Heart Attack !

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27692
    I'm just a little disappointed that you didn't start a thread here first to get some advice, before calling 999.

It's how it's normally done ...
    ;)

Bit scary to read the story, but good to know that you're still with us.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72653
    edited June 2017
    The NHS - and the modern welfare system that goes with it - is the single greatest peacetime achievement in the history of this country. Most of us take it totally for granted and often moan about it, until something really bad happens...

When I was fourteen I spent some time in the old Worcester Royal Infirmary too, for an emergency appendectomy. Like you I would probably have died without the ambulance service - just a normal road one in my case - and the hospital staff.

Best wishes for a full recovery!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Chris, glad you're here and able to tell the story. The NHS is wonderful, had reason to scare myself 3 years ago and they were fantastic. More recently took my mother in for a suspected fracture following a fall. The diagnosed dizzyness and she ended up with a pacemaker. Brilliant watching them in action as her heart stopped conveniently while being exhamined.
    My partner works as a senior nurse at the local hospital and it's a wonderful establishment badly run by numbsculls in officialdom.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Glad you're on the mend Chris.

Having had many experiences with the frontline NHS staff (I'm on first name terms with half the local hospital, and have been known to have a pint with my regular consultant....) I can honestly say I've never met a bad one.

I did once have a nurse sit with me all night - I was pretty sick, and having my first night in hospital, so naturally a bit scared.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28344
    Wow, scary stuff, glad to hear that things went so well. I've been hospitalised 3 times with severe chest pains/suspected heart attack - although none of them actually were. Lots of fear involved though and a years health repercussions for two of them.
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    Holy cow, that sounds scary. Good old unappreciated NHS comes up with the goods. 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    What a story. We all moan about this country sometimes including me but for all its faults I wouldn't live anywhere else.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12426
    Sorry to hear about your heart attack but glad you are on the mend! NHS staff are awesome (my wife included) makes you wonder why the gov has refused to give them pay rises for years  whilst feathering their own nests.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Wow number 50 richly deserved. Here's to a full recovery and long life
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    Holy crap hope the recovery is going well
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Jesus !

I've only just caught up with this, I'm so glad to hear you're well now Chris.

I had a brief chat with death late last year myself with a subgroup of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma stopping me breathing and the NHS were amazing with me too.
    On other occasions and even recently with finger surgery they've been amazing so like you, I'm very grateful to them.

That must have been scary, I know my stopping breathing thing was terrifying.
    Really glad to hear you're ok!
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Ps, what's the record for most single frets on a post? 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Great story my friend and best wishes for a full recovery.  I too owe my existence to the measured work of medics in hospitals.  When you need them, you need them and thank God they are there at that time.  Take it easy for a while, keep that cat close by you as it is a fact that cats help reduce our stress and anxiety levels.  And kudos to your wife for remaining so calm in a crisis.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• notanonnotanon Frets: 611
    NHS: the jewel in the crown - keep on posting amigo, get well soon!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    Best wishes, Chris.
    The NHS is amazing - twice they have saved my life (literally) and whilst things can and do go wrong (normally due to third party 'improvement' schemes), the people that work there are superb.
    Get well soon.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited June 2017
    Agree re NHS. 
    And I hope your health improves massively!! Your own health is #1.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    Glad your Ok, and really appreciate the detail you provided.  I agree the NHS when its working is stunning and needs to be protected.   Air ambulance services should be part of that NHS service and not a charity function.

2, things.  I want more detail of the helicopter, cos thats actually the most interesting thing, and OMG, did I just see Drew and Emperor agree with each other.   

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
     OMG, did I just see Drew and Emperor agree with each other.   
    Is that like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4735
    edited June 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Drew_TNBD My sympathies for your dad and your aunt.  While the NHS saved me and I'm pretty sure my dad was already dead when I found him (heart attack) so there was nothing they could have done anyway, I do hold them responsible for my mum's death last August.  They knew she had an abdominal aneurysm in 2012. I didn't know at the time but she should have had regular scans on it to check on it's growth but somehow she slipped through the net.  FFWD to last July and she's showing all the classic symptoms of an aneurysm about to rupture ( I Googled it after she passed and it took me two minutes to see they had misdiagnosed her with everything from a bowel infection to diverticulitis).  They could have, and should have, operated before it ruptured, but they didn't.  It burst and they operated then - but it was too late.  She was otherwise a very fit and healthy woman.  If they'd scanned her regularly, they would have kept on top of her high blood pressure with more urgency, but as I say, they didn't, it grew and burst.  She died before her time.  I was very angry when I worked it all out, but soon realised it was pointless because nothing could bring her back now - no matter how angry I got or who I complained to.  You can't turn back time. :-(
    My mum got a DVT.  Her GP saw her and sent her straight to the hospital for urgent treatment.  After all their tests they discovered she didn't have a DVT and gave her antibiotics to fight an infection.

Guess what killed her a week after she went to the hospital.   Oh yes, that non existent DVT.

She drowned in her own blood sitting on the toilet and was discovered by neighbours two days later.  Not impressed.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24444
    My sympathies mate.  I try not to think about my mum's final moments but it wouldn't have been gentle or peaceful.  People bang on about how fantastic the NHS is, and for a "Free" system it is.  However, it's not free, and I imagine the level of care you would get in a private hospital (in the States for example) would make the average NHS ward look like it was still in the era of "Carry On Matron."

People's opinions of the NHS are usually formed by whatever limited personal experience they have of it, and just because they happened to 'save them' or the staff were lovely or some other largely irrelevant aspect, it does not follow that the NHS as a wonderful institution, the "envy of the world" or is the "pride of Britain".  As someone who is connected with the IT side of it, it is a basket-case of incompetence, mismanagement, complacency and financial profligacy.  Waving a Union Jack and blindly singing the praises of the NHS is very nice from a patriotic point of view, but allows successive governments off the hook when it comes to making the improvements it so desperately needs.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom