Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

JHS Pack Rat -the mystery revealed!!

What's Hot

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    impmann said:
    It’s interesting that folks forget Josh’s distancing statements about the homophobic thing…

And plenty of other pedal manufacturers started making pedals (that they sold) that were clones of others… including some very much loved folks on here.

But hey, buy what you want and from whom.
    Spot on my friend, spot on…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I missed this thread last week, but was eager to watch the video as I like Rats....or do I.

I owned a Thorpy Warthog, which sounded great on my HRDiii, but when I upgraded to a V40 Deluxe, it just sounded bland.  I sold it and bought an Angry Charlie.

I'm still keen on trying a Rat, but I wouldn't appreciate on with many modes; I'd likely find one I like and stick with it.  Often settings that sound good at home don't work in a band and vice-versa.

The JHS bashing probably belongs on TGP 5+ years ago; a shame it comes up here.  
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
  • Honestly, just try a Rat2 you can pick them up for nothing. The only thing that has me leaning towards something else is the form factor and the power supply needs, i tend to use only a 9v batter with my rat which can be a pain. Don’t have the adapter for it’s power socket.
  • Did anyone else buy one of these then? How is it? 

Have enjoyed Josh's coverage of this and RAT history in general, keen to get a replacement for my whiteface reissue that bit the dust. Think I'd enjoy and appreciate the modes, even if I just stuck to the Whiteface setting most of the time. 

Thorpy Warthog and Jam Rattler also on my list. Need to try them!!
  • impmann said:
    It’s interesting that folks forget Josh’s distancing statements about the homophobic thing…

And plenty of other pedal manufacturers started making pedals (that they sold) that were clones of others… including some very much loved folks on here.

Spot on my friend, spot on…
    He certainly doesn't come off as a homophobe. Anyone that stands behind religion to justify their dislike of who people happen to be attracted to can do one... But there does seem to be quite a lot of "he's bad!" and not much of "because of this reason".

I mean, i still don't really get the multi-circuit pedals (although the muff one seems like a good idea as they're actually really quite different) but he doesn't seem to be actively spreading hate. 
  • I should add I enjoy their channel on YouTube. Plenty of geekery and the sense he genuinely loves all sorts of pedals. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    edited November 2021
    impmann said:

He wasn't "just" making clones. He was using the exact layouts designed by the DIY community - one of the very few genuinely legally naughty things you can do when building pedals. And, whilst doing so, claiming to have researched / designed stuff himself. People may see that as pedantry but it is, in my opinion, far worse than other clones. 

The pedal world is full of bullshit and shysters and clones but in a world where there are infinite pedals I'm fucked if I'm giving any money to a guy who made his start ripping off the DIY guys. 

As for the homophobe stuff I think that seems to be blown out of proportion but taking the work of a community sharing work for free and passing it off as your own doesn't strike me as desperately Christian. 

But like you said people can buy what they want.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Did anyone else buy one of these then? How is it? 

Have enjoyed Josh's coverage of this and RAT history in general, keen to get a replacement for my whiteface reissue that bit the dust. Think I'd enjoy and appreciate the modes, even if I just stuck to the Whiteface setting most of the time. 

Thorpy Warthog and Jam Rattler also on my list. Need to try them!!
    Got a Jam Rattler last week and it’s great. I have a JHS Bonsai and the multi mode options are useful but ultimately prefer simplicity.
  • JohnCordy said:
    @monquixote I just think it flies in the face of a lot of the other things that the boutique pedal world sold us for quite a while if you know what I mean?
    Sadly the boutique pedal world has sold us a lot of smoke and mirrors over the years. 
  • It’s worth saying that the Black Mass 1312 and Zander Circuitry Cranium both give you a rat pedal with a similar variety of clipping options. Then there’s the Magnetic Effects Lonely Robot which gives you control over the clipping threshold 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    edited November 2021
    I don't really like Rats or Josh Scott. AND HERE'S MY OPINION  GRRR!

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah I think you're right @soma1975. ; I'll just go buy the pedal and form my own opinion/ start my own forum about it. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Yeah I think you're right @soma1975. ; I'll just go buy the pedal and form my own opinion/ start my own forum about it. 
    I was taking the mickey out of people who comb threads for subject they don't like just to piss on people's chips, not you. 

No guarantees I wouldn't do the same if this had been a Vertex thread though. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    edited November 2021
    soma1975 said:
    Yeah I think you're right @soma1975. ;; I'll just go buy the pedal and form my own opinion/ start my own forum about it. 
    I was taking the mickey out of people who comb threads for subject they don't like just to piss on people's chips, not you. 

No guarantees I wouldn't do the same if this had been a Vertex thread though. 
    Appreciate that thanks @soma1975, wasn't taking you too seriously don't worry!

Going to head to a shop to try the packrat, rattler and warthog. Might need to give the TC Magus a go too, looks great on paper. 
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    One of the reasons I've avoided the Helix route is I feel I'd end up tweaking continually. With pedals like this and the Bonsai, Muffuletta and a Boss IR-200 I fear I'd be doing the same with discreet boxes and cables.
  • I just can't see the point, if you get a modded rat with diode options, I think it will cover all the needs of a rat user

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    ... I won't be paying £220 for one. Isn't a real one only about 90 quid, and most of the boutiquey ones seem to run around 180...

Interesting observation. It's a bit like...

Purchase Option (1): Genuine original Ferrari 355 - £90,000

Purchase Option (2): DIY imitation Ferrari-a-like 355 that has a switch to make it drive like a some other Ferraris too - £220,000
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Habanero said:
    One of the reasons I've avoided the Helix route is I feel I'd end up tweaking continually. With pedals like this and the Bonsai, Muffuletta and a Boss IR-200 I fear I'd be doing the same with discreet boxes and cables.
    I am of this thinking too. An EQ pedal will do a lot. Having said this I own multiple rats and ridiculous tweaky and non-tweaky fuzzes
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    edited November 2021
    Gadget said:
    ... I won't be paying £220 for one. Isn't a real one only about 90 quid, and most of the boutiquey ones seem to run around 180...

Purchase Option (2): DIY imitation Ferrari-a-like 355 that has a switch to make it drive like a some other Ferraris too - £220,000
    More like:

Ford Mustang ~$10k
    Shelby GT Mustang ~$30k

Yes, they’re largely similar underneath, but one is supercharged and running on steroids, whereas the other is not.

(wildly inaccurate figures used for illustration only) 
  • Gadget said:

More like:

Ford Mustang ~$10k
    Shelby GT Mustang ~$30k

Yes, they’re largely similar underneath, but one is supercharged and running on steroids, whereas the other is not.

(wildly inaccurate figures used for illustration only) 
    It's not really running on steroids though. It's more a car that's trying to be 7 other cars, that all drive and look almost identical, with small differences

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey