Andertons PRS Interview

What's Hot

Comments

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I used to think he was a very inspirational guy. I loved the passion and dedication to his art. While that is still true and I am a fan of his guitars, I am starting to find him a bit arrogant and annoying now. Also if you listen closely, he often repeats the same thing again and again in all his interviews. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Jack_ said:
    I watch most of these, they're often the best thing Andertons put out, but I couldn't bear this one, got turned off very quickly. The new Paul Gilbert one however was a joy, two people at opposite ends of the like-ability scale.
    I didn't make it through the PRS one, a not very likeable man talking about something I'm not that interested in. The Gilbert one, however, is excellent -  from shredding to Neil Sedaka. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26737
    Jack_ said:
    I watch most of these, they're often the best thing Andertons put out, but I couldn't bear this one, got turned off very quickly. The new Paul Gilbert one however was a joy, two people at opposite ends of the like-ability scale.
    I didn't make it through the PRS one, a not very likeable man talking about something I'm not that interested in. The Gilbert one, however, is excellent -  from shredding to Neil Sedaka. 
    The thing I love about all PG interviews is that he comes across as a big kid - he's just so damn excited about it all, and isn't the slightest bit self-conscious; he's so earnest that all the cliches (eg guitar-face) don't come across as cliches at all.

Here's the thing, though - PG was playing all through the interview too. Unlike PRS, though, he was using the guitar as part of his speech rather than being ignorant and crapping all over the interviewer. Putting the two videos one after the other has very much become a "wrong way/right way" demonstration.
    <space for hire>
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Yeah saw that the other day, PRS comes across as a complete idiot to be honest. He's clearly successful so credit to him but someone's who's lost their self-awareness IMO. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    I watched it for enjoyment and I got that so I'm not really bothered about the rest to be fair. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    I'm selling my PRS now I know what a monster he truly is.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2090
    Weird...I met PRS at PMT Bham a few weeks back, he did a 45min talk and whilst I agree he comes across bit odd on the videos, I actually found him quite likeable in the flesh as it were, he engaged with everyone in the room, didnt shy away from questions, I mean the guy has travelled a long way to sell guitars !...so he's gonna be  bit pushy I guess.
    Things aint always what they seem on youtube...  

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27196
    I have no problem with him at all. I don't really like PRS guitars much but I really appreciate that he is still that passionate about making great instruments.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    It's all about him him him which I do not find endearing at all.

Hey look how good this guitar is hey look how unique it sounds hey look how good this bass pickup is hey look how matey I am with John Mayer. 

Dick. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6913
    spark240 said:
    Weird...I met PRS at PMT Bham a few weeks back, he did a 45min talk and whilst I agree he comes across bit odd on the videos, I actually found him quite likeable in the flesh as it were, he engaged with everyone in the room, didnt shy away from questions, I mean the guy has travelled a long way to sell guitars !...so he's gonna be  bit pushy I guess.
    Things aint always what they seem on youtube...  
    He did an "Evening with..." at Andertons recently, which is on youtube as well, and he was a bit of a cock in that one as well. Though talking about guitars to an audience of 250 people must be tricky.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2090
    rico said:

Hey look how good this guitar is hey look how unique it sounds hey look how good this bass pickup is hey look how matey I am with John Mayer. 

Dick. 
    Yeah...but he is there to sell HIS guitars !....and if I was pals with Mayer / Santana  then I might just mention it a few times myself...I have a PRS and it is a great guitar, I cant knock it...but I also have an EBMM which is also great in a different way.

Is it just a Brit thing or dont we like other peoples success ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    edited April 2017 tFB Trader
    spark240 said:
    rico said:

Dick. 
    Yeah...but he is there to sell HIS guitars !....and if I was pals with Mayer / Santana  then I might just mention it a few times myself...I have a PRS and it is a great guitar, I cant knock it...but I also have an EBMM which is also great in a different way.

Is it just a Brit thing or dont we like other peoples success ?
    Some people seem to have a problem with it yes, Nail & Head @spark240 ;;

I wonder how the President and Chief Designer/Luthier of Fender/Gibson would come across on a recorded guitar playing interview for 45 minutes, talking about and playing their products? Oh, that's right they're not the same person and they wouldn't do it !

PS. Neither would I, i'm not comfortable in that arena.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    Probably not one of his best but he likes to hustle which never plays well with us brits. In a market dominated by the big two he still likes to play the scrappy upstart.

i also think he is probably too comfortable in the relationship with Anderton so he ramps it up. 

As for working for him I imagine if you work hard are as passionate as he is you would soon rise up off the sanding belts.

also these days his role is more and more about the PR.

in the end like or hate his guitars the man is passionate and that's no bad thing in an industry dominated by corporate suits. I also think at this point he is writing his legacy, could be done in the next 5 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    Paul is fine by me, he's got character. If he didn't there would be no PRS and the whole guitar market would be very different place especially in terms of quality. You can't knock him for being hands on either, not like  guys like Tom Montgomery from the Fender Custom Shop who never gives interviews let alone meet the customers, that guy doesn't really exist it seems. The only thing Paul is guilty of is poor dress sense. But yes, its a British thing.....we hate success. I read the OP and thought that maybe we need a new forum sub section called 'The Shoulder Chip'  :)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26737
    Strat54 said:
    Paul is fine by me, he's got character. If he didn't there would be no PRS and the whole guitar market would be very different place especially in terms of quality. You can't knock him for being hands on either, not like  guys like Tom Montgomery from the Fender Custom Shop who never gives interviews let alone meet the customers, that guy doesn't really exist it seems. The only thing Paul is guilty of is poor dress sense. But yes, its a British thing.....we hate success. I read the OP and thought that maybe we need a new forum sub section called 'The Shoulder Chip'  :)
    I don't think anybody's saying he hasn't done a good job with the guitars and his company, just that his ego and lack of common decency makes him objectionable as a person.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7814
    Strat54 said:
    No. You miss the point completely and that's just a lazy cliche.

He's being borderline rude, certainly discourteous throughout the interview. He does not come across at all well. His success has nothing to do with it what so ever. 

I actually think it more that he's probably bored and doesn't get much time with a guitar in his hands and so does what many, many other players do. Just it's unfortunately on video. He might be a lovely guy (and I suspect he actually is), but this video does not reflect well on him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12940
    Strat54 said:
     But yes, its a British thing.....we hate success. I read the OP and thought that maybe we need a new forum sub section called 'The Shoulder Chip'  :)

And yet look through the rest of the forum and you'll find lots of hero worship of successful people. Or, feeling lazy, look at the previous page of the thread where people are saying how nice the (very successful) Paul Gilbert is.

It is perfectly acceptable not to like someone. Its a very weird form of forelock-tugging that suggests the only reason someone doesn't like PRS (or John Mayer, he's another one that gets the "you're just jealous" defence) is just because he's successful.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Strat54 said:
    I don't think anybody's saying he hasn't done a good job with the guitars and his company, just that his ego and lack of common decency makes him objectionable as a person.
    I'm perfectly happy with his success, I think it's been a good thing for the guitar industry and guitarists in general. He just seems to come across as a bit of a dick. It's that simple. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    edited April 2017
    I've met him a few times - he has a somewhat 'larger than life' personality - but one-on-one is surprisingly charming. Yes, he's a self-publicist - or more accurately his company's publicist - but I admire that a guy over 60 can be bothered to talk to 250 potential customers of a store in Britain.

He has had a significant influence on the guitar industry. He made quality right at the heart of his product - 'proper' guitar-making - instruments which are stable, play (and stay) in tune, highly refined neck shapes, etc. Other makers have followed his lead.

Would I want to work for him?

I think the answer is 'yes' - but I doubt anyone who has 'off' days, or a lack of passion/commitment would last long with him. But that is probably true of most driven, entrepreneurial people....
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I don't get the whole British people don't like success thing at all. People don't like some folk, it's a fact of life. There are many reasons why that can be and one man's hero is another man's dick. Success or not has nothing to do with it.

PRS does seem like a real character and he's brash and outspoken. Some people love that, but it can also rub people up the wrong way, it's nothing to do with success or not.