Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33869
    edited July 2017
    Because I don't believe in doing anything the easy way, I'd love to stick Cupid's Dead and Cynical by Extreme on the list. I'd need some brave souls to join me on vocals, bass and drums though...

I'd be happy to wail out some cupid's dead with you ...but I'm not doing the rap! 

Bonzer! @fretmeister may join in on bass, depending on whether he can make the date or not. We can skip the rap, I think

Just need a drummer...
    This sort of thing is right up my musical alley.
    We'll shred its face off.

Let's add Hip Today as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    octatonic said:
    Because I don't believe in doing anything the easy way, I'd love to stick Cupid's Dead and Cynical by Extreme on the list. I'd need some brave souls to join me on vocals, bass and drums though...

I'd be happy to wail out some cupid's dead with you ...but I'm not doing the rap! 

Bonzer! @fretmeister may join in on bass, depending on whether he can make the date or not. We can skip the rap, I think

Just need a drummer...
    This sort of thing is right up my musical alley.
    We'll shred its face off.

Let's add Hip Today as well.
    Those songs are on the list with your names next to them.
    Does @fretmeister know about this yet?
    (Yeah, I guess we've just tagged him so he does now!)

5 places left and by the grace of Vai, @bigjon will be taking one of them so @fretmeister needs to get his name on the list asap if he wants to go?
    @viz ..........can you make this event?
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    edited July 2017
    I reckon a quick trip to Costco will see us right with crisps and drinks for all.  If a couple of us do that then we should be fine.  I'm happy to bring a few things.

Is someone going to grade the songs in terms of difficulty?  Think @Alnico mentioned helping people in advance of the jam with songs they're keen to learn - if that comes off I think it'll really help those of us that are new to this and make the most of the session so we're not going in cold.
    edited July 2017
    Vinylfan said:
    I reckon a quick trip to Costco will see us right with crisps and drinks for all.  If a couple of us do that then we should be fine.  I'm happy to bring a few things.

Is someone going to grade the songs in terms of difficulty?  Think @Alnico mentioned helping people in advance of the jam with songs they're keen to learn - if that comes off I think it'll really help those of us that are new to this and make the most of the session so we're not going in cold.
    Sure, just get hold of me and we can make some free time. I've never used Skype so far but it can't be THAT difficult.
    Whatever we need to do if someone needs help.
    No problem.

Let's make some time and get working on it.

As the song list comes together I'll put keys and difficulty grades into the equation. Let's get some ideas going for a solid list then I'll work on that.
  • Vinylfan said:

They have cold drinks available in the counter in reception.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    Vinylfan said:

They have cold drinks available in the counter in reception.
    Apparently the cafe at Quad is quite a thing there now.
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    edited July 2017
    Ok, scrap the Costco run then (might still bring some crisps though!)
    With regard to the song list, I'll wait until we've got all the suggestions in and then list it like this:

Songs that people have specifically requested they perform......For example, I Bagsy 'Roadhouse Blues' by the Doors. That's one I've been performing for years so I'm very comfortable with that one and I can sing it too, so on the list, that song will have my name next to it.
    @Vinylfan will have 'Tougher than the rest' by Bruce Springsteen........etc
    As well as the forum member(s) having their name(s) next to the song I'll grade them out of 10. 1 being piss easy and 10 being really fucking difficult so other people can get an idea of what's what with each song.

Then when I've listed all the 'Claimed' songs, We can come up with a list of 'Unclaimed' standards which the less experienced can "Have a go at" and again, I'll grade them (I'll be consulting with @octatonic and @Bridgehouse on this grading system) so that the people who aren't used to doing this can be better informed of what they're taking on.
    Finally, I'll put the most commonly used keys next to all songs so we all know what key to learn it in.

It's the 10th July today so let's say by 24th July we have a finalised list. That gives everyone roughly 5 weeks to practice and get used to what's going to be happening on the day so we're not "Going in cold"......so to speak.

How does that sound?
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    That sounds grand @Alnico but is it worth including which part everyone is playing? As I said earlier, I'm certainly not confident enough to play much lead yet but know rhythm parts for the songs I mentioned. (Btw if I pick one of those it'll be Fortunate Son... and I definitely can't play the lead parts at the moment!) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    That sounds grand @Alnico but is it worth including which part everyone is playing? As I said earlier, I'm certainly not confident enough to play much lead yet but know rhythm parts for the songs I mentioned. (Btw if I pick one of those it'll be Fortunate Son... and I definitely can't play the lead parts at the moment!) 
    Sure........That's why I want to get all the song suggestions in first so I can put together a properly structured list.
    That's exactly what I meant about dividing the list up and then detailing who's doing what etc.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Ah ok, ignore me then. I'll get back in my box :)

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Ah ok, ignore me then. I'll get back in my box :)
    No, it's a valid point, I just wanted to illustrate how that would play out once we get all the song suggestions.
    We can discuss who wants each part so:

Fortunate son will have your name next to it as Rhythm Guitar and we can look for someone who wants to play the lead on that, who wants to sing it, Which drummer is best suited to it etc.

I'm glad you raised the point so we can be clear about that.
    I guess I'm saying let's take the song list one step at a time and get the rough list together, then refine it into exactly who's doing what and from that we can all start helping each other with specific parts.

How does that sound?
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    @Alnico just told me about this.

I'm up for it @Bridgehouse is Wednesday OK for the £8

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33869
    I would caution against making the set list overly prescriptive.
    We want to make this fun, and not make people feel like this is homework.

I know we have a couple of shreddy songs in there but a couple of us are quite experienced in this genre and can just drop them in as we go.
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:
    Ok,

Here is the List of 'Jammy Gits' with Current Status.
    If you're going please PM @Bridgehouse and he will arrange your £8 contribution with you directly.
    So, in no particular order, those who are so far definitely going are:

1. @octatonic
    2. @Ennspek
    3. @TheBlueWolf
    4. @TheOtherDennis
    5. @WezV
    6. @Flink_Poyd
    7. @DigitalScream
    8. @Strangefan
    9. @Strumjoughlamps
    10. @LegionReturns
    11. @Monofin
    12. @MarkBlagdon
    13. @Darthed1981
    14. @Pablo
    15. @TTony
    16. @Roland
    17. @Not_The_DJ
    18. @Antifash
    19. @Horse
    20. @TADodger
    21. @Fandango
    22. @Impmann
    23. @Aord43
    24. @ChrisMusic
    25. @Vinylfan

And the list of TBC's are:

1. @EricTheWeary
    2. @Bigjon
    3. @LuttiS
    4. @Antifash

@TheBlueWolf now added to the list.

@Antifash has requested to be put on the TBC list so at the moment there's another place opened up.

26 Confirmed.
    4 on TBC

4 places left in Total now.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

Yes, course it is - I've covered costs now so Wednesday is fine. PM me on weds and I'll send you the payment details
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536

Yes, course it is - I've covered costs now so Wednesday is fine. PM me on weds and I'll send you the payment details
    Will do :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

There's a lot of information going on in this thread so every few days or so I'll recap and post a summary of the important points and where we are with everything. It's at 10 pages already so this will help people to keep up with the latest news etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Alnico said:
    There's a lot of information going on in this thread so every few days or so I'll recap and post a summary of the important points and where we are with everything. It's at 10 pages already so this will help people to keep up with the latest news etc.
    I'll post logistical updates now and again as well.