Stuck at home Challenge - learn a song that you find difficult

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
OK, so I'm sat here at home and spending WAY more time here than usual. I figured that I should really challenge myself to learn something difficult, something in my case that I have failed at in the past. So I currently have two challenges to myself, one on guitar and one on piano:

i) Get beyond the first third of Satriani's Always with me always with you. I've been playing the first section badly for many years, I have never managed to learn the first quick legato run or anything after (attempted many times!)

ii) Learn to play the rather awesome Wait for sleep by Dream Theater. I have got literally nowhere with this lovely keyboard piece in the past. Time to roll up the sleeves and see if I can make something of it. 

Anyone else taking anything on?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Apparently our jamming group have opted for Sultans of Swing, My Sharona and Radar Love (long version) as homework for the duration. 

My problem is memory (and talent obviously)
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    hywelg said:
    Apparently our jamming group have opted for Sultans of Swing, My Sharona and Radar Love (long version) as homework for the duration. 

My problem is memory (and talent obviously)
    My Sharona is odd.....is a pretty easy song that I find difficult to get right without prompts from the vocals.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • I finally learned the intro to Little Wing. Not at all complicated but it’s a piece I’ve always wanted to play but never made the effort before. 
    Other than that just trying to build on some ideas I’ve had for original songs but never followed through with. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I finally learned the intro to Little Wing. Not at all complicated but it’s a piece I’ve always wanted to play but never made the effort before. 
    Other than that just trying to build on some ideas I’ve had for original songs but never followed through with. 
    Now go and listen to the SRV version and it makes you want to burn all your guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    I’ve just bought this

Some more complex arrangements of some tunes I know the one note versions of. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    On it already.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    I've finally learned Stairway To Heaven, but need to work at the solo to get it flowing better. Also, started on Pull Me Under by Dream Theater, but can't play it at proper speed. This should keep me busy if we have to stay at home for an extended period.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10411
    I'm doing Spanish Fly by EVH .... using lessons on Youtube to help when I'm struggling 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    drofluf said:
    I’ve just bought this

Some more complex arrangements of some tunes I know the one note versions of. 
    Do you have a Harp guitar? I'd love one of those.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3027
    edited March 2020
    Following @vibetronic ‘s generous sharing of tabs I’m learning a few Mastodon riffs/tunes. They’re all difficult, with some parts which are crazy complicated and fast and beyond my capabilities. 

Mastodon: Blood and Thunder: verse riff is so fast to get the two chugs between the sliding power chords. Controlling the fast sliding power chords is a challenge. The interlude/solo is a challenge of endurance as it is repeated a few times. Will stick at it.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    edited March 2020
    Im having a go at Revolution is My Name by Pantera, its quite complicated and youve got to go like the clappers!...
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    I'm intending to learn some Radiohead, which I've never done before, and use it to learn how to use compressors and delays, and also to work on textures 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Today I learnt some legato stuff. I don't think of myself as a fast player. So thought I would try and improve. Thing is it all sounds very metal and I don't play in that style, still I learnt a slightly different scale and feel I can adapt it. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I have a big folder of "homework" on my phone - stuff I want to learn and/or transcribe.

There are a few Big Wreck solos I want to have a crack at, and some Sylosis tunes I used to know - I want to get my metal chops back up to scratch. Quite a few bass parts I want to learn too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    edited March 2020
    I'm having a go at F major tomorrow, Mel said I should be able to play it in a day.....don't buy his book, the bloke is either very optimistic or has never met a guitar player with my unique talents

Would of worked a lot better if I'd remembered it was Bert and not Mel lol, what did I say about unique talents..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5471
    I've been wanting to learn Cavatina for years. I tried it once and got stuck after the first few bars...
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    I'm determined to learn Mr Sandman and the Setzer version of Sleepwalk. I've been playing the intro's to both for years and never put the effort into finishing them.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    My favourite metal riff of all time is Swim by In Flames.  I’ve never got around to learning how to play it, so now is probably the time....

:) 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

After years of thinking about it, I've finally given This Charming Man a go. Got the intro sussed, just needs tidying up and getting to speed.

Allison Bennett FTW if anyone's interested.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Going for one of the big ones with Funkadelic - 'Maggot Brain'
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer