Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

An album by your favourite band.

What's Hot

Comments

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    Quite liking this thread and it's got me thinking about and listening to whole albums.

Listening again to the video in the OP, it put me in mind of Faith No More and the obvious suggestion is Angel Dust although, in truth, it's not an album I keep coming back to (I did listen to it a lot when it came out though).

My Baby kept popping into my head as well and I wasn't sure why and then I realised 'rabbit hole' was quoted in the OP - I'm fairly simple-minded. I think it fits the brief though.

Back on track - an album that I've been playing for years is Elvis Costello's This Year's Model

Finally, another that has stood the test of time: Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• If you want heavy & melodic, the new Killswitch Engage album is SUPERB. 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Friday night, saving all these for Monday morning :)

I'm liking this thread too, it's great to be introduced to new music, especially from genres that i wouldn't normally go for. So far i've really liked the vast majority, and a fair amount of it has been added to my regular playlists.

As a point, i have listened to all of it, and the whole album (if available). Except the folk band.
  • Marillion - Marbles

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    You may well have this already, but this is what I'm listening to just now, and it's still one of my favourite albums by one of my favourite bands ever. I first had this album when I was 9, and it's never worn thin for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• blobbblobb Frets: 2955
    Here's a bit of a challenge for you: Gilgamesh.

The amazing talent of Alan Gowan, taken far too young at 31, this was his first album. He did put out a second a bit later, featuring Hugh Hopper on bass, but this is pure Gowan. Full of movement, his compositions can sometimes be a bit tricky to listen too but this is all in the art of it. A bit like Zappa, he wrote music to suit the styles of his fellow musicians.  He said his challenge was to make if difficult for the listener to know what was scripted and what was improvised.

You can listen to this album again and again. It might start off sounding a bit rubbish but let the artist educate the critic. The way he plays the beautiful but awkward movements off against the incredible melody he spouts out in the enjoyable bits never gets tiring to me.  He traps you in the uncomfortable zone building tension while you wait for what's to come. And it never fails to be beautiful when it happens. All the time you can wonder if it was deliberate or an accident. Of course it's always deliberate. That's the genius of Alan Gowan.

If I had to take only one album, it would be this one. I like other stuff more but if I could only have one album to listen to forever it would be this.

We are all / Someone else's food

(Ha. Just noticed a a comment on the video "As great as this album was, it was the following Gilgamesh album that really took the listener somewhere incredible....." Maybe ;-) 

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=729eZUBFWVU - Caspian, Waking Season

- And So I Watch You From Afar, Gangs

- Poison the Well, You Come Before You

- Refused, Shape of Punk to Come

https://rivalconsoles.bandcamp.com/album/odyssey-sonne - Rival Consoles, Odyssey/Sonne
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • They're not my favourite band per se, but I can always count on The Fratellis' Costello Music
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    Broadcast - Message from home - didn't think i would like this when it started, but it was pretty good. Not sure it's something i would actively seek to put on, put enjoyable none the less.

Mastodon - Blood Mountain or Crack the Skye - Blood mountain isn't on Prime, so Crack the Skye it is! I've tried Mastodon a few times, and it has never really clicked. I get that it's pretty good, but no particular song while listening to them has made me stop and take notice.. haven't heard this album before, and i did actually stop and listen to a few of the bits in it. Enjoyed the track The Czar. 
    Actually, now near the end of the album, this one has been much better than previous ones I've listened to. 

Elder - Dead Roots Stirring - Liked this, has been added to regular album list.. Particularly liked the Dead Roots track

QOTSA - Songs For the Deaf - I wasn't really into QOTSA until i had to learn a couple of songs for a band i was subbing in. Made me listen & appreciate this album in particular. Its not a regular listen, but it should be. 

Every Time I Die - The Big Dirty
     - Not a huge fan of the screamy vocals.. didn't like the first track, but was quite getting into it by the end of the album, i'd listen to this again in the right mood.

Hatfield and the North - The Rotters Club - .... Not what i was expecting after reading the titles you put down :)

Faith No More - Angel Dust - Faith no more are another of those bands that i've listed to many times but it's never struck me as must listen stuff. Still, its enjoyable, but to me not memorable. Station. 

Jethro Tull - Thick as a brick - Not sure i've ever knowingly listened to Jethro Tull. Genuinely enjoyed that album. 

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited September 2019
    @zepp76 that's a great clip of Free. I'm a huge Kossoff fan and Free live is one of my favourite albums.
    @fob Thick As A Brick was a great album with great album art.

I went to concerts by both bands around the time of those albums. Kossoff was my hero then, but I remember being blown away by Martin Barre in Jethro Tull - a greatly underrated guitarist.

For my choice, I'd go for Extreme's Take Us Alive DVD (also an album). My most played DVD. Nuno's live playing is breathtaking and flawless. It has everything. Rhythm and lead are a combination of great groove, technique, invention, feel and rock attitude.  The whole band are great.

Unfortunately, the only clip I can find is a pretty grainy 240p and it's full of really annoying ads. It's well worth getting the DVD (or CD), if you can find it.

It's not a competition.
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271
    edited September 2019
    Also yesterday - the my baby & Elvis Costello - My baby is a bit weird.. i was really into it when it started, then i got less so as it went on.. and everyone loves a bit of Elvis..

@stratman - that's ok you can't find it, i'm pretty sure i've got the CD somewhere..  Extreme are one of my favourite bands.. 

@Heel - I heard a tool track a while ago, doesn't that mean i've heard all of their material now?   ;)

Started Tuesday with some Rachmaninov. Now on to Reuben..
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    How about some melodic and atmospheric Swedish post-rock from a few years ago? I have a real soft spot for this song, even though it is quite cliqued in a lot of ways. The pause before the finale is one of post-rock's finest moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1XIa8IjN8o
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Oh I've got a couple more that I forgot about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfbLWHT7vUU - Deafheaven, Sunbather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YedNwRvYTe8 - The Bronx, The Bronx (III)

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Fantomas - The Directors Cut

Probably my favourite album Mike Patton's ever done. I prefer Faith No More / Mr Bungle as a whole but this album is pretty darn special. Every song is based on old movie soundtracks - mostly from the middle of the 20th Century. You will recognise quite a lot of them, but they're chewed up, spat out, covered in acid and force fed through heavy guitars, synths and Patton's deranged/beautiful vocals. It's wonderful. Glad I got to see it performed in it's entirety a decade ago as well.
  • Here's one for you, The Notorious Byrd Brothers by The Byrds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO44oFPRCyw

The last of their "original lineup" albums, I'd say it's their best, though Younger Than Yesterday is close.  Wasn't Born to Follow is probably the most well known track here as it was in Easy Rider but the whole album is great.  If you listen to the bonus tracks, Moog Raga is a insta-skip for me personally, but hey.  Also, there is a hidden track of a studio argument which goes some way to explaining why the band went from 4 to 2 members during the making of the album (starts at 51:24 in that video)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22903
    Dopesick said:
    Fantomas - The Directors Cut

Probably my favourite album Mike Patton's ever done. I prefer Faith No More / Mr Bungle as a whole but this album is pretty darn special. Every song is based on old movie soundtracks - mostly from the middle of the 20th Century. You will recognise quite a lot of them, but they're chewed up, spat out, covered in acid and force fed through heavy guitars, synths and Patton's deranged/beautiful vocals. It's wonderful. Glad I got to see it performed in it's entirety a decade ago as well.
    I want to listen to that now.  I've got most of the FNM and Tomahawk stuff, but never heard Fantomas.