watching "Hartley (the partlty decomposed) Hare".
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    Spotty dog on the woodentops, Bill and Ben etc.. We had to wait all day for a ten min prog for 'watch with mother' aimed at preschool kids. none of this Kids TV all the time on several chanels. Saturday morning airings of Micky mouse and Laural and Hardy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Tales of the Riverbank ... Andy Pandy ... Poggles Wood ,,,

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FX_Munkee said:
    I've tried them all on my kids, the only one that they liked was Mr Benn. The philistines said Bagpuss was boring.
    I need to find an episode of Pipkins so I can give them nightmares from watching "Hartley (the partlty decomposed) Hare".
    Pipkins! How could I forget. Wasn't the pig just called...Pig? And the monkey who lived on top of the cupboard was called...Topov?

• snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Mysterious Cities of Gold
    Ulycees 31
    Dogtanion and the Three Muskahounds
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    FX_Munkee said:
    Pipkins! How could I forget. Wasn't the pig just called...Pig? And the monkey who lived on top of the cupboard was called...Topov?
    Indeed, "What was the pig called in Pipkins" is one of my favourite pub quiz questions :)
    Topov the Brummy monkey.
    Bing, bong, ding...time... for a story.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Kids tv does get repeated an awful lot so it spans quite a lot of generations. I've certainly got early memories of the flowerpot men, the herbs (I had no idea until much later that each character was named after an actual herb, they probably weren't a big feature of my mother's cooking),Mr Ben and Ivor the Engine. Mr Ben probably my favourite.

In the last couple of years of primary school I could get home for lunch and eat my sandwiches in front of half an episode of Pebble Mill at One, so my early television memories include coachloads of old ladies watching B division pop singers. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited March 2017
    Ulycees 31
    Dogtanion and the Three Muskahounds
    Best theme music. Ever.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

He-Man, and the Masters of the Universe

ThunderCats

Dangermouse/Duckula

Dungeons and Dragons (cartoon)

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

...Stig of the Dump

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16202
    Hectors House
      Mr Ben was really excellent and I like the music
      Michael Palin now doing the Clangers narrative ( what the fuck was a Soup Dragon )
      Big One for me was HR PUFFENSTUFF and Banana Splits but these came later
      I liked Pogles wood with Pippin and Tog 
      Worzel Gummidge
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11384
    Something came into my head a couple of weeks ago and I spent a while searching for a kids' telly programme from the late 60s. Turns out it was called "Hubble Bubble" but I can't find clips of it anywhere.

Other favourites were anything narrated by Oliver Postgate, The Freewheelers, Tightrope (great drama series), Ace of Wands and Pogles Wood.
    Chorlton and the Wheelies.

ah the days when you could make kids TV whilst off your tits.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

Didn't this go on for like 60 episodes and achieve absolutely nothing?
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4932
    "Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen,
    Robin Hood, Robin Hood, with his band of men,
    Feared by the rich, loved by the poor,
    Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood!"

They don't write theme songs like that any more...
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24489

I used to almost burst with anticipation waiting to find out which of the characters were going to pop out of the music box.

I remember one episode of Chigley where Lord Belborough took Bessie the steam engine all the way to Trumpton.  Blew my mind that did - it was like Mary, Mungo & Midge had come down in the lift and stepped out into the garden at Hector's House.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The magnificent Do not adjust your set ..... Thursdays at 5.25 .. predated Python.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom