I'm too fat - help !

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    For me it's depression. I drink when I'm down, because of the whole social drinking thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10429
    octatonic said:
    Danny1969 said:
    I should be about 16 stone if beer is a weight gainer, I generally drink about 30 pints a week plus 2 or 3  bottles of wine. I mean I'm 12.5 stone which is over weight at 5.8" but I think most of that comes from the endless Kentuckies, Currys, cheese on toast for breakfast and other appalling diet habits.
    What seems to help me not become mr Creosote is not eating any sweet stuff ever, cycling to work and back  and drinking lots of water, i do about 6 pints of water a day and I'm sure it helps
    Sure, there are people that are drinking alcohol but aren't fat- everyone has different metabolism.
    That information doesn't help someone who is already overweight though.
    Trying to lose weight whilst consuming too much alcohol  isn't the same as never having put on weight and drinking too much.

That is a worrying amount of alcohol though- how long have you done this for?
    Have you ever had a liver function test?

Drinking water will help, a bit.
    30 pints a week is about 6000 calories.
    2 bottles of wine is about 1200.
    That is 8200 calories all up out of an average of around 2500 a day * 7 days= 17500.
    I don't know what your diet is and how much you eat but if you are exercising a bit and under-eating I can believe that it is possible for you to not gain weight doing that.
    However you are drinking about 100 units a week- or around 5 times the recommended maximum amount.

My diet is pretty bad, too many after gig burgers and kebabs, plus I love curry, Pizza and Kentucky. If I can get home to eat then the foods good, if i'm stuck at the studio then the foods gonna be something quick but generally unhealthy.  I spose looking at the units I do drink a lot and I know it's not a good thing but I do think it's interesting how food \ drink affect some people more than others. I genuinely  think some people literally can't help being over weight despite trying. I mean the drummer in one of my bands doesn't drink at all, doesn't eat a lot and when he does it's basically Atkins yet he's still 16 stone or more
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    octatonic said:
    Danny1969 said:
    I should be about 16 stone if beer is a weight gainer, I generally drink about 30 pints a week plus 2 or 3  bottles of wine. I mean I'm 12.5 stone which is over weight at 5.8" but I think most of that comes from the endless Kentuckies, Currys, cheese on toast for breakfast and other appalling diet habits.
    What seems to help me not become mr Creosote is not eating any sweet stuff ever, cycling to work and back  and drinking lots of water, i do about 6 pints of water a day and I'm sure it helps
    Sure, there are people that are drinking alcohol but aren't fat- everyone has different metabolism.
    That information doesn't help someone who is already overweight though.
    Trying to lose weight whilst consuming too much alcohol  isn't the same as never having put on weight and drinking too much.

That is a worrying amount of alcohol though- how long have you done this for?
    Have you ever had a liver function test?

Drinking water will help, a bit.
    30 pints a week is about 6000 calories.
    2 bottles of wine is about 1200.
    That is 8200 calories all up out of an average of around 2500 a day * 7 days= 17500.
    I don't know what your diet is and how much you eat but if you are exercising a bit and under-eating I can believe that it is possible for you to not gain weight doing that.
    However you are drinking about 100 units a week- or around 5 times the recommended maximum amount.

My diet is pretty bad, too many after gig burgers and kebabs, plus I love curry, Pizza and Kentucky. If I can get home to eat then the foods good, if i'm stuck at the studio then the foods gonna be something quick but generally unhealthy.  I spose looking at the units I do drink a lot and I know it's not a good thing but I do think it's interesting how food \ drink affect some people more than others. I genuinely  think some people literally can't help being over weight despite trying. I mean the drummer in one of my bands doesn't drink at all, doesn't eat a lot and when he does it's basically Atkins yet he's still 16 stone or more
    I think you should be a bit more serious about this guv. You're putting yourself at risk by just willy-nilly downing every pint and burger you come across. Get some fruit and veg inside ya! Being slim does not mean you're healthy. You could have shit tons of visceral fat around your liver and heart, which is a sure fire way to put yourself in an early grave.

Then what bands are you going to be recording? NONE I TELL YA! YOU'LL BE RECORDING WORMS LIKE BRIAN ENO DID IN THE 80'S !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    There's approx 3 pints worth of alcohol in a bottle of wine but 1/3 of the calories. so you could start by drinking wine instead of beer. after a short while you will get fed up with drinking so much wine (and you might have lost some of your taste for beer) so, so long as you don't start drinking gin, you could just cut down on the wine, and ease yourself off the alcohol: make a bottle last 2 days instead of 1.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Or drink jizz. That'll ruin your taste for liquids fairly soon. Or maybe you'll love it, and discover that you don't mind being a fatty as long as you've got a manpipe to smoke upon.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    edited July 2014
    Having met many alcohol dependant people over the years ( the term alcoholic doesn't really have a specific meaning) very few of them have been fat. I've never fully understood why but people who are dependant on alcohol (physical/ psychological dependence) will put alcohol ahead of food and tend to have a poor diet, often have health problems and sweat like buggery. Edit: on a personal note my brother died in his mid 50's last year as a result of the damage done by heavy drinking. Although he stopped drinking alcohol years ago the damage was done and he had a long period of ill health before passing away.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    edited July 2014
    Danny1969 said:
    Much of the science disproves this though.
    You don't spend 24 hours a day with your friend.

If he is doing Atkins then he can simply be overeating on it- that is possible.
    Or he does Atkins some of the time and knocks himself out of Ketosis when he is alone.
    This is very common and describes quite a few Atkins failures.

A lot of people present differently in public.
    I know a bunch of fat, teetotal vegetarians- they eat too much cheese, too many chips and they spend their leisure time on the sofa.

In most cases it is simply lifestyle.

Some people who don't carry a lot of fat on their body can still be carrying a lot of fat around their organs.
    In fitness circles it is known as 'skinny fat'.
    Some doctors take issue with the name but it essentially describes folk who don't put on weight around their middle but rather around their organs- especially the liver, heart, kidneys.

Having met many alcohol dependant people over the years ( the term alcoholic doesn't really have a specific meaning) very few of them have been fat. I've never fully understood why but people who are dependant on alcohol (physical/ psychological dependence) will put alcohol ahead of food and tend to have a poor diet, often have health problems and sweat like buggery. Edit: on a personal note my brother died in his mid 50's last year as a result of the damage done by heavy drinking. Although he stopped drinking alcohol years ago the damage was done and he had a long period of ill health before passing away.

I think I lost track of the point I was trying to make there! :o3
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15556

have any of you heavy drinkers tried swapping the booze for hard drugs? Crack is virtually calorie free.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040

Haha!  Was it this:  people who are highly dependent upon alcohol are often thin.  They have no need to lose weight because they are ill; like someone with cachexia in some ways.

But many more people are somewhat dependent upon alcohol.  And "somewhat" is a long and large continuum.  There will be many overweight people here.  (Just as there are many overweight people who don't drink alcohol.)

For the overweight people who are somewhat dependent upon alcohol there is an initial problem:  alcohol is loaded with calories, and alcohol inhibits rational judgement.  So rationally, eating the big pizza curry is dumb and not part of a calorie controlled diet; but drunkenly, it's the obvious choice for a late night snack.

And for these people, eliminating the alcohol is problematic because they are indeed, somewhat dependent upon it. 

I.e.  rational arguments to stop drinking alcohol for weight loss are never really, truly, "this could be me", considered because the little bit of unacknowledged alcohol dependency nukes you at the subconscious level, before the rational augments take hold. 

Addiction robs you of will.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I was sat on the bus yesterday next to an old alcoholic smoker. I don't know how he was still alive. But he stank and I gagged a couple of times when he coughed.
    My V key is broken
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    holnrew said:
    It should also be a factor in my desire to lose weight, but I just want the pussy tbh.
    surely that is motivation enough...
    there is nothing quite as motivating as minge.. or being killed... or being killed by minge..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I used to drink a lot (Rugby players generally have a reputation for beer for a reason), however since getting Crohn's I drink very little. At most I'll have 4 or 5 pints of an evening out*, rather than 10** or more. Also I don't drink at home, and only (at most) allow myself to drink 1 day a week.

