Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The forum, its present and its future

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    No long speeches
    im just really glad that the forum is continuing (was beginning to get worried last few days)
    so good luck and thanks @digitalscream ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298

One person I miss is Random Handclaps
    I don't think J will come back here. I tried to get him to over the years but I just think he doesn't like the vibe. He's a very good friend of mine and I'd love it if he'd resurrect his account.

Give him a hug and a kiss.  I had never known that images could be so funny til that dude.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I hope we can still have a sense of humour...something TTony appeared to lack at times
    Don't want to stoke up any aggro... but, to me, that seems rather unfair... and a fairly pointless comment in the circumstances.  I always found TTony to be very fair and extremely tolerant. I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to keep my cool when faced with some of the nonsense that goes on here. 
    Well said @Strat_a_tat_tat , @TTony put up with a lot of shit, especially this year when someone who should know better was trying to start a row with The Big T.  As has been acknowledged, Tony has put in a lot of work for this forum which at times people may have forgotten.  I think that he may be back, and even more powerful than before.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    sounds good to me
  • Well said @Strat_a_tat_tat , @TTony put up with a lot of shit, especially this year when someone who should know better was trying to start a row with The Big T.  As has been acknowledged, Tony has put in a lot of work for this forum which at times people may have forgotten.  I think that he may be back, and even more powerful than before.
    Tony-Wan Kenobi? 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well said @Strat_a_tat_tat , @TTony put up with a lot of shit, especially this year when someone who should know better was trying to start a row with The Big T.  As has been acknowledged, Tony has put in a lot of work for this forum which at times people may have forgotten.  I think that he may be back, and even more powerful than before.
    Tony-Wan Kenobi? 
    I can neither confirm nor deny that rumour ;) 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Can we have @Sambostar back as well please? I miss the lunatic and his crazy posts.

Glad to hear there is a plan, @digitalscream, and thank you for all of the hard work thus far.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    All sounds good ;
    @PC_Dave ; @Sambostar is around, he just doesn't post much. Last sighting I seen was in BCD posting his usual quasi-random youtube videos.

• ewalewal Frets: 2584
    Can we have that guy from MR who really like guitars with Bigsbys back? Can't remember his name but he seemed quite cool.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Sounds good @digitalscream the only thing I don’t think is a great idea is starting new software from the ground up, there are great options already that do the subscription for privileges / features really well (including the use of attachments), all you have to do is decide what subscription level gets what then the users deal with it themselves. 

Suggestion would be use an off the shelf but build you’re own plugins / extensions as required. Also means others can help you then if you need it from an admin point of view. 

I’ve done the subscription model with both VB (not with a barge pole these days and also XF, both handled it really well. 

Happy to help with the above if you change your mind. 

• Aye, Randomhandclaps was a good guy. 

As for Drew, if you don’t get on with him, don’t interact with him or entertain him. Seems pretty simple. There are a tonne of other people on here, and a whole wide world beyond this little  screen. Really not worth getting bent out of shape over. 

@digitalscream good to hear the plans. Look forward to seeing how it all plays out. 
  • There's a huge elephant in the room!..... .............. .......

Da lefty   :D
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24344
    strtdv said:
    I'd also extend the open door to more banned people. I'd even let J Collingridge back, just with no classifieds access.
     In fact I'd go so far as to let everyone that has been banned back and if they can be grown-ups well and good, and if not then just re-ban them.
    Anyone who had been banned over scamming wouldn't be allowed classifieds access.
    His crimes weren't limited to scamming. He's broken just about every rule we have, and some that we don't - including sending messages to my wife from fake accounts trying to convince her that I was having an affair.

Ain't gonna happen ;)
    What the actual fuck ???  Don't you have the c**nt's address ??  If anything deserves him getting tenderised with the thick end of a baseball bat, it's that.  What an absolute turd of a human being !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    I'd be up for helping out anything video related, I do it for my day job so I would hope I sort of know what I'm doing  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26625
    edited December 2018
    PVO_Dave said:
    Sounds good @digitalscream the only thing I don’t think is a great idea is starting new software from the ground up, there are great options already that do the subscription for privileges / features really well (including the use of attachments), all you have to do is decide what subscription level gets what then the users deal with it themselves. 

Suggestion would be use an off the shelf but build you’re own plugins / extensions as required. Also means others can help you then if you need it from an admin point of view. 

I’ve done the subscription model with both VB (not with a barge pole these days and also XF, both handled it really well. 

Happy to help with the above if you change your mind. 

I appreciate the offer of help, but honestly...I've looked at all the possibilities, and there's simply too much compromise in all of them. Most are written in PHP, which is an instant "nope" for me - I'm honestly tired of having that piece of junk on my servers, and that's before I have to deal with the crap that most PHP developers vomit into the compiler. It's not maintainable, it's not efficient, and if you want to scale it properly you end up relying on hacks and workarounds to keep your uptime.

As for XF...I don't do closed-source - it's too much of a risk. Take the security bomb that exploded on Rob Chapman's forum (using XF) a couple of years back - people would randomly get somebody else's profile when they logged in, PMs and all. If something like that occurred and the code was obfuscated like theirs is, with no legal right to decompile and make alterations, I'd have no option but to shut the site down. That's not a risk I'm willing to take.

Discourse (written in Rails and Angular, I think) was an option, but it's so prescriptive in terms of the architecture that it wouldn't leave us too many options for hosting...and all of them relatively expensive.

By comparison, I can write something that's exactly what we need without too much trouble (forums aren't actually as complicated as people seem to believe). I'm in no absolute rush to get it done, and I'm not setting any arbitrary deadlines.
    <space for hire>
  • Emp_Fab said:
    strtdv said:
    I'd also extend the open door to more banned people. I'd even let J Collingridge back, just with no classifieds access.
     In fact I'd go so far as to let everyone that has been banned back and if they can be grown-ups well and good, and if not then just re-ban them.
    Anyone who had been banned over scamming wouldn't be allowed classifieds access.
    His crimes weren't limited to scamming. He's broken just about every rule we have, and some that we don't - including sending messages to my wife from fake accounts trying to convince her that I was having an affair.

Ain't gonna happen ;)
    What the actual fuck ???  Don't you have the c**nt's address ??  If anything deserves him getting tenderised with the thick end of a baseball bat, it's that.  What an absolute turd of a human being !
    Yep. It was quite hilarious the way he went about it, though. It started with "Do you know when your husband was last Thursday?".

I was actually serving as foreman on a jury at Peterborough County Court. I don't think alibis come any more solid than that.
    <space for hire>
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Forum is great: a live and searchable resource of information on simple things like changing strings to talking about gear. I think videos / media will really help with this, particularly if the community starts chipping in too, to add to our reviews / opinions on products. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

• Forum is great: a live and searchable resource of information on simple things like changing strings to talking about gear. I think videos / media will really help with this, particularly if the community starts chipping in too, to add to our reviews / opinions on products. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

That reminds me...top of the list for current-functionality-to-be-improved is the search function, followed closely by the editor.
    <space for hire>
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24344
    edited December 2018
    Top of my list is a working...... anything.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    strtdv said:

Ain't gonna happen
     Stuff

Please don't say stuff like that because should he decide to cause trouble again he will find posts like this and report them to the police.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom