Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Quick update - I've had 17 paid (including myself) which is excellent for the first day!

Well done all. If you haven't paid yet, drop me a PM ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I would suggest not being strict about who is doing what song or what part - if someone wants to have a go on the day at something different, join some others or whatever, they should be able to - make it casual, no pressure, just fun, right?
    So perhaps just listing the songs rather than saying "so-and-so is playing rhythm on X" etc.?
    aord43 said:
    I would suggest not being strict about who is doing what song or what part - if someone wants to have a go on the day at something different, join some others or whatever, they should be able to - make it casual, no pressure, just fun, right?
    So perhaps just listing the songs rather than saying "so-and-so is playing rhythm on X" etc.?
    Given we have 5 hours, we could have a "fixed" line up to bash it out and then people can swap in and out for a repeat as and when. I think that would be pretty cool actually. Similarly we can have a few "play along" songs where folks can join in when they feel like it (maybe a bit quieter to help them build confidence as well)
    ^ Dont worry tho, me and @Alnico will sort out order on the day - there will be so much social, chatting, gearbating and stuff anyway that everyone will get a fair crack at playing.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited July 2017
    One other thing worth organising is transport, which I'm happy to do. If we've got people coming from various parts of the country, car sharing is definitely a thing and whilst they might appreciate 30 ish people buying coffees etc I don't they'd be too keen on 30 cars.

Does that sound like a good idea? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    aord43 said:
    Of course.
    That part of it was really only for those who are used to performing and know those songs well with confidence.

Let's get the list together first and agree on the keys then we can see who feels the most confident at which numbers.

The most important part for me is that the people with little or no experience and lots of nerves don't feel under pressure or take on songs that are beyond them so that's why I was thinking of structuring it like that.

As you say it's casual fun but there will be people there who can do this confidently so to cater for them as well if they have songs they specifically want to do then that's cool.

Then there's a more free time for the less experienced to try the easier songs and have some help with them.

We'll probably split up the time between those two aspects but we'll sort that out closer to the time.
    One other thing worth organising is transport, which I'm happy to do. If we've got people coming from various parts of the country, car sharing is definitely a thing and whilst they might appreciate 30 ish people buying coffees etc I don't they'd be too keen on 30 cars.

Certainly does. Fill your boots chap. My advice would be to get everyone to PM you where they are coming from and see if there's any logical car shares. Some will want to, some not. Also, if there's public transport people then they could get picked up etc. 

Just a thought. ;)

Yeah I agree.
    I'll have some space in my hire car too and I'm more than happy to help out.
    Bridgehouse said:
    My advice would be to get everyone to PM you where they are coming from and see if there's any logical car shares. Some will want to, some not. Also, if there's public transport people then they could get picked up etc. 
    Yeah that's what I had in mind. Can you add the request to pm me to the nation thread / logistics posts one ready? 

Bridgehouse said:
    My advice would be to get everyone to PM you where they are coming from and see if there's any logical car shares. Some will want to, some not. Also, if there's public transport people then they could get picked up etc. 
    Yeah that's what I had in mind. Can you add the request to pm me to the nation thread / logistics posts one ready? 
    You mean the first post?
    You mentioned doing an updated logistics post once all numbers were confirmed, but yes it might be worth having on the top page once we're finalised

You mentioned doing an updated logistics post once all numbers were confirmed, but yes it might be worth having on the top page once we're finalised
    Ah right, yes of course.  

I'll make sure you're mentioned in a summary post ;)
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited July 2017

Nothing wrong with car sharing, very environmentally friendly, and properly social, too, but Quad has a lot of parking space. It's in an old warehouse and has enough parking for all the studios to be occupied with bands who have come in their own cars.

On the subject of lifts, I have a VW van that has been converted to wheelchair accessible. It seats 5 including me, and has a hulking great space in the back for gear (well it's a converted van). If my OH decides she's not coming (and she probably won't, I expect she'll view this as part of my respite and let me have the afternoon off), I can pick up people from Leicester station and get them back for their return trains, so you don't have to worry about finding your way across an unfamiliar town on a busy Saturday.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8763
    Do we want name badges similar to what we had for the Guitar Show? I can print then labels. I think @TTony  has the plastic holders.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    Do we want name badges similar to what we had for the Guitar Show? I can print then labels. I think @TTony  has the plastic holders.
    Sure, That idea really worked well at the show.

Thanks Roland.

Nothing wrong with car sharing, very environmentally friendly, and properly social, too, but Quad has a lot of parking space. It's in an old warehouse and has enough parking for all the studios to be occupied with bands who have come in their own cars.

On the subject of lifts, I have a VW van that has been converted to wheelchair accessible. It seats 5 including me, and has a hulking great space in the back for gear (well it's a converted van). If my OH decides she's not coming (and she probably won't, I expect she'll view this as part of my respite and let me have the afternoon off), I can pick up people from Leicester station and get them back for their return trains, so you don't have to worry about finding your way across an unfamiliar town on a busy Saturday.
    I think at least @impmann will appreciate that.
    It's an easy route to walk but it's not exactly just around the corner.

Nice one Den.
    octatonic said:
    I would caution against making the set list overly prescriptive.
    We want to make this fun, and not make people feel like this is homework.

I know we have a couple of shreddy songs in there but a couple of us are quite experienced in this genre and can just drop them in as we go.
    Sorry @octatonic ;, I missed this post in the melee earlier.

Yes with some thought and obviously bowing to your vast experience with teaching, I do agree with this point.
    I'm trying to strike a balance between keeping those with experience who want to do certain songs happy and keeping an open stage as it were.
     @aord43 raised this point as well, which is a very valid point indeed so I think if we make up the song list first and then see who's interested in which song and work methodically from there, that's less of a 'Homework' approach.
    Do you both agree?
    Once we gauge that interest in each song, we can then look at who would like to play what part or rather who wouldn't like to be faced with a part they don't feel that they could handle, as @Legionreturns mentioned earlier.

Obviously @octatonic I'll work closely with you on getting this balance right for everyone and also I'll need your input on finalising that list to keep it realistic.

Also if @aord43 or anyone else has any input towards this aspect of the event I'd be glad to hear any suggestions from you all?

Everything is still quite loose at the moment so there's plenty of wiggle room to make this suitable for everyone and *That* is surely the most important part of the day?

Thanks, both of you for your input and keep the suggestions coming won't you?
  • Am I aloud?
    Am I aloud?
    Are you bringing beer?
  • Am I aloud?
    Are you bringing beer?
    @Bridgehouse , do you think that all I do is drink beer and make love to beautiful women?