God-awful guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    ThePrettyDamned said:
    They just look naff unless Tony iommi is at the wheel.
    They have a wheel?

No wonder they're ugly.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This thing looks like a flattened bulls bollock with a neck and pickups, blergh

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    This thing looks like a flattened bulls bollock with a neck and pickups, blergh

Your knowledge of bovine anatomy does you credit!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    Sunburst strats with maple fretboards - grim.
    Thats one of my gods that is :-/
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I like the thinline in the first post. Hate those neon vomit Ibanez jobs. Hate all the BC Rich stuff..

Used to detest SG's, but now I really want one.. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• IslandapeIslandape Frets: 64
    edited January 2014
    Sooooo, I thought of the most bonkers combination and Googled it...

>:/
  • Islandape;145730" said:

Wow, that sounds really great! It helps he's obviously very good with a Floyd.
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited January 2014
    Islandape said:

Isn't this similar to what Grestch have just released?

Yes, yes it is...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751

@octatonic
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    Arrrrrggggghhhhhh Floyd Rose. Yuk.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33847
    edited January 2014

It is an ergonomic guitar made by Texan luthier Chris Forshage called an Orion.
    I own that specific guitar and it is one of the best playing/sounding guitars I own, with incredible balance and ergonomics.
    It is also the instrument that got me into guitar building.
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited January 2014
    octatonic said:

I own that specific guitar and it is one of the best playing/sounding guitars I own, with incredible balance and ergonomics.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Islandape said:

Isn't this similar to what Grestch have just released?

Yes, yes it is...

I know but a Floyd?  On a gypsy Jazz Guitar? I can sort of see a Bigsby making some sort of sense but a Floyd on a Selmer is like inflatable false boobs on Hercule Poirot. 
    edited January 2014
    octatonic said:

HUH?
    Not at all.
    I don't see how anyone can possibly consider giving a bit of info about a guitar 'an escalation'.
    If meltedbuzzbox doesn't like it that is fine- but there is more to that guitar than how it looks.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7852
    ICBM said:
    http://www.rockin-chair.ch/Pics/aarc/origs/Showcase/Parker_Fly.jpg

I loved the concepts behind this when it came out - lightweight body, resonant 'exo-skeleton', could do acoustic sounds… and I assumed that the god-awful ugly shape must have some sort of ergonomic benefit which justified it and I would eventually see it as quite cool, if never 'beautiful'.

Then I played one.

Pointlessly uncomfortable - that upper horn digs you in the sternum where you really don't want it to (even if you aren't female - I can only imagine it's worse having watched a friend of mine try to play one), the tone was thin and artificial-sounding or nasal and honky depending on how you set it, and it won't even hang on a standard wall hanger without probably breaking the top E string and risking the whole thing falling to the ground. You can't even put in less horrible-sounding humbuckers easily because they used a custom baseplate mounting. And apparently the glued-on frets have a habit of coming off.

Fail, in just about every way possible.
    I'm just about to have my third attempt at re-attaching a couple of frets to a Fly (I can't get the exact glue they recommend, and have already tried two of their suggestions with no joy) so I'd agree that it was a daft idea.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

HUH?
    Not at all.
    I don't see how anyone can possibly consider giving a bit of info about a guitar 'an escalation'.

I'm not gonna lie, I was looking for an excuse to use that meme!

I'm going to look into what other work Chris Forshage has done. It's an interesting design!
    edited January 2014
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

HUH?
    Not at all.

I'm not gonna lie, I was looking for an excuse to use that meme!

I'm going to look into what other work Chris Forshage has done. It's an interesting design!
    Ah ok.

It is a very special guitar.
    I get how people think it is a bit ugly, but I love it to bits.
    I think from certain angles it is quite pretty:

FWIW, I bought it after having several rounds of surgery, and for a long time it was the only guitar I could play for more than 10-15 minutes without pain.
  • @octatonic what are those two routes in the side? Is that weight relief or is it hiding something?
    edited January 2014
    @octatonic what are those two routes in the side? Is that weight relief or is it hiding something?
    They are basically the same as F holes- it is a hollow body guitar, really.
    They are on the top because you get less feedback with gain at stage volumes because the holes are 90 degrees to the speaker cone.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72660
    It goes back via the Klein guitar to the Ovation Breadwinner originally. They are odd-looking, but definitely comfortable - at least for classical position sitting down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein