Plugin Deals and Discussion Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Nah I've got loads of stuff recently but I'm more interested in the discussion than the deals side of the thread  =)

I'm on a massive Airwindows kick at the moment - Busscolors4 is *amazing* saturation, ADclip7 is silly good and such a great implementation of a clipper, Console 5 has become an automatic addition to sessions and I'm also using the chorus and vibrato options. I'm also using "NotJustAnotherDither" in place of Studio One's default dither on the output post-master fader.

PA's Focusrite channel strip is getting loads of use, Lindell's TE-100 EQ makes me ill with joy for midrange boosts that add character.

On the deals front, I'm demoing IK's Leslie emulation just now - it's half price until the start of September. Still not *that* cheap it is really good and I've surprised myself how often I use leslie sims to add texture and movement to otherwise static pad sounds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Forgive the spam but I've just posted an article about the incoming Empirical Labs Big Freq.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2020/8/14/empirical-labs-gives-a-sneak-peek-of-their-new-big-freq-plug-in

I have a fair bit of EL hardware and I love their Arouser plugin.
    This will be a hit.
    Nice to have that option to flatten out the bell curve tops - I think that's what I love about the Lindell 100 midrange boosts.
    Cirrus said:
    Nice to have that option to flatten out the bell curve tops - I think that's what I love about the Lindell 100 midrange boosts.
    It seems to be a really well thought out product.
    3pm can't come soon enough- insta-buy for me.
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    Haven't seen this free Waves distortion Plugin mentioned yet: https://reverb.com/uk/news/video-get-the-waves-berzerk-stereo-distortion-plugin-for-free

The video on the page does a really bad job at showing it off, this one is much better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDhnRHR4Q3k
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Slate trigger seems to be on at $49..is this worth having? Ive been getting by with an ancient drumagog and the reaper midi to audio thing but I know slate is basically the standard. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Slate trigger seems to be on at $49..is this worth having? Ive been getting by with an ancient drumagog and the reaper midi to audio thing but I know slate is basically the standard. 
    Yes, buy it.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited August 2020
    Cirrus said:
    Nah I've got loads of stuff recently but I'm more interested in the discussion than the deals side of the thread 

I'm on a massive Airwindows kick at the moment - Busscolors4 is *amazing* saturation, ADclip7 is silly good and such a great implementation of a clipper, Console 5 has become an automatic addition to sessions and I'm also using the chorus and vibrato options. I'm also using "NotJustAnotherDither" in place of Studio One's default dither on the output post-master fader.

PA's Focusrite channel strip is getting loads of use, Lindell's TE-100 EQ makes me ill with joy for midrange boosts that add character.

On the deals front, I'm demoing IK's Leslie emulation just now - it's half price until the start of September. Still not *that* cheap it is really good and I've surprised myself how often I use leslie sims to add texture and movement to otherwise static pad sound.
    I use Nebula consoles for bus colouration, but I do have PurestConsole on the master bus for a bit of 3D sparkle. I need to have a poke around in his other stuff though, as I am a big fan of minimal interfaces.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Cirrus said:

I'm on a massive Airwindows kick at the moment 
    I think you might have mentioned it before. Once or twice. ;)

:lol:

Bye!

Have you had a look at how the console channels and bus system works @Freebird ;? I love it. The only annoyance is no post-fader inserts in S1 so I end up needing to create a virtual summing mixer out of busses between the actual mix channels and busses and the master. I've got it down now but to start with... totally messed with my head.

The idea of the bus *undistorting/expanding/speeding up slew rate* to undo what the channels add is genius, because what you get is phase incoherence between all the channels being summed leaving distortion from the channel version at lower levels in the mix - which pulls your ears into the body of the sound, rather than the usual thing of peaks being saturated.

Have heard really good things about Nebula, but never really looked into it - I read it's quite CPU intensive and until recently my DAW PC just wouldn't have handled it.

I need to try purest console at some point. I'm in the middle of mixing an album though, so I'm going to stick to 5 for consistency for now...
  • Haven't seen this free Waves distortion Plugin mentioned yet: https://reverb.com/uk/news/video-get-the-waves-berzerk-stereo-distortion-plugin-for-free

The video on the page does a really bad job at showing it off, this one is much better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDhnRHR4Q3k
    For some reason the thumbnail of that video reminded me of this....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTmD4MyGzCI

Bye!

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    @WiresDreamDisasters ; they could be related!
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited August 2020
    Haven't seen this free Waves distortion Plugin mentioned yet: https://reverb.com/uk/news/video-get-the-waves-berzerk-stereo-distortion-plugin-for-free
    Where do you find the serial number?

Edit: found it.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    octatonic said:
    Yes, buy it.
    fuck it why not..I just bought GGD invasion yesterday to give myself a bit of a different pallette from BFD3 too so lots of fun drum options for me for the next couple of weeks.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Big FrEQ has been released for $99- or about £79.
    I bought it as soon as it was released.

It is fantastic and a stone cold bargain.
    To be clear, I've got a pair of the hardware version and they are over £5k at retail.
    $99 for a plugin this good is just incredible.

IK Tapes are 1/2 price. Still not cheap, but... they're very very good.
  • octatonic said:
    Big FrEQ has been released for $99- or about £79.
    I bought it as soon as it was released.

It is fantastic and a stone cold bargain.
    To be clear, I've got a pair of the hardware version and they are over £5k at retail.
    $99 for a plugin this good is just incredible.

What does it offer that other EQ's don't? I know it has a saturation circuit built in at the output, but apart from that... how does it compare with something like Fabfilter Pro-Q?

Bye!

Pro Q has a different interface- I use that a lot as my general use clean EQ.
    It has many more filter types but doesn't allow for slope and width adjustment in the same way.

Download the demo and see if you like it.
    I like it because it gives me something close to the Lil Freq sound in a plugin.
    I'm also expecting to to come out as AAX DSP, like Arouser is.
    It is still technically a 'pre-release' product- the actual launch is coming in a few weeks.

• Ah right.

I got an NFR for Arouser in the end. But I don't like it as much as the UAD Distressor.

Bye!

Ah right.

I got an NFR for Arouser in the end. But I don't like it as much as the UAD Distressor.
    How come?