The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    paulads said:
    There might even be a last minute CPS 2015 Tory election fraud shitstorm...who knows...
    Unlikely .. Labour and the Lib Dems have been caught doing the same thing in the past .. slap on the wrist and a fine.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28268
    Fretwired said:
    Sporky said:
    I have no idea who to vote for. It's such a gaggle of shits this time - worse than I can ever remember.
    Looks like May will do well - however I hope enough people vote Labour to ensure she doesn't get a silly three digit majority. So if Labour is likely to win where you live vote for them.
    Nope; Tory or Lib Dem here, most likely.

The Lib Dem candidate is a complete dickwad. Lives on the same street as us, blanks us every time we pass. Never even replies to a "hello", scowls at Sprocket. Damned if she's getting my vote, but our Tory MP voted for Brexit in the commons when her constituents voted overwhelmingly to remain, so she clearly can't be trusted to represent the seat.

There should be a "none of the above, throw them all in a pit with tigers" option.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    Corbyn makes me laugh, berating "tax cheats"
    Most tax cheats are working-class people not declaring their takings: taxi drivers (I know one who pays £8 a year tax, his wife does ironing and does not declare it, they own a 4 bed detached house in a nice Cheshire town). plumbers, builders, you name it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Most tax cheats are working-class people not declaring their takings: taxi drivers (I know one who pays £8 a year tax, his wife does ironing and does not declare it, they own a 4 bed detached house in a nice Cheshire town). plumbers, builders, you name it

Yeah, it's plumbers causing recession, the dismantling of the NHS, rising bigotry and nationalism, falling wages and food banks. You get my vote in The Stupidest Comment in Thread election. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Samgb said:

Yeah, it's plumbers causing recession, the dismantling of the NHS, rising bigotry and nationalism, falling wages and food banks. You get my vote in The Stupidest Comment in Thread election. 
    The food bank argument is propaganda of the worst sort. Any basic drill down into the statistics shows about 0.03 percent of the population use them at any given time. What difference is their between private and public charity, except one is entirely voluntary and the other is coerced? The only recorded and real examples of "rising bigotry" is the anti semitisim so beloved of Corbynites and UKIP just collapsed in the last election and the SNP lost ground. In short, nothing you said at all bares up to even basic analysis. Propaganda and shite stright from the pages of the Canary. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Samgb said:

what a feeble insult, you need to attempt to do some basic maths
    how much tax and tax credits do you think are lost to this kind of fraud? 
    or are people doing less prestigious jobs able to be tax cheats without adverse comment?

So a plumber taking £65k cash in hand in 2015, in the top 6% of earners, declaring £20k and getting tax credits, is a hero?

People whining about all the knee jerk stuff you've regurgitated (since they are clearly not your own ideas) need to take a look around them at how incredibly privileged anyone living in the UK really is, and stop complaining about how much icing on the cake there is at present

Let's test your assertions:
    • Recession? we're not in a recession, what are you talking about?
    • Dismantling the NHS? Dogma. Free health care is the holy cow, not the NHS. 
    • Rising Bigotry and nationalism? Where's your proof? There's definitely less bigotry that there used to be, although nationalism has increased in Scotland
    • Falling wages? No, they've gone up: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/wage-growth
    • Food banks - a new form of charity, but what does it prove? is anyone poorer than they used to be?

Do you read the Canary, by any chance?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    ah, I see Mags beat me to it
    For Canary readers, here we are: benefit fraud vs tax evasion:

http://www.theweek.co.uk/62461/benefit-fraud-v-tax-evasion-which-costs-more

Benefit overpayments:
    the NAO said £4.6bn had been overpaid to claimants in the 2013/2014 tax year

deliberate and illegal evasion .... was deemed to account for £4.4bn of the lost duties

so clearly more money is lost on benefits than to tax evasion
    I return to my point about plumbers

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/feb/10/uk-plumbers-builders-engineers-skill-crisis-economy

James Parkinson ... After leaving school at 16, He has just completed a three-year apprenticeship with Pimlico Plumbers and has been out on his own for the past six months. Parkinson reckons he earns between £1,200 and £1,800 a week, “which is crazy for a 21-year-old,” he says. “You could earn more than that if you really wanted to.”

