I'm too fat - help !

What's Hot

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    and the 72 virgins might all be over-weight males who use internet forums ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    RobDavies said:
    p90fool said:
    RobDavies;301077" said:
    ICBM said:

You just have to force yourself not to eat as much as you do now even when you feel hungry. If you can kick smoking, you can kick overeating.

It's really not that simple for some people, unfortunately.  I wish it was.
    It's that simple for everybody. Food is just fuel, you don't keep pumping petrol all over the floor long after your tank is full.

Nobody is saying it's easy, but it is definitely simple.

When you see famine zones around the world you never see a load of fat lasses hanging around puffing on a Lambert and Butler saying "Eee, I've aaalways bin big boned me, they say it's me glaaands..."

If you pump in less calories than you use you will lose weight, everything else is a diversion from that.
    Ah.  Yes.  The science behind it is indeed very simple.

However, there is a huge difference between the type of people you mention and others who have a genuine eating disorder.  Trust me, they do exist.

You can't just say to an alcoholic, "you're not thirsty, so stop drinking...".
    This is true. But it's also true that some people just lack the self-awareness to know what they're doing to their bodies, or they just don't care.

It's the same with smokers. Some of them are legitimately addicted. Others just lack the will or knowledge to know what they're doing. Often the two go hand in hand as well.

So dividing people up into categories like this isn't really as straight forward as you'd think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3984
    I have done Slimming World indirectly for the last 3 or 4 weeks because my wife and her friend are doing it.  They wanted me to get weighed with them so I went along with it.  However, at weekends I have still eaten what I wanted, including a weekly takeaway and a few lagers!  I have gone from 16 st 4 to 16 st 1 to 15 st 13 and am due to get weighed again tomorrow. I think the main thing I have removed from my diet is bread, no more sandwiches at work, and no more garlic bread with pasta etc.  I know its not a load of weight off but I really do feel better doing it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    The real trick would be to identify what's changed and seen you put on weight now.

All this "woo" about changing habits is correct but is ignoring the obvious - what's changed in you to see this change?

The idea of getting older and it being harder to stay in shape is true but that's not all of it.

So rather than heap changes in routine on, figure out if anything has changed that could have triggered the extra weight... pug not walking as far, worries etc.

The easiest way to improve something is to undo bad stuff; not swim against the flow.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Drew_fx said:
    This is true. But it's also true that some people just lack the self-awareness to know what they're doing to their bodies, or they just don't care.

It's the same with smokers. Some of them are legitimately addicted. Others just lack the will or knowledge to know what they're doing. Often the two go hand in hand as well.

So dividing people up into categories like this isn't really as straight forward as you'd think.
    Agreed- you have to take each case as its own.
    Also, the person doing the work has to care more about their own work than the rest of us do.
    It is kinda up to Emp now as to where he takes this.
    We can want him to do it, we can present him the information and we can cheer him along but he actually has to do it.

Supporting him whilst he is downing pints in the evening and then lamenting about it in the morning isn't doing him any favours at all.
    I don't know if his alcohol intake is a symptom of a disease or just a bad habit and I'm not qualified to give an opinion on that.
    However, booze is a weight loss killer- there are no two ways about it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Beer is a real killer. Red wine is much better for you. Fat and protein use lots of energy to digest, whereas carbs go straight to the waist. I went from 15 stone to 13 stone in four months just by quitting beer and exercise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31629
    I know the biology is simple and the psychology isn't, I've been around a bit and have had my own issues, but c'mon, washing down a spag bol with four pints of beer isn't the action of a man who really gives a shit.

There's struggling with your weight and there's laughing in the face of it (until you're lying alone on a bathroom floor with a tingling arm, an inability to breathe and a rising sense of utter panic).

Sorry to sound harsh, but there it is, we're educated, rational people discussing a ridiculous first-world problem.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    frankus said:
    The real trick would be to identify what's changed and seen you put on weight now.

All this "woo" about changing habits is correct but is ignoring the obvious - what's changed in you to see this change?

The idea of getting older and it being harder to stay in shape is true but that's not all of it.

So rather than heap changes in routine on, figure out if anything has changed that could have triggered the extra weight... pug not walking as far, worries etc.

The easiest way to improve something is to undo bad stuff; not swim against the flow.

in my case, discovering that I was 17st 10 was pretty pissing off.. I'd always been big, but not that big.. I just didn't notice it piling on..

I saw some pics of me frmo the last tour.. self loathing from a vanity perspective is a powerful thing..

in addition, I discovered that my cholesterol was getting to a "it'll kill you" level.. that kinda scared me.. I lost the weight, and my cholseterol is now normal..

play every note as if it were your first
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24387
    Hey, all you naysayers... I can do this... I'm not going to let you call me a fatty slacker doomed to fail. If I don't lose (%x)Kg by (%date), I'll (%forfeit).

Can you suggest suitable values for %x, %date and %forfeit please.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Don't go that way Emp, set a realistic goal of say 1-2 lb a week, and stick to it.

Since I've given up sugar in my tea, and only eat bread/pasta/potato on weekends I've lost around 5lbs.

Just need to get back to being healthy enough to go to the gym and I'll be well away.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    10, Christmas, and get that laminate flooring done by the end of January.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited July 2014
    Losing weight and exercising is a bit like making love to a beautiful woman...

You need to start slowly and gradually increase the intensity.

When you are peaking you then need to maintain for as long as possible.

Finishing before your exercise partner has reached their goal is not an option.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Laminate flooring done?

More chance of me becoming an astronaut.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    mike_l said:
    ICBM said:

Laminate flooring done?

fart violently enough and you'll have your own built-in rocket propulsion
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3913
    mike_l;302173" said:
    Don't go that way Emp, set a realistic goal of say 1-2 lb a week, and stick to it.

Since I've given up sugar in my tea, and only eat bread/pasta/potato on weekends I've lost around 5lbs.

Just need to get back to being healthy enough to go to the gym and I'll be well away.
    Mike's right. Be happy with 1-2 lbs per week.
    mike_l said:
    ICBM said:

Laminate flooring done?

fart violently enough and you'll have your own built-in rocket propulsion

I tried that, all I managed todo was clear the office........

:D

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    Deadman said:
    mike_l said:
    Mike's right. Be happy with 1-2 lbs per week.
    Joking aside, that's why I suggested 10Kg by Christmas. There are 22 weeks to go if I counted right, and 10Kg is 22lb. Although I didn't expect it to be such a perfect round number...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Emp_Fab said:
    Hey, all you naysayers... I can do this... I'm not going to let you call me a fatty slacker doomed to fail. If I don't lose (%x)Kg by (%date), I'll (%forfeit).

5kg is a good start.
    Give yourself 3 months to do it.
    No forfeit- that is the wrong way to approach it.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Emp_Fab said:

try dropping about 4st in about a year is really do-able

I did 5st in about 10 or 11 months.. Chris is on target to drop about 6st in about a year..

play every note as if it were your first