Andertons PRS Interview

What's Hot

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    My OP wasn't meant as a dig at his success or anything to do with a reaction to his company. It was a comment about the man.

I do not like people with chippy shoulders - typically they are bitter, defeatist individuals and probably voted to leave.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28663
    rico said:
    It's all about him him him 
    To be fair, it is an interview and he's the one being interviewed.

It's meant to be about him.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SonicScytheSonicScythe Frets: 59
    edited June 2017
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27206
    Sporky said:
    rico said:
    It's all about him him him 
    To be fair, it is an interview and he's the one being interviewed.

It's meant to be about him.
    This is the thing I'm not understanding here. You may not like the guy, but he's there to record an interview about him and his guitars. What else do people expect? 

I'd far rather listen to PRS than HenryJ...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree, with all of the above, he comes across as a bit of a prick.

However, I can't help but agree with him that PRS's are made to be precision instruments and are clinical at what they do, I bloody love my Custom 24 and it's just perfect in every way. So, I feel that he's somewhat justified in his arrogance, especially towards his own instruments - he even "bought" one of his own guitars, which is weird.

However, I'll also agree with the common consensus that there's more character to a Les Paul and a Strat, there's no getting away from that.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    I was outraged by this interview because there just wasn't enough about Lee Anderton. He's a man I never tire of because he's been extremely successful in turning his father's guitar shop into the biggest musical retail outlet in the world.
    I just want to hear about Lee Anderton no matter who's being interviewed.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    Sassafras said:
    I was outraged by this interview because there just wasn't enough about Lee Anderton. He's a man I never tire of because he's been extremely successful in turning his father's guitar shop into the biggest musical retail outlet in the world.
    I've never met Lee - but I think he comes across well. The circumstances he was born into are no more within his control, than they would have been had he been born into abject poverty.

And not everyone in business carries on their forebear's success....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Sounds like it's a must watch clip. I'll set some time aside to watch it and then to write a strongly worded letter of complaint.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4K1ut3j-W4A/maxresdefault.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    Sassafras said:
    I've never met Lee - but I think he comes across well. The circumstances he was born into are no more within his control, than they would have been had he been born into abject poverty.

And not everyone in business carries on their forebear's success....
    Apparently according to his Facebook he is in the shop most week days, I'm sure if he isn't around you could ask for a chat.

Lee comes across very well in his videos and his growing of the business with the YouTube channel, investment in Rob Chapman and Chapman guitars and his development of his staff like Matt, Rabea and Pete shows a bit of business genius.  Even with (apparently) Brexit hitting Chapman Guitars like a sack of Les Pauls, that stands.

I got the impression from the video that PRS is the typical millionaire businessman, polite and professional but with the hubris one gets from making millions out of his efforts.  He thinks he is a bit better than most people, because in the ways that matter to him he probably is. 

Lee Anderton, also a multi-millionaire, comes across as nicer and more personable but watch a lot of Andertons videos and you will see that he is treated with a lot of respect and deference by the others, especially those behind the camera.  Lee is the boss, no question.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • I got the impression from the video that PRS is the typical millionaire businessman, polite...
    Which video did you watch?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    I got the impression from the video that PRS is the typical millionaire businessman, polite...
    Which video did you watch?
    Well he isn't actively rude, just a bit arrogant, he doesn't want to appear the junior in the room because he has a big fat ego.

By the standards of millionaires i've known, he doesn't seem too bad!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    The never ending pursuit of money, until you're 6 feet under.
  • absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
    edited April 2017
    TBF, I'd say that its mostly down to the relationship he has with the Captain...they greet each other like old friends and obviously have a satisfying working relationship thats borne much fruit for both.  I think because of that PRS is responding to the interview a bit like you would a chat at the pub, or during a rehearsal - I dare say it would be different if he was being interviewed by someone he didnt know and for the first time. I also remember watching a video (think it was the one with Lee on ThatPedalShow) where he basically said they were wanting the guests to feel as relaxed as possible, so I dont think he sees it as any big deal.

I agree with some of the comments that PRS can be a tad insufferable when it comes to the blatant self promotion....but as others have said, its this approach that's contributed to the success he has enjoyed and therefore why would he change it.

I've seen a few vids with PRS now at Andertons and he's like this in all of them, but I dont think he comes across as a bad guy....perhaps a bit arrogant and a wee bit rude, but then again i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because life's too short to get bent outta shape about such things.  I certainly know that if I have an 'off' day i'm not the best to be around...but it doesnt mean like i'm like that all the time.  PRS just mostly seems a bit overexcited, maybe slightly immature for a man his age and certainly a fairly brash salesman but to each their own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5450
    edited April 2017
    Funny how valuable Lee is to PRS considering Andertons had dropped Core PRSi for years. They were an SE dealer only for the longest time. Do they really do that much volume compared to anyone else or it just the exposure/YouTubing that they're into?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Whitecat said:
    Funny how valuable Lee is to PRS considering Andertons had dropped Core PRSi for years. They were an SE dealer only for the longest time. Do they really do that much volume compared to anyone else or it just the exposure/YouTubing that they're into?
    Very valuable is probably the answer. At the end of the vid Lee states that he's ordered 60 of the limited edition S2's (with the old wood). 60! One shop! I think that goes to show that Andertons business is very far reaching these days.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7814
    I would guess that anderton's videos have given the store a global reach. All my students here in zürich watch them. Plus getting TPS on side was a good move.

He has a good range of videos now to hit most tastes. He's also very careful not to bad mouth any other stores..

I used to buy a lot of my gear there until the exchange rate borked.
  • GadgieGadgie Frets: 96
    I don't think it's bad at all.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
     I think some of you are being very judgemental. If you'd pretty much transformed an industry & art form to the extent that he has. I dunno, maybe you'd not come across well being interviewed either.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    jeztone2 said:
     I think some of you are being very judgemental. If you'd pretty much transformed an industry & art form to the extent that he has. I dunno, maybe you'd not come across well being interviewed either.

Well said. 
  • GadgieGadgie Frets: 96
    jeztone2 said:

Are you not indicating by your post that he came across poorly....therefore also being judgemental? Could be that he doesn't have the British talent for coming across in an understated manner. I think we in the UK find it hard to 'blow our own trumpet' at times and therefore find people that are confident in themselves or their product very forward, and dare I say it.....rude!

To be honest I think it just looked like two mate having a talk and a bit of banter. As I said I didn't think it was bad at all.