Having a consultant tell you to look after your body better does have quite a drastic effect. Specifically quit smoking, but reduce alcohol consumption too.

*rarely these days, no more than 4 or 5 times a year.

** in the rugby playing days every Saturday, without fail....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Grunfeld said:

Haha!  Was it this:  people who are highly dependent upon alcohol are often thin.  They have no need to lose weight because they are ill; like someone with cachexia in some ways.

But many more people are somewhat dependent upon alcohol.  And "somewhat" is a long and large continuum.  There will be many overweight people here.  (Just as there are many overweight people who don't drink alcohol.)

For the overweight people who are somewhat dependent upon alcohol there is an initial problem:  alcohol is loaded with calories, and alcohol inhibits rational judgement.  So rationally, eating the big pizza curry is dumb and not part of a calorie controlled diet; but drunkenly, it's the obvious choice for a late night snack.

And for these people, eliminating the alcohol is problematic because they are indeed, somewhat dependent upon it. 

I.e.  rational arguments to stop drinking alcohol for weight loss are never really, truly, "this could be me", considered because the little bit of unacknowledged alcohol dependency nukes you at the subconscious level, before the rational augments take hold. 

Addiction robs you of will.

close enough! :)
    mike_l said:

I used to drink a lot (Rugby players generally have a reputation for beer for a reason), however since getting Crohn's I drink very little. At most I'll have 4 or 5 pints of an evening out*, rather than 10** or more. Also I don't drink at home, and only (at most) allow myself to drink 1 day a week.

Having a consultant tell you to look after your body better does have quite a drastic effect. Specifically quit smoking, but reduce alcohol consumption too.

*rarely these days, no more than 4 or 5 times a year.

** in the rugby playing days every Saturday, without fail....

I'm fairly sure that the Emp will have had a consultant tell him to change his diet. And yet his tea was deep fried food washed down with pints of beer. Is he in denial? Stupid? Depressed? Or do we lose all sympathy with him because he says he wants to lose weight and does entirely the wrong things?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited July 2014
    EricTheWeary said:
    I'm fairly sure that the Emp will have had a consultant tell him to change his diet... do we lose all sympathy with him because he says he wants to lose weight and does entirely the wrong things?
    Nope.  The title of the thread says, "...help!"  I'm inclined to take that at face value.

Despite all the bravado, and the "self-destruct", I still see the word, "help".

It's like, "I want to do this... I have to do this... and I even know what it would look like for someone else if they had to do it... but I have no idea how I get my head around this and how it could be me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Grunfeld said:
    EricTheWeary said:
    I'm fairly sure that the Emp will have had a consultant tell him to change his diet... do we lose all sympathy with him because he says he wants to lose weight and does entirely the wrong things?
    Nope.  The title of the thread says, "...help!"  I'm inclined to take that at face value.

Despite all the bravado, and the "self-destruct", I still see the word, "help".

It's like, "I want to do this... I have to do this... and I even know what it would look like for someone else if they had to do it... but I have no idea how I get my head around this and how it could be me."

I was playing devil's avocado rather than saying I had lost all sympathy. I think you are right - starting this Discussion means something, it's just harder to understand why he seems to want to sabotage himself.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
       Or do we lose all sympathy with him because he says he wants to lose weight and does entirely the wrong things?
    There's a world of difference between saying "I want to lose weight" and "I'm going to lose weight".

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    edited July 2014
    I'm fairly sure that the Emp will have had a consultant tell him to change his diet. And yet his tea was deep fried food washed down with pints of beer. Is he in denial? Stupid? Depressed? Or do we lose all sympathy with him because he says he wants to lose weight and does entirely the wrong things?
    This was kinda where I was going with my earlier post.

Truthfully, you have to let people come to their own realisations.
    I've had to do this with a family member who wants to achieve a weight loss goal but doesn't want to do any of the work.
    She is in complete denial.
    The way I deal with it is to stay on message- not make allowances for poor behaviour but accept that ultimately the only person it affects directly is that person.
    You have to allow people to fail because you cannot make them succeed if they don't put in the work.

I don't know Emp personally and I am simply not qualified to make an accurate assessment of his state of mind.