Acoustic strings - a journey...

What's Hot
14567810»

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I’m moving from brass back to PB after trying John Pearse.  I’ll contact and see what he has. 11s would be ideal for my old stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27006
    String change time for the HD28 again. So the old Authentics lasted just over 3 months.

Martin Retro Monel 12's on now. Early days but first instinct is I LOVE them. They don't have quite the same level of fizzy brightness as the 80/20 Authentics but they have tonnes of upper mid heft which so far I'm really liking on this guitar. They're maybe a little higher tension under the fingers and I think a smidge more draggy than the Authentics but neither is enough to be annoying, I just hope it doesn't need a truss rod tweak as the setup is perfect right now.

More thoughts once I've played really properly for a few hours. It's weird having strings that aren't brass-coloured though...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I tried Newtone Masterclass Monels on my Taylor 322, going for a lo-fi blues sound, but in combination with the hard tonewoods they're a bit too dull for my taste. I agree about the increased tension and dragginess too.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    String change time for the HD28 again. So the old Authentics lasted just over 3 months.

Martin Retro Monel 12's on now. Early days but first instinct is I LOVE them. They don't have quite the same level of fizzy brightness as the 80/20 Authentics but they have tonnes of upper mid heft which so far I'm really liking on this guitar. They're maybe a little higher tension under the fingers and I think a smidge more draggy than the Authentics but neither is enough to be annoying, I just hope it doesn't need a truss rod tweak as the setup is perfect right now.

More thoughts once I've played really properly for a few hours. It's weird having strings that aren't brass-coloured though...

The Monels take a couple of days to really open up, well that was my experience with them on my 00015m. They are suited very well with all Mahogany guitars, I just didn’t think they did much for my HD28 reimagined. Let us all know how you get on. Give Curt Mangans PB 13’s a go next time, they sound perfect for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Retro Monels have been on for about 8 weeks and I'm in love with this guitar right now. They definitely don't have the same top-end sparkle that brand new 80/20 strings have, but they have so much depth and midrange character that I don't care, and they're particularly sweet played with just fingers. They also seem to have a fair bit of life left in them, which is impressive for a non-coated string, especially when I'm playing acoustic as much as I ever have what with the lockdown and all that.

I have a set of 80/20 Mangan 12s to try next, but they'll have to be spectacular I'll be very surprised if I don't go back to the Retros quite quickly. 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    @stickyfiddle I'm loving Retro Monels on all my mahogany guitars too. They just seem to sound great whatever way you play them, and last for months without any real decline in the quality of tone they provide. They're not for everyone, but they're definitely working for me. 

Yup. I would say the one thing they maybe don't excel at is hard strumming, but (despite having an HD28) that's probably the thing I do least, so it's no issue, for me at least.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    Do monels have more mid-range volume?
    I have some guitars that sound like the EQ has been scooped, could be useful
    I'm not sure more is quite the right word, but I guess it's a different EQ curve. Definitely a bit less treble than 80/20 strings, and a bit more upper mid emphasis. I can't speak for bass as mine as mine are on an HD28 which is bassy as anything so everything sounds pretty bassy almost irrespective of string choice.  

I would definitely recommend trying them - you might hate them but if you don't you'll probably love them once you get used to them
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Obviously, as someone who is partially deaf from a lifetime of playing music too loud, my views on tone have to be taken with a large pinch of salt, but I think the monels do favour the mids a bit more. They’re not especially expensive strings so they are worth a try. They’re perfectly usable strings, so worst case would be that they’re a bit meh for a while as you work out what to try next. :)  
    I'm not sure more is quite the right word, but I guess it's a different EQ curve. Definitely a bit less treble than 80/20 strings, and a bit more upper mid emphasis. I can't speak for bass as mine as mine are on an HD28 which is bassy as anything so everything sounds pretty bassy almost irrespective of string choice.  

I would definitely recommend trying them - you might hate them but if you don't you'll probably love them once you get used to them
    are they more bright than PB then?
    just bought some DR dragon skins
    do they have fakes too, just need to know if I need to check anything first

are they more bright than PB then?
    I think so, but I don’t use PBs so I’m not certain.
  • Curt Mangan 80/20 12s fitted last weekend, after 3 months and a lot of playing on the Retro Monels. They're pretty good, and probably one of my favourite 80/20s I've tried, but not as sweet as the Retros, and honestly much harder to get hold of where I live, so I think I'll give them a month or so then go back to the Retros. 

Which means this quest is done for now. At least until I get a 000...
  • TimmyO said:
    If you can get to one make sure to try a 00-17s (or non s) - out. Standing. 
    Yeah, will do. I’m thinking that may end up being the second “forever acoustic” so won’t do anything quickly, and definitely want to play a bunch of things before i even think about spending any money. I also don’t want to buy anything without trying an Atkin as I can’t seem to find a single bad word about them
    I can provide you with quite a few bad words about them. The most prominent word that springs to mind is bland
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sick of the Mangans after a month or so, so back on the Monels this weekend. The guitar immediately sounded exactly how I want it to, so that's a hearty recommendation and end of search from me - at least until I buy another acoustic...!