Now, I have this gut feeling that there are probably 100 times as many plumbers as Bankers on £1m a year

Therefore taxing plumbers properly would actually capture more revenue for the government to spend on us all than chasing "the few"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I do think this "for the many, not the few" rhetoric will be very ironic,

Given the massively larger number of people preparing to vote conservative, it would be more apt if May were using it as her slogan
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Remember kids that on June the 9th if you have voted for Jeremy Corbyn you will be able to claim back your wealth.

What the fuck does that mean is this a Diane Abbott number crunching excercise?

What wealth does he believe people can claim back and can I make my claim asap Andy get a breakdown of how much I can claim if I vote for weird beard.
    Too right all these highly skilled people who only earn £40000 a year..... Tax cheats 
    have I missed any other good Labour soundbites today? Will they be introducing a mansion tax on anyone living in a house worth more than £500000 and a super palace tax on homes over £1000000 ?  Corbyn is such a fucktard.
    I've noticed Corbyn's rhetoric has taken on a quite unpleasant class warfare tone recently
    Is he aware that some better off folks have been voting labour, and some less well off people vote tory?
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Samgb said:

• Rising Bigotry and nationalism? Where's your proof? There's definitely less bigotry that there used to be, although nationalism has increased in Scotland
    yeah TC, British nationalism - it's being deliberately stoked - divide an conquer. I have said from the outset of the rise for independence that THEY (British State) would be prepared to  'send the troopes in'. It has been said *by Torys) that the SNP were a threat to the British state and that they were like 'terrorists'. Expect the worst from the remnants of 'The Empire'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Evilmags said:
    Samgb said:

The food bank argument is propaganda of the worst sort. Any basic drill down into the statistics shows about 0.03 percent of the population use them at any given time. What difference is their between private and public charity, except one is entirely voluntary and the other is coerced? 
    Just to address the food banks thing.  Yes, the number of food banks themselves have gone up, but to paint that as the reason for the increase in food bank use is pretty rank.  The numbers clearly point to a fairly sharp rise in food bank use around about 2012-13, which coincided with changes to JSA and benefit regimes, i.e. the increased use of "sanctioning".  There is a strong correlation between delays in benefit payments (a large proportion down to imposition of conditions/sanctions) and increased food bank usage.  This isn't propaganda.  Here's a link to the paper, published by researchers at the University of Oxford using Trussell Trust and Local Authority data.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    I have no idea who to vote for. It's such a gaggle of shits this time - worse than I can ever remember.

Indeed. A sad state of affairs - one party wants to legalise fox hunting (what fucking good does that do?) and has no idea how to negotiate through anything (a kinda big deal, what with brexit) and the other has Diane Abbott. 

Blarg 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    capo4th said:
    have I missed any other good Labour soundbites today? Will they be introducing a mansion tax on anyone living in a house worth more than £500000 and a super palace tax on homes over £1000000 ?  Corbyn is such a fucktard.
    cos 500k constitutes a mansion… lmao..

play every note as if it were your first
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Corbyn? More like Cumbin!
    Evilmags said:
    Samgb said:

The food bank argument is propaganda of the worst sort. Any basic drill down into the statistics shows about 0.03 percent of the population use them at any given time. What difference is their between private and public charity, except one is entirely voluntary and the other is coerced? 
    Just to address the food banks thing.  Yes, the number of food banks themselves have gone up, but to paint that as the reason for the increase in food bank use is pretty rank.  The numbers clearly point to a fairly sharp rise in food bank use around about 2012-13, which coincided with changes to JSA and benefit regimes, i.e. the increased use of "sanctioning".  There is a strong correlation between delays in benefit payments (a large proportion down to imposition of conditions/sanctions) and increased food bank usage.  This isn't propaganda.  Here's a link to the paper, published by researchers at the University of Oxford using Trussell Trust and Local Authority data.
    So, a paper from an Oxford academic, from research funded by the Trussell Trust says that it seems that people who lose benefits through sanctions are more likely to seek food from a food bank. I'd say this would be a predictable outcome

Is this relevant to "tax cheats" though?
    Sporky said:

Indeed. A sad state of affairs - one party wants to legalise fox hunting (what fucking good does that do?) and has no idea how to negotiate through anything (a kinda big deal, what with brexit) and the other has Diane Abbott. 

Blarg 
    not what the news says: it just says May supports hunting, and supports a free vote: far more subtle