The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    edited June 2017
    And this is the problem the Torys have sometimes they have great ideas but they have no idea how to communicate them it always sound like they are taking something away, never explaining the benefits.
    I think the dementia tax "benefits" are well explained here. It seems to suggest that the 100k you think would be protected would in fact be used to pay the insurance premiums, mandatory if you want to use this deferred equity release scheme, once the government have taken what they are owed.

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2017/05/19/now-it-makes-sense-dementia-tax-is-an-insurance-scam/
    A story sourced from a Facebook post where the *actual* source is claimed to be an unnamed friend in the city. Well, it must be true then, mustn't it?

This is the very definition of fake news.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    And this is the problem the Torys have sometimes they have great ideas but they have no idea how to communicate them it always sound like they are taking something away, never explaining the benefits.
    I think the dementia tax "benefits" are well explained here. It seems to suggest that the 100k you think would be protected would in fact be used to pay the insurance premiums, mandatory if you want to use this deferred equity release scheme, once the government have taken what they are owed.

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2017/05/19/now-it-makes-sense-dementia-tax-is-an-insurance-scam/
    Sourced from a Facebook post where the *actual* source is claimed to be an unnamed friend in the city. Well, it must be true then, mustn't it?

Not necessarily true, but without any details in the manifesto it does sound reasonable that you will need some way of guaranteeing that you would have enough equity in your house to pay what you owe. If you don't, the insurance will make up the shortfall in order to guarantee that your estate will be left with with 100k, which will then effectively be 100k minus the premiums you've been paying.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22152
    A story sourced from a Facebook post where the *actual* source is claimed to be an unnamed friend in the city. Well, it must be true then, mustn't it?

Not so long back, large swathes of the British population were making pig gags about a Prime Minister based on a book containing no evidence and no named witnesses. Extracts from that book were published in the Daily Mail. Fake news is all around...

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423

Not so long back, large swathes of the British population were making pig gags about a Prime Minister based on a book containing no evidence and no named witnesses. Extracts from that book were published in the Daily Mail. Fake news is all around...

Yes it is, alas, and there is apparently no shortage of people willing to fall for it, especially when it aligns with their own particular beliefs. Which is, of course, the whole point of it.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Yeah but he so did it.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    rlw said:
    Fretwired said:
    octatonic said:
    Actually, Jesus would have taken from the filthy rich, selfish pensioners and redistributed their wealth to the poor pensioners and struggling under 30s. I'm sick to death of listening to them on the radio complaining that they may have to contribute to their frail care. National Insurance only paid for their Triple Lock Pensions.

They actually had it easy - free education, plenty of well paid jobs, no shortage of housing to rent or buy. Those with homes saw the value rise while they sat on their fat arses on the Costa-del-Sol. Those under 30 have had the ladder pulled up by these greedy bastards so that they're worse off.

May's Dementia Tax was right ... Corbyn will get them though ... :-)

oi!  I've never sat on my arse on the Costa del Sol or anywhere else.  I've worked hard since 1969 and been through all the ups and downs too.    When I finally retire, at 67 I reckon, we will have to sell the house to raise funds to live on as my pensions which would once have provided about £20k annually will now make about £6K.

If either of us need care, we will be happy to fund it out of the sale of the house after death as will, I expect, the vast majority of reasonable minded people.  Although, I suspect, most of will want to see it used properly rather than just pissed up the wall which is what all governments do.

Please don't tar all of us oldies with the same brush.
    Reel your neck in .. there was an element of sarcasm, but there is an important point about the young today being less well off than their parents and grandparents. Something needs to be done. Scrapping uni fees would be a start.

And I'm due to retire soon and I own my own home and am happy to fund my own frail care, although if dementia cuts in I'll just sit in the garden and drink beer all day .. come to think of it that's not a bad idea come what may .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!

Sourced from a Facebook post where the *actual* source is claimed to be an unnamed friend in the city. Well, it must be true then, mustn't it?

Not necessarily true, but without any details in the manifesto it does sound reasonable that you will need some way of guaranteeing that you would have enough equity in your house to pay what you owe. If you don't, the insurance will make up the shortfall in order to guarantee that your estate will be left with with 100k, which will then effectively be 100k minus the premiums you've been paying.
    That site is full of fake news but in order for it to be believed there needs to be a grain of truth. And this has nothing to do with Dementia Tax.

At the moment you can't take out an insurance policy to cover your frail care as the costs are open ended. The team looking at how to fund this has suggested that a cap of around £250K should be put on care costs. This would allow people to take out an insurance policy while they were young to cover the costs. A policy would be cheap if started when young. What's wrong with that as a concept?

paulads said:
    I've worked in the NHS 25 years now and I'm genuinely frightened for its future under the Conservatives...not just because of this 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/naylor-plan-outline-sell-nhs-10544577

is it fake news? How can I tell?
    Read it. It has some good ideas including low cost housing for NHS staff. Governments have underfunded the NHS capital programme for years and many trusts are hamstrung with high PFI costs while buildings crumble.

paulads said:
    I think the single biggest and most important thing that has influenced this election has been the utterly woeful performance of the Prime Minister.
    I think the biggest thing is the lack of policies from the Tories - their manifesto is piss poor. I'm not a fan or May or Corbyn, but Labour has more policies I agree with that make sense, so that's where my vote will go. May is not up to the job of campaigning and has been let down by her advisers. Corbyn has got some decent policies, always has a smile on his face and doesn't insult Theresa May. All she offers is scaremongering and personal insults - you'd have thought she'd have learned from David Cameron's failed EU referendum campaign.

She's toast whatever happens. The Tories will quietly dump her.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Fretwired said:

That site is full of fake news but in order for it to be believed there needs to be a grain of truth. And this has nothing to do with Dementia Tax.

At the moment you can't take out an insurance policy to cover your frail care as the costs are open ended. The team looking at how to fund this has suggested that a cap of around £250K should be put on care costs. This would allow people to take out an insurance policy while they were young to cover the costs. A policy would be cheap if started when young. What's wrong with that as a concept?
    Nothing wrong with that at all as a concept, as then people get to keep ALL the equity in their homes. This is a completely workable alternative to the deferred equity release option. The Tories, as far as I can make out, are suggesting something different - put your 150k house up as collateral and we'll only take 50k, end of story.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.

Nothing wrong with that at all as a concept, as then people get to keep ALL the equity in their homes. This is a completely workable alternative to the deferred equity release option. The Tories, as far as I can make out, are suggesting something different - put your 150k house up as collateral and we'll only take 50k, end of story.
    May U-turned and said there would be a cap as per the original report - not in the Tory manifesto though. She said there would be a 'consultation' which is code for kicking it into the long grass.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    Fretwired said:

average house price is 220k.      
    thomasw88 said:

average house price is 220k.      
    Which means you'd pay a maximum of £120K and could pass £100K on to your children.

• pauladspaulads Frets: 495
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24320

What a coward she is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5151
    Metaphorically speaking, the Tory election campaign must have started out with a whole shitload of wheels, considering how many have come off.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

What a coward she is.

Note to Owen Jones - she's appearing in public tonight live on BBC One with Jeremy Corbyn. Both May and Corbyn are preparing for tonight's debate. I guess she thinks she can't cock up again on live TV.

Metaphorically speaking, the Tory election campaign must have started out with a whole shitload of wheels, considering how many have come off.
    Pretty sure May has no wheels on her wagon right now ....

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    If Corbyn shouldn't have to answer questions about supposed terrorist sympathies, why should May subject herself to the baying hounds?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom