Electoral Idiots...

What's Hot

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    @Emp_Fab  The answer to your original question is no, unless you want some sort of dictatorship. Also it would be good if you tell us who you are voting for and why? and after we have picked holes in your argument we can then deny you the right to vote. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Who was the idiot on here who voted for Brexit, then said they regretted it because they didn't understand what they were voting for?
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

And yet the bastards have withdrawn their candidate from a constituency with two Universities and fifty thousand middle-class muesli heads.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

And yet the bastards have withdrawn their candidate from a constituency with two Universities and fifty thousand middle-class muesli heads.
    Where? Sounds dumb to me ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Bidley said:
    You can't deny people the right to vote, but there needs to be more (or at least some) education on politics in general.

I didn't learn a single thing about politics in school. I learned about fucking Pythagoras' Theorem, but nothing about how politics actually work. Everything I know, I had to go out and look it up or pick it up from the media or Wikipedia or something. The concept of left and right wing, the leanings of the major parties, what the shadow cabinet/house of lords/commons is, I never got taught any of that.

It doesn't have to be a major subject, just something to teach the absolute fundamentals. I left school about 15 years ago, so maybe it's different now, but I never had any formal education on what is actually pretty important in being a functioning member of society. Which is what school is supposed to form you into.

Relating to the original point though, it just meant I didn't vote at all because I didn't have a clue/didn't care.
    You can get splinters from doing that mate. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    Surely the solution is to improve education in politics.

The problem is self policing anyway as thick people don't tend to vote.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    Fretwired said:

Where? Sounds dumb to me ...

Brighton Pavilion. They are colluding with the Green Party by each withdrawing from the constituency the other is challenging the hardest.

It has left me in an annoying position. I think I was most likely to vote yellow and am not a fan of green (especially after this...they are nailed on to win anyway...Caroline Lucas is my MP) so will have to choose red or blue. Still no idea which it will be.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    Tick both. Vote purple.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Tick both. Vote purple.

Ho ho. Lucas would loooove that.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26732
    When a system is designed to be fair ("the objective is to give everybody an equal vote") rather than correct, wise or accurate ("the objective is to make the best choice for everybody"), the odds against managing to make the best decision - even given unbiased provision of policies and a commitment to stick to them - are astronomical. Why? Human nature.

People will, for the most part, vote on single issues. That's why the EU referendum was such a clusterfuck...for many, the single issue they'd based their political views on suddenly became a whole bunch of issues (all of which were way too complex for the majority of the voters to deal with) which is why the lies became the story.

I would personally prefer an unfair electoral system which gave a higher chance of long-term success and stability for the country than a fair one which is a coin-flip influenced by the media, but then I'm also one of the people who believes that there's no default right for a person's opinions to be afforded equal weight regardless of qualification or fact. That's apparently not a particularly popular view these days ;)
    <space for hire>
    I'd give up my vote for more influence in other things.

Mostly I'd want to be able to lower the pollen count and make sunshine have a bit less burny UV in it. Also summers should be regulated to no more than 22C.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24572
    Sporky said:

Mostly I'd want to be able to lower the pollen count and make sunshine have a bit less burny UV in it. Also summers should be regulated to no more than 22C.
    I'd vote for that!
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Sporky said:

I'd vote for that!
    @Sporky for President!

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• RockerRocker Frets: 4991
    Taking the point made by the OP to it's extreme, no guitarist should be sold a PRS/Anderson/Fender CS etc unless they can prove that they can actually play guitar to a certain standard.

The reality of democracy is that everyone has the opportunity to partake in an election. This means that everyone who can vote is responsible for the outcome of the election. Deciding not to vote does not exempt you from responsibility about the election outcome.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    Rocker said:

The reality of democracy is that everyone has the opportunity to partake in an election. This means that everyone who can vote is responsible for the outcome of the election. Deciding not to vote does not exempt you from responsibility about the election outcome.
    Exactly. A lot of people who don't vote seem to think it does. Not voting is effectively to hand your vote to someone more motivated who will often want things you don't like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So if you vote you're responsible for the outcome, even if you voted the other way?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    Sporky said:
    So if you vote you're responsible for the outcome, even if you voted the other way?
    No, because you did as much as you could to avoid that outcome.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

And one vote makes what difference?
    Sporky said:
    One vote has never made a difference. People often say stuff like, "I'm not going to vote Lib Dem cos it's a wasted vote in my constituency". Every individual vote is a wasted vote whoever you vote for if the margin of victory is two or more votes.

I might not vote though, just to watch the forehead veins of militant democrats when I tell them.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24572
    Sporky said:
    One vote has never made a difference. People often say stuff like, "I'm not going to vote Lib Dem cos it's a wasted vote in my constituency". Every individual vote is a wasted vote whoever you vote for if the margin of victory is two or more votes.

I might not vote though, just to watch the forehead veins of militant democrats when I tell them.
    It might if we had PR.