The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Fretwired said:
    Corbyn is going to debate live with May on BBC TV .... good luck with that one ..

Actually, it's a QT-style "debate" where they face the same audience individually, and not head-to-head.  

Shame.  A genuine thunderdome where May gets her helmet knocked off by Corbyn a la Max-vs-Blaster would be the most entertaining piece of political journalism we're likely to get in the next four weeks.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited May 2017
    Fretwired said:
    Corbyn is going to debate live with May on BBC TV .... good luck with that one ..

Actually, it's a QT-style "debate" where they face the same audience individually, and not head-to-head.  

Shame.  A genuine thunderdome where May gets her helmet knocked off by Corbyn a la Max-vs-Blaster would be the most entertaining piece of political journalism we're likely to get in the next four weeks.
    It's still a head to head - the audience asks the questions and there are only the two of them.

Edit: it's now consecutively ... I was told there would have a head-to-head .. I wonder who changed their minds?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Fretwired said:

Even Game of Thrones wouldn't push that hard on political fantasy.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Fretwired said:

Now I want to see a remake of Beyond thunder done with Corbyn as Blaster and Diane Abbot as The Master fighting in the thunder dome to the death... 

Corbyn could rebel against the party line while abbot fails to realise that 10,000 policemen at £20k a year for 4 years adds up to more than either £300,000 or £80,000,000 while crazed postapocalyptic psychopaths carve parts of them off... All with an aging Tina Turner in chain mail chews the scenery

All along May would be dressed as Emperor Palpetine doing that trademark sneering snarling face sits wondering what her part in the movie is because star wars and mad max are different fictions in different galaxies, but still liking the spectacle of the poor fighting for her enjoyment 
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Evilmags said:
    Evilmags said:
    How the hell did Abbot get into Cambridge. I have never met an oxbridge graduate that incompetent. 
    I studied with plenty of them. Most of them now work for the Labour Party.

I wish i was joking...
    Maybe the city weeds them out better?
    Yes, though arguably it encourages plenty of equally arrogant, incompetent twats at the other end of the scale though
    Mags maybe many things, but I don't think incompetent is one of them.
    The rest is fine.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

It's still a head to head - the audience asks the questions and there are only the two of them.

Edit: it's now consecutively ... I was told there would have a head-to-head .. I wonder who changed their minds?
    Seem to remember May saying she'd not do one of those debates on TV at all... So that's a slight change of mind 
    edited May 2017
    Myranda said:
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

Seem to remember May saying she'd not do one of those debates on TV at all... So that's a slight change of mind 
    She was happy to go head to head with Corbyn but didn't want the others as it would be May against the rest, especially as, for example, the Greens wouldn't be forming a government (so they could say anything). In the back of her mind she has Cameron who in 2010 was ahead and then had a debate with Clegg and Brown which Clegg won by being better looking and more charming and promising lots of goodies. The result was a stalemate and a coalition. Many think Cameron would have won but for the TV debates.

Personally I think the TV debates are a waste of time. I'd rather have May and Corbyn grilled by the Daily Politics team .. they are something to behold when they get up a head of steam.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    How do you pay for free hospital parking? This will hit anyone with private medical cover.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/08/labour-plan-hit-millions-workers-hiking-medical-insurance-tax/

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    Evilmags said:
    How the hell did Abbot get into Cambridge. I have never met an oxbridge graduate that incompetent. 
    I studied with plenty of them. Most of them now work for the Labour Party.

I wish i was joking...
    you lot were telling me all the oxbridge entrants were especially gifted the other week
    ;-)
    Fretwired said:

I wouldn't put money on Corbyn coming out looking good, he's too thick
    Fretwired said:
    How do you pay for free hospital parking? This will hit anyone with private medical cover.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/08/labour-plan-hit-millions-workers-hiking-medical-insurance-tax/

pure genius - average workers to be penalised for assisting the NHS

This "many" seems to be a smaller group than the "few"?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    what's going to happen in 20 years when the robots do most of the jobs anyway?
    if 70% of the population don't have a job, and just get a universal salary, how will the voting work then?
    Will it be like Greece: everyone just voting for Christmas every day?

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Fretwired said:

which Clegg won by being better looking and more charming and promising lots of goodies. 
    I think that the electorate sussed that all of that was rubbish and suitably punished him in 2015.. 

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Fretwired said:

He's clearly less stiff and scripted than May, whether you think he's thick or not.  That tends to play well with a broadly representative audience.  So far, most of what we've seen on the campaign trail has been painfully, blatantly stage-managed.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    Fretwired said:

which Clegg won by being better looking and more charming and promising lots of goodies. 
    I think that the electorate sussed that all of that was rubbish and suitably punished him in 2015.. 

I think they saw him as a greedy opportunist who dumped his principles at the first opportunity in exchange for power and fat salary. All those students he duped won't forget in a hurry.  That's why I'm against TV debates in the current format. They are done for the benefit of the TV companies as a political X-Factor.

I rather these people were grilled by experts who had time to read each party's manifesto, get the facts and tear those with a poor grasp of their ideas and numbers apart.

Fretwired said:

He's clearly less stiff and scripted than May, whether you think he's thick or not.  That tends to play well with a broadly representative audience.  So far, most of what we've seen on the campaign trail has been painfully, blatantly stage-managed.
    she is a far quicker thinker on her feet

They are both stiff, and a contrast from the slickness of Cameron, Clegg and Blair
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

I think they saw him as a greedy opportunist who dumped his principles at the first opportunity in exchange for power and fat salary. All those students he duped won't forget in a hurry.  That's why I'm against TV debates in the current format. They are done for the benefit of the TV companies as a political X-Factor.

I rather these people were grilled by experts who had time to read each party's manifesto, get the facts and tear those with a poor grasp of their ideas and numbers apart.
    and me
    the public ask shit questions. I hate question time
    Let Brillo at them
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    How do Labour think they can get away with these "look at us helping the poor people policies" which are totally unachievable and will never be implemented if they get in to power anyway.

Corbyn is such a shitester. I am genuinely concerned that if they keep sprouting these mythical soundbite policy's then just like Brexit it might actually happen.

However just like Brexit it's all lies and we won't have an extra 350 million a week for the NHS
    and we won't stop immigration and the poor people will still be fucked and a man with a silly beard and no brains will be in charge of the country.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4987
    capo4th said:

However just like Brexit it's all lies and we won't have an extra 350 million a week for the NHS
    and we won't stop immigration and the poor people will still be fucked and a woman with silly hair and no brains will be in charge of the country.
    FTFY

I fear we're fucked either way.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...