New Top Gear- The Verdict

What's Hot

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6916
    As a casual observer who is neither interested in cars or the previous TG - it seemed ok last night.

The only reason I switched the TV on at 8pm was because I'd read about it here!

I don't dislike Evans though so I'm probably more tolerant...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    edited May 2016
    oh here is the right post to comment:

as I said earlier - "Jeez - you'd think they would have checked that Matt LeBland could read first wouldn't you??"

BUT I give him top marks for sporting a Belstaff Mojave jacket in the desert

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB15IiOMXXXXXcfXpXXq6xXFXXXc/2016-new-arrival-fashion-union-small-flag-steve-mcqueen-waxed-cotton-jacket-waxed-jacket-i-am.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    It was ok,   felt like a nervous first gig that should settle into a routine.   After all the fuss, I was surprised they hadn't changed the format - I thought this would have been a good opportunity to try something new.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16307
    57Deluxe said:

as I said earlier - "Jeez - you'd think they would have checked that Matt LeBland could read first wouldn't you??"

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB15IiOMXXXXXcfXpXXq6xXFXXXc/2016-new-arrival-fashion-union-small-flag-steve-mcqueen-waxed-cotton-jacket-waxed-jacket-i-am.jpg

Seemed pretty much product placement! I do sort of want one now though...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 939
    I hated it.  Chris Evans is shouty and the others are just dull.  It didn't have enough about cars in but at the same time had far too much about cars in it - what the hell?  I mean, admittedly I didn't watch it, but *had* I done, I'm pretty sure all this would apply....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5586
    I thought it was lame, and trying too hard but yet not trying enough. In it's defence though, if you can cast your minds back to when this 'new' Top Gear first launched, it was pretty dull as well. For me it only really became must-see when James May joined.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23426
    57Deluxe said:

It's a nice jacket.  But I've just seen how much they cost.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    edited May 2016
    57Deluxe said:

There are two versions of that jacket- the fashion version and the motorcycle version.
    Buy the motorcycle version and take out the shoulder/elbow/back armour.

It is a much better jacket.
    Almost all the Belstaff stuff is better made in the motorcycle line of products because they reinforce the stitching to survive an off.
    I have a couple of Belstaff Jackets- the only time I've bought a fashion line jacket has been from an outlet store like Bicester Village.
    You'll generally get them £200 off there. 

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I got bored but give them time to grow into it.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I think the show overall can grow and improve but I don't think it will under Evans because, as mentioned earlier, that was just Chris Evans being himself. Trying too hard, the forced fake zaniness and loud lad act has given him a career. It's all he knows. The rest of the presenters have a chance. Evans is the odd man out and a bad fit for the show.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Mind you, I found Hammond annoying and fake as well. I always thought it was the chemistry between Clarkson and May that actually made the old Top Gear. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1327
    I'm just disappointed that they played it so safe. Who would want to go and stand in the audience there now?
    Not me. It felt more like smtv-live, except that had the delectable Cat Deely, so I would much rather go back in time and watch that, thanks.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23426
    eSully said:
    Mind you, I found Hammond annoying and fake as well. I always thought it was the chemistry between Clarkson and May that actually made the old Top Gear. 
    The thing about Hammond is he genuinely believes he's "the cool one".  And he believes the public think the same.  Which is funny in itself.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    When does the Amazon version start?
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5586
    ennspek said:
    When does the Amazon version start?

Later in the year, they're doing tickets in the summer then filming round the world. 'The Grand Tour'.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    i was expecting a new show, but the format is 99% the same as the old one which was VERY tired.

However the fact that Richard "shitstain" Hammond isn't in it makes it instantly less irritating

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Just bought a Fire Stick for the TV so I thought I'd give it another go. If you go in prepared to ignore Evans it's half watchable, go to about 45 mins this time. Le Blanc isn't too bad, he's got the pace of presenting a bit like James May, the Nomad section was pretty good.

Evans has been spouting FACTS on twitter about viewers/audience share but does the average punter give a monkeys about that?

Nope........
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11493
    I was pleasantly surprised by Matt LeBlanc.

I think it would probably help to have a third presenter in the studio, but they probably wanted to try and do something a bit different.  if they had had 3 of them then there would have been even more comments about no changes.

I think the rally cross idea for the star in the car is a good idea.

They are in a difficult situation.  The old one was a bit tired, but if they change it too much it's not Top Gear any more.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7640
    My 2p:

The opening was weak - CE doesn't have the personal impact to deliver in a style that Clarkson made his own (whoever wrote it)

They seemed to settle down in the studio links - got less awkward

I was expecting to hate Joey in this, but he's by far the better of them in the features. I liked him. 

They'll tune it as they go. Who remembers the fat bloke who used to do the bit on used cars in original-new-TG? They soon "tuned" that. 
    Red ones are better.