Cat fostering

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16830
    Most of my cats are indoor cats, and we always keep fosters in too.  We have a catio on the back of the house so they an get some outdoor time if needed.  

We did however have one older cat who prefers outdoors, but he disappeared back in Feb and we had pretty much given up hope of him coming back.

After 7 months being AWOL he was sat outside today???

I've given him some food, but not managed to coax him inside yet.  He is looking well fed and healthy so I won't force it. 

We are just very relieved he is still alive!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19176
    Great news  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw this on facebook! Bless him - he's obviously found some other poor sod who he can steal food from!! Glad he's ok though :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    The latest foster has arrived.   We were having a break to do some decorating, but I've always wanted a Sphynx and one came in to the rescue today.

He doesn't have a name yet, and apparently Ballsack has been overuled.  

7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    The latest foster has arrived.   We were having a break to do some decorating, but I've always wanted a Sphynx and one came in to the rescue today.

He doesn't have a name yet, and apparently Ballsack has been overuled.  

E.T. ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I should say he's actually had 2 names already, he's only just over a year old and had 2 homes.

First he was called Cooling.   Then he got renamed Smokey.    We don't think either suits him, and if he gets on with our resident cats, it's likely he will stay
  • What's his temperament like? I've wondered - the look gives the impression that he'll be skittish and aloof, but maybe I'm being prejudiced and he's just as interested in warm places and string and cardboard boxes as any other cat. 

Probably more interested in warm places, actually. 
    Indeed, he is very friendly and been cuddled up with us all night.  They are an intelligent social breed, known for being very affectionate.  Very talkative too.

They feel nicer than they look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2
    The Sphynx had to go after a few months.   Like many of his breed, he had a very sensitive stomach.  This did not work well with our free feeders and the constant cleaning became very stressful.   We tried a lot to solve his issues, but ultimately our home was not right for him.

He went to another home where he is now kept on a very strict diet and finally doing firm poos.  His name is Ken, which is apparently short for Rotisserie ChicKEN

But in other news we have taken in this old boy today.

He's a 12 year old Maine Coon X Persian called Teddy.   Not sure if he will stay or not, but we want to find out how he gets on with the other cats so we know what sort of home he is suited to.     

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ I hope Teddy fits in with your regulars, although I'm not sure that the positioning of the VHS tape to his right is a hopeful omen...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well older cats are hard to rehome so he may stop here anyway.  He's already near the top age for a Maine Coon, or retirement age for a Persian.

So far he's very confident and friendly with people, but not loving the other cats.  We are also fairly sure he is deaf and may have some issues with his back legs.
    ...And it's a game in the style of a vhs case
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27440
    We’ve rejoined the fostering thing recently. 

This is Milo. He has a deformed back foot and he doesn’t care. Absolutely terror, but also the cutest cat on earth. 

And this is Clyde. He lives with his sister and several others in the office car park where they are well looked after. We think he’s also Milo’s half brother. He had an abscess so we took him to the vet and had him with us while he got better. 

Clyde didn’t really like being in a house but he has learned that I am his friend and now enjoys scritches 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7091
    tFB Trader
    Envious of all these cats.

Our last cat died aged 19 a while back and we haven't found one to replace her yet. The local cat rescue won't help as we live on a busy road, despite our last two cats dying of old age. And I don't want to buy from the bedroom breeders on Gumtree.
    We are on a busy road, but the cats are all kept in and we have a catio.

Some rescues do seem quite militant.   Check for fostering groups on FB as most will be crying out for volunteers, although some maintain the same approach as when adopting.  It helps if you know someone who can recommend you

It will be kitten season again soon.  They will all be overrun
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3640
    Like Roger Moore in 'North Sea Hijack', I generally prefer cats to (most) people. 

Well done. Doing admirable work. And as for the subhuman threatening to drown those two kittens.....
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23343
    Greatape said:
    Like Roger Moore in 'North Sea Hijack', I generally prefer cats to (most) people. 
    Known as ffolkes in the USA and elsewhere, trivia fans.  You'd think it would be the other way round, give the UK the quirky title and the rest of the world the meat-and-potatoes one.  I love that film.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2664
    I suppose they thought audiences would be confused by the fact that no one actually hijacks the North Sea, but just an oil rig standing in it. Also, no one in Middle America knows what the North Sea is. 
    House guest for the weekend

This is Clementine.  She is about a week old, found in a garden by herself a few days ago.  There was no sign of the mum anywhere so it's likely she was dropped and forgotten whilst mum was moving them around. 

Kitten season begins properly.  We were due to get a homeless pregnant mum in last week, but they failed to catch her.  We were also asked  to take another pregnant mum, but this turned out to be a breeder who wanted the kittens back to sell after the charity had done all the hard work.  She was told to jog on.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom