Poopot's Cover Challenge #26 - the letter M

What's Hot
flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
edited January 12 in Making Music
Welcome to the 26th Poopot's Cover Challenge

The winner of our last challenge @thecolourbox ;;has made his choice for M. And it's all the Ms

which is...

Master of Puppets by Metallica

That's right.

And remember that it's now fine to include songs that start with "the" as long as the next word begins with the challenge letter. If you don't want to cover the chosen track then you can choose any song starting with M or M preceded by "the".

But… if you cover the chosen track you will automatically receive a bonus 5pts as a head start

RULES:

Entries to be sent in mp3 format to the following Email address:

covers@thefretboard.co.uk

Please comment in the thread when you've sent an entry. And feel free to submit more than one entry if you want.

You may wish to submit artwork to go with your entry. It brightens up the playlist and might subliminally get you more votes but it's not mandatory. 

Entries close at 11.30pm on Friday 29th March 2024... so get onto it!!!!

A playlist of all the entries will also be posted below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/poopots-cover-challenge-26-m
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27510
    Think I’ll pick a different “starting with M” option :D 

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    which is...

Master of Puppets by Metallica 
    Oooof, it would take me to the deadline to learn one of the guitar parts!
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    A ballad version would be about 15 minutes long!
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    As luck would have it, I started a cover of this very song midway through the last challenge.

I reckoned it wouldn't be the chosen song but who cares I'll do it for a laugh... I'm almost finished my first draft! Just got to sort out an ending and then track vocals (and add tweaks to virtually every instrument in the full BBC symphonic orchestra vst)

And I didn't influence the track choice. Honest.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    Haha has anybody ever been happy with the cover song choice? I chose it as all the other M songs I'd added to my brainstorm list were very "me" and I wanted to choose something bit out of my normal zone to have a go at. The vocal tune I know from it only covers about 4 notes, and the basic guitar part seems quite adaptable to being made simpler, which is what I'm planning to do. You guys have heard enough of my playing style to know that fast metal style playing isn't my usual thing but it's a good challenge to make it work
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's a great choice. Can't wait to hear what people do with it (or any other track)
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    I’m definitely not going for a straight cover this time .
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27510
     but it's a good challenge to make it work
    On reflection ... very true!

When I saw the track choice, my first thought was "how the hell do I cover that", but I was thinking of a like-for-like cover, rather than a re-interpretation!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Ahh yes, nothing need ever be literal here, there are those who will recall the great Uncle Slippyfist and other "alternative" interpretations from challenges of yore!

I have done straight covers (my Jeff buckley one in the L round) but most of the time I strip things down to tune and chords and then go from there with it. You've heard my style, Metallica shredding isn't very congruent with that haha but it'll be fun. Plus, you could also choose any other M song
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    TTony said:

When I saw the track choice, my first thought was "how the hell do I cover that", but I was thinking of a like-for-like cover, rather than a re-interpretation!
    Looks on the plus side, at least @flying_pie isn't laying down a personal challenge of a 6 minute Malmsteen instrumental! Ha ha

I want to try and have a go at this one if I get time. I think it could go lots of different places.
    Haha has anybody ever been happy with the cover song choice?
    I can confirm they have not
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252

More often than not I don't know the song or artist at all. In this case my history jumps straight from 'Ride the Lightning' to the black 'Metallica' album.
    I only really know Master of Puppets (because of Stranger Things) and Nothing Else Matters (because I had to play it at a wedding on piano), so you may well know more than me to be fair!
    IMC1980 said:
    You are forgetting the overwhelming flood of positivity for "Beauty Has Her Way" ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Time for a bit of music trivia:

When recording MOP the engineer had Metallica detune their instruments and play the track slower to get the recording as tight as possible. As it was recorded on tape it was then sped up to concert pitch. Obviously they were capable of playing it faster than the album going on the live shows at the time so it's definitely not cheating.

So in the interests of authenticity anyone covering it can do so slower then speed it up in your DAW (although recording at 120bpm might be pushing it somewhat)
    Bezzer said:
    TTony said:

Looks on the plus side, at least @flying_pie isn't laying down a personal challenge of a 6 minute Malmsteen instrumental! Ha ha
    And you nailed it. I consider that to be a demonstration of good direction on my part.

I'll give you advance warning that your letter T challenge will be either Technical Difficulties or Through The Fire And The Flames
    At this point I no longer know if I love you, or hate you.
    Bezzer said:
    IMC1980 said:
    You are forgetting the overwhelming flood of positivity for "Beauty Has Her Way" ...
    Yes, OK. The guys did gush over that one....
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Ok so I haven't done one of these before and I have zero intention of playing Metallica in any style, but I'm starting to get properly into the recording side of things, and deadlines usually help me get things done, so I may give this a go.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Ok so I haven't done one of these before and I have zero intention of playing Metallica in any style, but I'm starting to get properly into the recording side of things, and deadlines usually help me get things done, so I may give this a go.
    Yessss definitely join in, it's great fun. The vast majority of entries are not the chosen song so as long as it starts with the right letter it's all good. Looking forward to hearing how you get on