The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Myranda said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Fretwired said:
    New Labour poster after council losses .. :-)

If this is a genuine Party-issued poster, then someone at Labour HQ needs a thorough and comprehensive punishment beating.

"Let's compare Jeremy to three literary and cinematic heroes who fought the good fight!"

...and who all DIED in the process!

Idiots...
    Psst .. Gandalf didn't ;)
    Gandalf the Grey did...

You sir, are correct.

P.S. I'm very glad to see there's a growing consensus on the one really IMPORTANT issue raised in this thread...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    If Jeremy Corbyn had a shave would he be more electable ? #beardproblem
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    capo4th said:
    If Jeremy Corbyn had a shave would he be more electable ? #beardproblem
    I'm not sure he has a chin, without a beard he'd be a bulbous forehead... 
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    That Labour poster is like the 'odd one out' round from HIGNFY.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Myranda said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Fretwired said:
    New Labour poster after council losses .. :-)

If this is a genuine Party-issued poster, then someone at Labour HQ needs a thorough and comprehensive punishment beating.

"Let's compare Jeremy to three literary and cinematic heroes who fought the good fight!"

...and who all DIED in the process!

Idiots...
    Psst .. Gandalf didn't ;)
    Gandalf the Grey did... then Gandalf the White was around for the end... he's like Doctor Who ;-)

<geeky pedant> That IS Gandalf the White ;) </geeky pedant>
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    So Diane Abbott and Jeremy Corbyn have obviously been browsing the fretboard and have now stated that they are going to raise tax on everyone earning over £80000 per year. 

However Diane has not done her sums yet so they will not say by how much and at what level. 

People are terrified they will now have to shop at Tesco rather than Sainsbury's.

Hows about collecting a little bit more tax from our friends at Amazon and google Diane eh? 

No chance Jeremy would rather clobber the so called rich in London.

what about all the builders who all earn £40000 a year and have great accountants?
    They should all be paying more and other self employed types. 

The Labour Party what a bunch of jokers lets collect the easy way via PAYE.
    Simple plans for simple people

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    There was a thing on the BBC news tonight where that Geordie woman was on about the state pension triple-lock rule, which was introduced in 2010 by Gideon, and which will expire in 2020.

They showed a graph which demonstrated how state pension had gone up by more than earnings since 2010.

They didn't show a graph that showed how the state pension had gone down compared to earnings over the 20 previous years, which was the reason the triple lock was introduced in the first place - to reverse the erosion of the state pension under Blair/Brown.

I don't know what will happen now - the incoming Chancellor may renege on the deal.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    Fretwired said:

Should have had Dumbledore on the poster ... just think of all those Potter fans who can now vote ... 
    Um... Top right.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:

Should have had Dumbledore on the poster ... just think of all those Potter fans who can now vote ... 
    Um... Top right.
    Ah ha .. you can see I'm not really a Harry Potter fan .... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    And in another Labour - "we don't want to win the general election moment" John McDonnell said there was “a lot to learn” from Karl Marx's Das Kapital.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15612
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

Um... Top right.
    Ah ha .. you can see I'm not really a Harry Potter fan .... ;-)

I assumed it was dumbledore as teh only other ficitonal white bearded male wizard was saruman, and I figure he was a baddy. So process of elimination

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    And in another Labour - "we don't want to win the general election moment" John McDonnell said there was “a lot to learn” from Karl Marx's Das Kapital.

"You can learn from anyone ...even if it's how not to do something..." - Jimi Hendrix
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    Fretwired said:

"You can learn from anyone ...even if it's how not to do something..." - Jimi Hendrix

"On the internet you can basically claim that anyone said anything" - Louis XIV 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27175
    Evilmags said:
    How the hell did Abbot get into Cambridge. I have never met an oxbridge graduate that incompetent. 
    I studied with plenty of them. Most of them now work for the Labour Party.

I wish i was joking...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Fretwired said:

"On the internet you can basically claim that anyone said anything" - Louis XIV 

=)  Yes.

However... It is actually a direct quote from him, from a documentary that was on TV a while ago.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Evilmags said:
    How the hell did Abbot get into Cambridge. I have never met an oxbridge graduate that incompetent. 

I wish i was joking...
    Maybe the city weeds them out better?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    edited May 2017
    capo4th said:

what about all the builders who all earn £40000 a year and have great accountants?

Yes but "Make the shyster corporations who trade in the uk pay a fair amount of tax for the privilege" doesn't play as well to the brothers & sisters as "Soak The Rich" !

And where "rich" is defined as anyone moderately successful on PAYE rather than indolent wastrels living off piles of unearned income.

EDIT: I think that this won't play well at all - these people already pay circa half the tax bill and have been squeezed heavily over the last 10+ years - none of them will vote for Labour - and it's the middle classes Labour needs to get seats (as Bliar understood).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27175
    Evilmags said:
    Evilmags said:

I wish i was joking...
    Maybe the city weeds them out better?
    Yes, though arguably it encourages plenty of equally arrogant, incompetent twats at the other end of the scale though
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    capo4th said:

Yes but "Make the shyster corporations who trade in the uk pay a fair amount of tax for the privilege" doesn't play as well to the brothers & sisters as "Soak The Rich" !

And where "rich" is defined as anyone moderately successful on PAYE rather than indolent wastrels living off piles of unearned income.

EDIT: I think that this won't play well at all - these people already pay circa half the tax bill and have been squeezed heavily over the last 10+ years - none of them will vote for Labour - and it's the middle classes Labour needs to get seats (as Bliar understood).
    According to the Labour Party anyone earning more than £8.50 an hour is successful and should be taxed accordingly.

In other Labour soundbite news donut Jeremy Corbyn has also announced he will abolish all hospital car park fees!!! 

Diane Abbott is currently working out the maths and who they can tax to cover it.
    Latest thinking appears to be anyone who wears a tie to work can afford to pay more and this will go down well with the Labour masses.
    Corbyn is going to debate live with May on BBC TV .... good luck with that one ..

And Emily Thornberry thinks people are voting for May as they like her haircut ...