Quad Jam post Jam discussion thread

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6589
    The motley crue that made it all the way to the bitter end:

@Bridgehouse please can you do a tagged / numbered version so I can work out who the fuck I spoke to / missed / ignored yesterday? 
    From L to R
    @handsome_chris
    @hywelg
    @brocco
    @darthed1981
    @fandango
    @idiotwind
    @snags
    @darius
    @thomasross20
    @legionreturns
    @paulmapp8306
    @bridgehouses drummer mate
    @tadodger
    @mrkb
    @spark240

may need to edit those slightly as the forum names aren’t being suggested on my iPhone so I’m going by memory!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think that's spot on with the names! 

As another point, always good to have somebody who's good with the sound gear (mixing desk) and sound set-up. That person definitely isn't me :lol: 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I think that's spot on with the names! 

As another point, always good to have somebody who's good with the sound gear (mixing desk) and sound set-up. That person definitely isn't me :lol: 
    I’d say that no matter how good the person is on that desk there would have been issues :)

I’ve been known to twiddle sound desks quite a bit in my time and I struggled to work out wtf was going on with it - specially the way the drum monitor was set up - it was bizarrely being fed through an fx channel and linked to an aux out which despite numerous twiddles did nothing, until I switched it to a normal monitoring channel and set the level that way. 
  • Fear not, wasn't a criticism at all. Just pointing out some folk like me aren't so hot with that equipment :) glad we had vyou there!
  • Any way of getting the audio only recordings at some point?
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    @mrkb ;;

1. Not sure how the number of people differed from last time, seemed a few less...but I think that works well, although the other 2 rooms didn’t get as much use, but still provided a good place to informally jam
    2. We seem to have a bit of an issue with vocal volume, maybe we could look into that ?
    3. Maybe some people might like headphones to monitor?....I’m sure we could sort this.
    4. Agree with @thomasross20 on trying amps, an option for headphones is a good idea if required, I have a 6ch cans amp and happy to assist in setting this up.
    5. Overall I thought it worked well, as a 3rd time for me it gets better as people become more familiar which is cool.
    6. Also agree off we don't have the right people for the listed songs, then dont waste time doing them, can always be jammed in another room, I know its a pain if you've spent ages learning it and the it gets dropped 
    Nothing else to add really without the whole thing becoming a bit too regimented, Id like to get onto Bass next time for a song, that's about it.

Thanks to the organisers ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Snags said:

Funnily enough although most of us are gobby twats on here, in real life everyone turns out to be rather quite polite and retiring (well, mostly, mention no names

Fuck you too! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The vocal volume issue was purely that PA in that room. I may look at a different way of doing it next Quad session.
  • The vocal volume issue was purely that PA in that room. I may look at a different way of doing it next Quad session.
    That PA and speakers are way more powerful than mine, but sound shit. A big part of it will be part time singers that don't project and belt as much, but the feedback issues were terrible. I'm pretty good with PA gear, so maybe before we go next time, I'll have a look at the manual for that PA. I'd also suggest a front and centre vocal only monitor for the benefit of everyone. 

The vocal volume issue was purely that PA in that room. I may look at a different way of doing it next Quad session.
    That PA and speakers are way more powerful than mine, but sound shit. A big part of it will be part time singers that don't project and belt as much, but the feedback issues were terrible. I'm pretty good with PA gear, so maybe before we go next time, I'll have a look at the manual for that PA. I'd also suggest a front and centre vocal only monitor for the benefit of everyone. 
    It’s the monitoring and amp positioning and the slightly shit way it’s set up. We do need to look at it and work out wtf is going on with it
  • Mains pointing back to the band is the problem I think - its like your using them as monitors and any significant volume feeds back.. Not sure what the speakers were, but they look big - were they 15"? if so they can give problems on vocals feeding back when pointing at the mics.

It would be better with the mains sitting like a gig - pointing forwards for those listening/recording - then a vocal monitor front/centre for the actual singer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Mains pointing back to the band is the problem I think - its like your using them as monitors and any significant volume feeds back.. Not sure what the speakers were, but they look big - were they 15"? if so they can give problems on vocals feeding back when pointing at the mics.

It would be better with the mains sitting like a gig - pointing forwards for those listening/recording - then a vocal monitor front/centre for the actual singer.
    Very difficult to do in a rehearsal room...
  • Mains pointing back to the band is the problem I think - its like your using them as monitors and any significant volume feeds back.. Not sure what the speakers were, but they look big - were they 15"? if so they can give problems on vocals feeding back when pointing at the mics.

Not really. I do that for my YBTB sessions. I just have the tops at the back but out quite wide, with a wedge at the front. 

Mains pointing back to the band is the problem I think - its like your using them as monitors and any significant volume feeds back.. Not sure what the speakers were, but they look big - were they 15"? if so they can give problems on vocals feeding back when pointing at the mics.

Not really. I do that for my YBTB sessions. I just have the tops at the back but out quite wide, with a wedge at the front. 
    Well, you can try it.. but my rehearsal room experience says otherwise...
  • Part of the problem is having the band on the long side of the room, very spread out. It means the guitars on the flanks can't hear each other so turn up louder, then drown out the middle. Is there a reason we couldn't do it at one end? It's not like there's a shortage of space. 

Part of the problem is having the band on the long side of the room, very spread out. It means the guitars on the flanks can't hear each other so turn up louder, then drown out the middle. Is there a reason we couldn't do it at one end? It's not like there's a shortage of space. 
    No reason at all. We need the PA speakers to be pointing away from the band and level or forward of the mics. But, we would need a vocal monitor wedge
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5305
    edited November 2018
    Snags said:

Funnily enough although most of us are gobby twats on here, in real life everyone turns out to be rather quite polite and retiring (well, mostly, mention no names

Fuck you too! 

Gosh, I didn't mean you at all <cough, cough>

[Edit for smiley confusion]
    :-p~~~~
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    edited November 2018
    Knockin on Heavens door.....apologies for the video technique !.....gone bit `Go Pro crazy

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • @spark240 if you edit a post with a YouTube link it breaks the link. You'll need to edit and redo the link mate.

• Haven't watched it yet but I remember c0cking up a few notes, will be fun to watch back and thanks for recording that@sparks240 :D can't believe I got caught on camera playing a les Paul ;)