Slash feat. Brian Johnson - "Killing Floor"

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1109
    beed84 said:
    I love Slash, but these two tracks sound like blues by numbers. Hopefully, the overall album will be better.
    That;s exactly what they are. This is an album as part of his Gibson contract. They put out one of his originals, he does a gimmicky album and flogs some guitars like the ES 335 @gubble mentions above.

Interesting though in a recent Guitar World interview he talks about using Strats and Teles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1367
    Neil said:
    Personally I found the Slash and his pals version turgid.

This is the gold standard - JHE Fire and skill - live!

wot neil said.^^ 100%
    For me, the first 20 seconds is the best bit of electric guitar playing ever recorded. Ive heard many try and many fail to get even close. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12228
    gubble said:
    Trogly reviewed it.  Even he found it 'meh' with little about the guitar to link it to The Behatted One.

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 786
    LPManic said:
    beed84 said:
    I love Slash, but these two tracks sound like blues by numbers. Hopefully, the overall album will be better.
    That;s exactly what they are. This is an album as part of his Gibson contract. They put out one of his originals, he does a gimmicky album and flogs some guitars like the ES 335 @gubble mentions above.

Interesting though in a recent Guitar World interview he talks about using Strats and Teles.
    I believe he's used all sorts in the studio. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6405
    Heard it on Planet Rock on Sunday, bloody loved it, Tyler's harmonica wailing is the best bit IMHO
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6974
    Album released today - will check it out on spotify
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2620
    edited May 17 tFB Trader
    mrkb said:
    Yeah they have them all up on youtube aswell. 

Honestly. Im a pretty big Slash fan and I havent listened to all of it yet but so far I have no real love for what I have heard. Everything seems very overproduced and by the numbers. Nothing exciting going on at all...

Slash - YouTube
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6974
    Papa was a rolling stone is quite good - stands out as the best so far
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 374
    I'm loving the vibe of these tracks. Yes, more produced than Howlin Wolf and Jimi but I've heard faker. If it gets the kids into this stuff (and I think it will!) I'm all for it.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2436
    Rabs said:
    mrkb said:
    Yeah they have them all up on youtube aswell. 

Honestly. Im a pretty big Slash fan and I havent listened to all of it yet but so far I have no real love for what I have heard. Everything seems very overproduced and by the numbers. Nothing exciting going on at all...

Slash - YouTube
    Agreed. It was pretty drab and uninspiring overall. It should’ve been called Orgy of the Bland.
    mrkb said:
    Papa was a rolling stone is quite good - stands out as the best so far
    Same. When I saw the track listing and singers, I predicted I’d like this the most – Demi Lovato has a great voice. However, along with the rest of the tracks, I do think it was quite restrained though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1764
    Can I be the first to predict a slash gold top Les Paul with p90.........
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23426
    gubble said:
    Can I be the first to predict a slash gold top Les Paul with p90.........
    If you predict a Slash any-top Les Paul with any-pickups, you'll probably be right sooner or later.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 17 tFB Trader
    topdog91 said:
    I'm loving the vibe of these tracks. Yes, more produced than Howlin Wolf and Jimi but I've heard faker. If it gets the kids into this stuff (and I think it will!) I'm all for it.
    Yeah, im not saying its bad.. Its just I have heard it all before and done way better. But as you say if it helps someone new find the blues and what that has to offer, thats cool.

However, sadly I dont think it will help much. For millennials hes that old bloke in the top hat who plays guitar. GnR now is how we looked at 60s and 70s rockers in the 80s and 90s... A bunch of old blokes who should give up and do something new  D   And I love the blues but I think its been done to death now.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23426
    edited May 17
    Rabs said:
    GnR now is how we looked 60s and 70s rockers in the 80s and 90s... A bunch of old blokes who should give up and do something new  D   
    I often reflect on the fact that when I started really getting into music in the early '80s, I was buying stuff that was no more than 10 to 12 years old, but it seemed like ancient history.  Of course that's something to do with being a teenager and anyone over 30 seeming decrepit...

Vintage Strats and Les Pauls were only 20 yeas old then, too.  Now I've got guitars much older than that.
    edited May 17 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Rabs said:
    GnR now is how we looked 60s and 70s rockers in the 80s and 90s... A bunch of old blokes who should give up and do something new  D   
    I often reflect on the fact that when I started really getting into music in the early '80s, I was buying stuff that was no more than 10 to 12 years old, but it seemed like ancient history.  Of course that's something to do with being a teenager and anyone over 30 seeming decrepit...

Vintage Strats and Les Pauls were only 20 yeas old then, too.  Now I've got guitars much older than that.
    And yet throughout all of this, somehow the Rolling Stones keep on going?  D   
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1109
    Enjoyed Chris Robinson on the opening track the Pusher. Gary Clark Jr was not great. Listened to half of it and nothing too exciting. First track by far the best so far.
  • Well it's not unlistenable, I just wouldn't hear this in a record store and go "is that the new Slash album?"

The usual culprit guest singers... Iggy, Billy F Gibbons, it's all just a bit predictable.

Being a covers album isn't even the problem IMHO. I like some. Probably my favourites being Def Leppard's YEAH and Aerosmith's Honkin on Bobo. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4682
    Beth Hart on top form as usual