Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

In Praise Of Cheap (Good) Pedals

What's Hot
AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
This is not an ‘anti’ thread or an inverted snob thread - Yes, some boutique pedals are terrific and so are some expensive or regularly priced pedals. That’s a given.
As I’m not working or gigging at the moment buying new gear is near impossible for me right now - so I’ve been getting budget pedals and I think some of these Chinese micro pedals sound great.
Recently there was a thread on here talking about Klons and someone mentioned how good the Mosky Golden Horse was. So I got one. Under £20 new. It’s great. As good as an EHX Soul Food, I reckon. And I’ve never tried a Wampler Tumnus but there are players on-line who say it is just as good. 
I use it as a boost for other pedals and on its own for a solid transparent crunch and I love it.
So - don’t be shy! Any recommendations for great sounding pedals for £50, or less?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4557
    I have the silver version and it's great. On its own or pushing a fuzz it adds something special to my sound. Real clear and characteristic.
  • TC Electronic Spark Booster £39 (GuitarGuitar)
    Best booster bang for buck! Either always on at beginning or end of chain, to goose other drives or as solo boost. Unbeatable value!

Mosky Blue Delay £17 (Ebay)
    Ridiculously good analogue delay clone of Mad Professor! 

Tone City Angel Wing £45 (Andertons)
    Terrific chorus pedal, as good as anything (in terms of sound) under £100
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I’ve been looking at those Tone City pedals. Some of them seem really decent. I’m considering the Black Tea - a Vox AC style overdrive.
  • AlexC said:
    I’ve been looking at those Tone City pedals. Some of them seem really decent. I’m considering the Black Tea - a Vox AC style overdrive.
    I've owned a number of them and they really are great. My personal faves are the aforementioned Angel Wing, Sweet Cream, Fuxx Fuzz. All genuinely great sounding units.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I really like my boss OS-2. It can be tuned in to sound like another channel on your amp retaining the voice of the amp and staying very "transparent" (for want of a better word).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz. It's actually a Boss FZ-2 copy, which are silly money now - and in turn is a Univox Superfuzz/Shin-Ei FY-6 copy with added active EQ, clean boost mode and buffered switching.

I have a FZ-2, but it's become valuable enough that I started to worry about gigging with it since a lone pedal at the front of the stage is easily nicked - I use it for bass, and for that I don't use a pedalboard.

Anyway, the Behringer sounds identical to the Boss and costs about £20 new (it seems to vary slightly). I recently bought another one as a spare, and I could still buy another five before I got to the cost of replacing the Boss...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The Little Bear Woolly Mammoth clone, if morally you are happy with that type of thing. Brilliant sounding pedal
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    The SF300 is a great shout, they seem to be out of stock a lot at the moment for some reason. Maybe word's spreading? I got a MKI Mooer Tender Octaver back when aliexpress were knocking them out for £30, I can't imagine ever selling it. I tried the MKII and aside from being more expensive, it doesn't track anywhere near as well or sound as good.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3706
    Someone put up a video comparing the “name” pedals to the Behringer equivalents and generally the Behringer ones were as well rated. I’m a strictly bedroom player and have a number of cheap pedals. All are good enough for my ears. 
  • The Behringer Harmonist was good fun too
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    The Little Bear Woolly Mammoth clone, if morally you are happy with that type of thing. Brilliant sounding pedal
    The bastards, no one should exploit mammoths in this day and age. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1186
    edited August 2019
    Funny you mention Mosky. I've been eyeing up their EP Booster clone - the XP Boost - for quite a while.

I'll pitch in with:

Danelectro FAB Delay, which can be had for nothing (or £10 on this very forum from a very handsome individual).

Tone City Angel Wing (again, I have one for sale, but they are great)

TC Electronic Dark Matter and Spark Booster (£40 a piece).

The TC Electronic 3rd Dimension gets great reviews also, but I've never tried one myself.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12395
    Joyo american sound, vintage overdrive and tremolo all excellent.  American sound is particularly excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader

bad monkey if you can get one

I recently build a klon clone and it sounds fab, only thing about it is I think the pots will fail as soon as the foot misses the footswitch

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5159
    drofluf said:
    Someone put up a video comparing the “name” pedals to the Behringer equivalents and generally the Behringer ones were as well rated. 
    It was Josh from JHS. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FishguyFishguy Frets: 31
    I also like the bad monkey and sf300 fuzz pedal. A lot of the Behringer pedals seem to be on order with a lot of shops at the moment. I have been eyeing up their vintage delay pedal. Mind you the boss dd7 seems to go for a sensible price second hand and might be a better quality option. Even if it does cost 4x the price!
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Mooer Yellow Compressor. Love it.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    Mooer Ana Echo is an absolutely mint analogue delay pedal
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited August 2019
    I have a Tone City Lime Pedal and can dial it in to sound almost exactly the same as a Tube Screamer.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    The Caline Orange Burst is a great drive pedal for under £20. Would have loved this amount of choice and quality when I first started.