reccomend me a router please

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    Is there any benefit to buying a Triton JOF001 (£129 at Screwfix) over the Bosch mentioned above?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    Never used a Triton. I looked at them a while back. The wheel-adjust depth thing looks great, but I read a number of reviews with reliability issues. 
    TJT1979 said:
    Never used a Triton. I looked at them a while back. The wheel-adjust depth thing looks great, but I read a number of reviews with reliability issues. 

I used one on a course at Crimson.  I just don't know if Ben uses them and pushes them because he gets deals for promoting them.

The Bosch one looks lighter, which is good, but you have to use a cable tie on the switch if you want to use it in a table.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    my new router arrived today and I did a few  practice cuts . I like it a lot so far and it is much nicer to use than the trim router I have and it feels safer and has more control. I'm sure it will do everything I need
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    great @phil_b ;  ......ready now for a build thread ! 
    PeteC said:
    great @phil_b ;  ......ready now for a build thread ! 

almost I am waiting on delivery of a set of templates
    As well as the router, any advice on what bits to get for it?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27793
    Wealden Tools.

A selection of diameters and lengths, most with bearings on top, but probably one with bearing on the bottom too.  And a roundover.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    I liked this guys advice and that was just to buy the bits you need as and when you need to do a particular job and build up a useful collection

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8794
    edited June 2020
    crunchman said:
    For a body you will need a minimum of two side-cutting bits, one top bearing, and the other bottom bearing, and blade length of 25 to 35 mm. You will also need a round over bit, either 1/4” or 1/2” radius or both depending on the guitar design.

For a first build you are probably not going to bind the body edges, for which you would need a special side cutter which has a smaller diameter bearing. You’re probably not going to make a neck either, for which you would need a bit to cut the truss rod channel.

Buy good quality bits. They cut better, and are less likely to damage the wood, or you. My everyday bits are Trend branded, and the important bits are from Wealden. I also have a burned out, chipped B&Q bit to remind me not to buy cheap crap.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:

For a first build you are probably not going to bind the body edges, for which you would need a special side cutter which has a smaller diameter bearing. You’re probably not going to make a neck either, for which you would need a 6mm diameter bit to cut the truss rod channel.

for My first build I am making the neck and it has a bound body. I will end up with a guitar or a pile of scrap wood. I do fear the  later is the more likely outcome but we will see
    phil_b said:
    Roland said:

For a first build you are probably not going to bind the body edges, for which you would need a special side cutter which has a smaller diameter bearing. You’re probably not going to make a neck either, for which you would need a 6mm diameter bit to cut the truss rod channel.

for My first build I am making the neck and it has a bound body. I will end up with a guitar or a pile of scrap wood. I do fear the  later is the more likely outcome but we will see

I'm aiming to do the whole build.  I won't have the assistance of Christopher at Crimson this time, but I won't have the pressure of finishing it in a week.

Thanks for the advice.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8794
    Mark Bailey’s view on router bits is at 2:50

https://youtu.be/8K76CQFhrd0
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.