Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    Move the reverb and amp to the second path - by clicking action and then moving.

This will free up more DSP before the amp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7583
    fnpt said:
    Got it - thanks. However, I don't think I have run out of DSP with just comp+drive+chorus+amp+cab+delay+reverb

I want to ad the overdrive before the amp. If I ad it on the second path will it not be after the amp?
    I wouldn't have thought you would either - but try as @peteri says anyway and see 
    Red ones are better. 
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 750
    Thanks 
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    fnpt said:
    Got it - thanks. However, I don't think I have run out of DSP with just comp+drive+chorus+amp+cab+delay+reverb

I want to ad the overdrive before the amp. If I ad it on the second path will it not be after the amp?
    Depending on the amp you can easily do it with that 
    move the delay and reverb to path 2 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 260
    I'm almost at the point where i'm going to order an LT, had enough of my crappy pedalboard with it's cheap noisy power supply and pedals. Only thing decent i have on it is a TS9 mini. I have a cheapy chorus pedal that gives a nice chorus effect but it's so noisy when off or on (especially with some gain on the amp) that i ripped it off the board in disgust the other day. 
    On top of that i need a wah, reverb, delay and probably a few others for a new band project and i'm thinking sod it just get a helix. 

I think i asked this question before but not sure..
    I have a 2 channel amp, i like to use channel 1 with a bit of gain for classic rock stuff, channel 2 for heavier stuff. I want to use Helix on either channels with some effects before the amp and a couple in the loop. I know it can do that. 
    But could i also have another channel, call it ch3, that bypasses the preamp and just uses the power amp section of my amp?
    And if so could i switch between the 3 channels at will, without rerouting cables? 

So effectively giving me 3 channels (or more) i could use during a gig? 
    And (this might sound silly but i'm clueless haha) is Helix quiet? Providing i use good cables am i likely to get any unwanted noise?
    Thanks!
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    nick79 said:
    I'm almost at the point where i'm going to order an LT, had enough of my crappy pedalboard with it's cheap noisy power supply and pedals. Only thing decent i have on it is a TS9 mini. I have a cheapy chorus pedal that gives a nice chorus effect but it's so noisy when off or on (especially with some gain on the amp) that i ripped it off the board in disgust the other day. 
    On top of that i need a wah, reverb, delay and probably a few others for a new band project and i'm thinking sod it just get a helix. 

I think i asked this question before but not sure..
    I have a 2 channel amp, i like to use channel 1 with a bit of gain for classic rock stuff, channel 2 for heavier stuff. I want to use Helix on either channels with some effects before the amp and a couple in the loop. I know it can do that. 
    But could i also have another channel, call it ch3, that bypasses the preamp and just uses the power amp section of my amp?
    And if so could i switch between the 3 channels at will, without rerouting cables? 

So effectively giving me 3 channels (or more) i could use during a gig? 
    And (this might sound silly but i'm clueless haha) is Helix quiet? Providing i use good cables am i likely to get any unwanted noise?
    Thanks!

yeah it can do that easily. you'd put the amps preamp into a loop and operate it like a stomp box. and have a control signal out to swap amp channels :)

its pretty quiet anyway, and you can drop noise gates at strategic places in the signal path to really clean up amp/gain hiss.

• nick79nick79 Frets: 260
    Ace, thanks mate :)
  • dealmakerdealmaker Frets: 18
    FarleyUK said:
    Aaaaand my third Helix unit has developed the same fault as the others - joystick no longer working.

Seriously getting annoyed with this now - it isn't gigged excessively, it's not mis-treated and it is stored in a padded case. And yet, each unit develops a fault!

Plus, I've got a load of festival gigs this weekend, which I now cannot use it for.

I know it's a complex bit of kit, but I have serious doubts about the overall reliability of the unit now; starting to wonder if an Axe FX would actually be better.
    Yeah - thats why I gave mine back to the shop - it just simply didn't seem of robust enough quality to me, and had a few niggles with the Joystick..........so I went to an AX8 - which feels Weapons Grade in comparison. Played a festival gig two Saturdays ago with another band we see often. The guitarist has a Helix and he was having issues with his as well.....he saw my AX8 (we were on before them) - and he couldn't leave it alone......

