Poopot's Cover Challenge #26 - the letter M

What's Hot

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    Bezzer said:
    At this point I no longer know if I love you, or hate you.
    It's both. That's why you're addicted.

Bitch
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 8
    Ok so I haven't done one of these before and I have zero intention of playing Metallica in any style, but I'm starting to get properly into the recording side of things, and deadlines usually help me get things done, so I may give this a go.
    Get stuck in. Anything goes - just have fun and don't be afraid to ask if you need help with anything
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27601
    so I may give this a go.
    Get on with it!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    TTony said:
    so I may give this a go.
    Get on with it!!
    Cheers. This is quite literally the exact sort of motivation I need!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I'm going to spice things up for this challenge with a one-off rule change....

Seeing as Master Of Puppets is not just a track but also the name of arguably the best metal album of all time, and one of my personal favourites, I'll allow covers of any song from the album.

And in a super-rule twist if anyone covers the entire album then it's a bonus 50 points!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27601
    edited January 8

And in a super-rule twist if anyone covers the entire album then it's a bonus 50 points!
    Define "covers" D

[edit]
    Oh ...
    https://www.licklibrary.com/learn/courses/classic-albums-master-of-puppets#
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:

Define "covers" D

Oh ...
    https://www.licklibrary.com/learn/courses/classic-albums-master-of-puppets#
    It's only 8 songs and one is an instrumental. Doubt you'll get a better opportunity for a guaranteed win.... ;)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6876
    Winning is for losers ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 470
    I've sent in an entry.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9723
    Impressive turnaround time idiotwind, as somebody who leaves everything to the last second your ability to get stuff in early on in the window continues to impress me. Looking forward to hearing it
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    edited January 12
    the full BBC symphonic orchestra vst
    How are you  getting on with that plugin? Some really lovely sounds in there for me except for the strings which I always seem to have to "double track" with the Native Session Strings plug in as well, as the volume swell effect is so ridiculously long for anything except slow soundtrack type chords. Have you found a way to make it more usable? Most annoying thing is the dynamics controlling on the BBC one uses a different thing than the Native Session Strings - Native uses velocity i think, can't remember what the BBC ones uses. So i can't even just do a straight copy and paste between the two (nor just export midi from a score in Musescore) as I have to find a way to replicate the expression levels on a different thing.

Sorry for using words like "the thing" but I don't know what they are called. The things that you use for velocity, pan, sustain, pitch bend etc
    Impressive turnaround time idiotwind, as somebody who leaves everything to the last second your ability to get stuff in early on in the window continues to impress me. Looking forward to hearing it
    It's the joy of this challenge being alphabetical rather than a random theme each time, and of rarely bothering with the main track.  I started this one in mid December and have another track I've been working on since October.  And I've started sketching things out for N and O.  I've even got a good idea for S that I quickly recorded a few bits for so I can remember it in 2 years time or whenever we get to that.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6876
    idiotwind said:
    It's the joy of this challenge being alphabetical rather than a random theme each time, and of rarely bothering with the main track.  I started this one in mid December and have another track I've been working on since October.  And I've started sketching things out for N and O.  I've even got a good idea for S that I quickly recorded a few bits for so I can remember it in 2 years time or whenever we get to that.
    Thats kind of how Im thinking, but havent got the recording way in advance sorted yet. I started learning my M track mid dec. I hoping this will mean I can make time to play all the parts (drums, bass, guitar and singing) rather than just put guitar parts to a MIDI/backing track.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited January 12
    Ahaa that makes sense. I did start my M songs spotify playlist a few weeks ago but I don't really start learning to play stuff (if I don't already know it) until I'm basically ready to record it. I suppose with the singing I kind of do as I'm a very "singy" person so will often be subconsciously brain storming as I go about cleaning the kitchen etc. Similar with my piano playing weekend job I suppose, I do a lot of the "practice" in my head then when I eventually play it on the instrument I know what I want it to do and it's more or less fully formed by that point. 

It works for my mostly chord based rhythm playing, but I suppose that explains why my timing is all over the place and polish is a bit rough at the edges. It's interesting the different approaches that people take though, I'm aware mine is a bit weird but very much relates to my "do things just in time" approach, also doing things when the mood strikes and don't take long about doing it so you don't run out of time
    the full BBC symphonic orchestra vst
    How are you  getting on with that plugin? Some really lovely sounds in there for me except for the strings which I always seem to have to "double track" with the Native Session Strings plug in as well, as the volume swell effect is so ridiculously long for anything except slow soundtrack type chords. Have you found a way to make it more usable? Most annoying thing is the dynamics controlling on the BBC one uses a different thing than the Native Session Strings - Native uses velocity i think, can't remember what the BBC ones uses. So i can't even just do a straight copy and paste between the two (nor just export midi from a score in Musescore) as I have to find a way to replicate the expression levels on a different thing.

Sorry for using words like "the thing" but I don't know what they are called. The things that you use for velocity, pan, sustain, pitch bend etc
    yeah... I see what you mean about the strings. I'll be uploading my track soon but expect to abuse my tfb status and replace it with tweaks over the next couple of months.

I've been blending multiple tracks (long notes and trem) with volume/velocity automation in DAW rather than real time recording to try and get decent swells. I'm a beginner at orchestral scoring but it seems that percussion and brass really help with the dramatic swells. I might try adding some other string plugins as well. I'll happily accept all constructive criticism when my track is in the list

My biggest issue with the strings is that the faster notes sound really synthetic, which is a nuisance given they're doing the guitar solo! Still, can't argue too much given it's a free plugin 
    @idiotwind in the playlist
    edited January 18
    Also, this kind of cover where I take a crappy pop song and do it in a completely different style is much quicker than a straight cover. I don't have to transcribe the drum part or learn a solo note for note.  It's more an original (though derivative) composition with the original lyrics stuck on top.

For this, the song was the first that came to mind as something silly to mess with. I tried a few things but then stumbled upon the funky clavinet sound whilst browsing Analog Lab and that riff pretty much wrote itself. Spent a while selecting the drum parts, then some simple organ and rhythm guitar chords.

Vocals were one take and purposefully buried/effects heavy to try and minimise the impact of such pearls as "the tropical scent of you lifts me from above". Stuck in a little Mambo No 5 at the end for fun, along with the little bits of Macarena. Finally, a couple of run throughs of the solo (homemade fuzz into software auto wah) and a generic funk bassline on my fretless.
    I have changed my idea based on my band's latest song list. But I have started! 

Still not Metallica, but just as fun :) 

• HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    I’m also not doing Metallica. Have done the midi drums and bass, and recorded the guitar tracks, but may redo the solo.

Are we doing teaser pics now?  =)
    edited January 20
    Habanero said:
    I’m also not doing Metallica. Have done the midi drums and bass, and recorded the guitar tracks, but may redo the solo.

Are we doing teaser pics now? 
    Haha well I am. I've been working up to this for years

edit - fixed link here 
    https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/260508/actually-recording-stuff#latest