I still fancy a Helix to play around with in my practice room - but don't think I would gig one. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dealmaker said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Aaaaand my third Helix unit has developed the same fault as the others - joystick no longer working.

Seriously getting annoyed with this now - it isn't gigged excessively, it's not mis-treated and it is stored in a padded case. And yet, each unit develops a fault!

Plus, I've got a load of festival gigs this weekend, which I now cannot use it for.

I know it's a complex bit of kit, but I have serious doubts about the overall reliability of the unit now; starting to wonder if an Axe FX would actually be better.
    Yeah - thats why I gave mine back to the shop - it just simply didn't seem of robust enough quality to me, and had a few niggles with the Joystick..........so I went to an AX8 - which feels Weapons Grade in comparison. Played a festival gig two Saturdays ago with another band we see often. The guitarist has a Helix and he was having issues with his as well.....he saw my AX8 (we were on before them) - and he couldn't leave it alone......

I still fancy a Helix to play around with in my practice room - but don't think I would gig one. 
    Conversely I gig one every week

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Yep, my Helix been gigged regularly and hasn't missed a beat in 12 months
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 247
    Can it, or is it possible in future updates to do the B9, C9 etc pedals from EHX?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    edited July 2017
    Never had an issue when gigging mine. Its frozen a couple of times, but only when I've maxed out the DSP and am trying to change a block, whilst editing at home..
  • Lol @ the fractal fanboys desperately clinging on the durability myth
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    Lol @ the fractal fanboys desperately clinging on the durability myth
    The Fractal Forumites are a tad Evangelical, the Axe-Fx and Helix  are both great units tbh, haven't tried a Kemper or new Headrush yet ;)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8783
    It's not a myth. Fractal and Line6 come from different starting positions. Engineering and mass market. Fractal have not been afraid to use higher spec components. Line6 have been conscious of keeping the consumer price down. Both have made design/selection decisions which have had to be updated. It's likely that Line6 will eventually dominate the market. 

The important thing here is not whether one or the other is better. "Better" depends on your criteria. @clarky is an AxeFX user, but looking at Helix because his fly rig would be smaller and lighter. The important thing is that they compete, and challenge each other to improve their products.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepy said:
    The Fractal Forumites are a tad Evangelical, the Axe-Fx and Helix  are both great units tbh, haven't tried a Kemper or new Headrush yet ;)
    Are Helix forumites not evangelical too?

gibsongretschfan said:
    Mate, us Fractal users aren't "clinging" on to anything, it's a spectacular piece of kit and I'd back it 100% against anything the Helix throws at it (except UI) ;-)

They're both fantastic units. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The Helix forums haven't quite reached the " Cult of Cliff" level, there is always the "my gear is better than your gear"  banter, having both the Axe-Fx and Helix, I'm finding both units have their Pros and Cons and I'm lucky enough to be able to keep both. The Axe-Fx is updated a lot more frequently but I'm assuming that's in part to it being a smaller team and less hierarchy in the development dept
    sweepy said:
    The Helix forums haven't quite reached the " Cult of Cliff" level, there is always the "my gear is better than your gear"  banter, having both the Axe-Fx and Helix, I'm finding both units have their Pros and Cons and I'm lucky enough to be able to keep both. The Axe-Fx is updated a lot more frequently but I'm assuming that's in part to it being a smaller team and less hierarchy in the development dept
    They are spending a lot of time harmonising the platforms at the moment. Native is coming out without snapshots and the editor is being re-done to match the Native interface.
    With that firmware 2.3 will arrive which has some new stuff in it but I don't know any of the details.
    After that the plan is to get them to a common platform so updates can be written once and released many.
    So my gut feel is the success of the Helix caught them a little on the hop but they are consolidating and planning for the future.
    As for the evangelicalism of guitar gear I'm involved in the big 3 communities. Kemper Fractal and Line 6 and as a neutral party I can safely announce there are a large portion of dobbers in all three.
    at the end of the day it's only an FX board or a modeller. I don't get it.
     Here's a bit of free advice for anyone who cares to take it. Never mind what other people are doing, concentrate on what's in front of you. The Axe 8 and the Kemper are no better or worse than the Helix, they are just different.
    Better at some things, worse at others. Pick the thing that does the most for you and then who cares what everyone else is doing.
    just my view
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    I agree totally with the last sentiment above, use your ears and play the bloody guitar :)