Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Let's chuck in some fun and easy pub cover band classics:

Teenage Kicks
    Ever Fallen in Love
    20th Century Boy
    Pretty Vacant
    Crossroads

That sort of thing...

If anyone can sing it I'd love to do Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down a Dream"

Noted and yes, I can sing that Tom Petty one with you unless someone else really wants to sing it. I can do the second guitar part to it as well, it's an old favourite.
    No problem Col.

I'll put those on the list as suggestions and we'll work on finalising it all further down the line. Like I said let's give that about 14 days (13 now) and then we can come up with a varied list that offers something for everyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fandango said:
    I knew my comments would throw the cat amongst the pigeons. No offence intended, and appreciate I could have been more tactful, or just kept my mouth shut.

And i am glad, i'm glad, i'm glad (poss song choice, not that i can play it yet) that there will be a variety of styles, despite that, wouldnt a 5 hour rendition of Dark Star be something*, eh?  ;)

Que sera sera.

* I really am a windup merchant today, aren't I?

Thanks for the reply and that's appreciated.

We really are working quite hard behind the scenes to make sure this is 'For Everyone' and there's no offence taken, that certainly isn't what the event is about.

As @Bridgehouse pointed out earlier in the thread, there's a huge social aspect to this and lots of old friends who haven't seen in other in a long time as well as new people to meet so we think there'll be enough of a buzz about the place to put everyone in a great frame of mind and feel really positive, which is most definitely the best frame of mind to be in when playing any song, in any style at any level.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27793
    Alnico said:

I think the easiest way will be for @Bridgehouse to edit the OP once we get the full 30 people confirmed and put it right at the beginning on Page 1 but I'm on top of it for now and it's up to date for now so let's wait until we're full and then do that?

Start two new threads;
    1. Quad Jam - Logistics
    2. Quad Jam - SetList
    Add a few (2-3 should do it) blank replies to each new thread so that you "reserve" the first few posts in the thread.  You can then use /edit the original post plus the replies to keep the start of the thread updated with all the latest info.

Link each thread in the original post in this thread, then everyone can find the new threads easily without them having to be stickied.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    TTony said:
    Alnico said:

I think the easiest way will be for @Bridgehouse to edit the OP once we get the full 30 people confirmed and put it right at the beginning on Page 1 but I'm on top of it for now and it's up to date for now so let's wait until we're full and then do that?

Start two new threads;
    1. Quad Jam - Logistics
    2. Quad Jam - SetList
    Add a few (2-3 should do it) blank replies to each new thread so that you "reserve" the first few posts in the thread.  You can then use /edit the original post plus the replies to keep the start of the thread updated with all the latest info.

Link each thread in the original post in this thread, then everyone can find the new threads easily without them having to be stickied.
    :)
    @Alnico - I'll do them now for you
    Done - two new threads ready to go. I'll link them in the OP later, but feel free to start using them 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12694
    edited July 2017
    Alnico said:

Teenage Kicks
    Ever Fallen in Love
    20th Century Boy
    Pretty Vacant
    Crossroads

That sort of thing...

Noted and yes, I can sing that Tom Petty one with you unless someone else really wants to sing it. I can do the second guitar part to it as well, it's an old favourite.
    No problem Col.

I'll put those on the list as suggestions and we'll work on finalising it all further down the line. Like I said let's give that about 14 days (13 now) and then we can come up with a varied list that offers something for everyone.
    Three of them (Kicks, Fallen in Love and Vacant) were all part of my old band's set, so yep... I can cover those very easily if anyone wants me to baggsy some rythmn bits.

Can I chuck 'Superstition' into the mix? Its a great song for jams, because it has structure but it extends well and you can pretty much play any "style" solo over it (shred, blues, jazz, funk) and it sounds epic. You just need to ensure everyone learns it in an agreed key...

I'm coming up on the train with a guitar in a gigbag... I'll leave the pedal board at home and just plug into anything available. But I'm coming up from near Kettering.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    Alnico said:

Teenage Kicks
    Ever Fallen in Love
    20th Century Boy
    Pretty Vacant
    Crossroads

That sort of thing...

No problem Col.

Three of them (Kicks, Fallen in Love and Vacant) were all part of my old band's set, so yep... I can cover those very easily if anyone wants me to baggsy some rythmn bits.

Can I chuck 'Superstition' into the mix? Its a great song for jams, because it has structure but it extends well and you can pretty much play any "style" solo over it (shred, blues, jazz, funk) and it sounds epic. You just need to ensure everyone learns it in an agreed key...

I'm coming up on the train with a guitar in a gigbag... I'll leave the pedal board at home and just plug into anything available. But I'm coming up from near Kettering.

Yes, you can chuck in 'Superstition'.
    As I've just been discussing behind the scenes, we'll leave the suggestions open for a short while and then close it down while we sort out the finalised list.
    At this point it's all just suggestions and ideas.........all good ones too I might add.
    Done - two new threads ready to go. I'll link them in the OP later, but feel free to start using them 
    Ok,

I'll post the list of song suggestions we have so far and then we can keep all that in that thread.
    It'll be much easier to work out.

I'll also post the list of attendees right at the start so if everyone gives me a chance to start that off before they start posting in those threads, I'll do that now.

Thanks Mark.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12138
    Paid my dues.

Really looking forward to meeting a few of you guys and hearing you play, seeing some nice gear!

The atmosphere you are trying to create of having fun and hammering away on some great gear will be most helpful to a mediocre player like me.

Has the studio got any proper AC30s?  I'd love a go on one of those!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Perhaps the comment about "shreddy stuff" should be taken as a warning to remember that the OP specifically says:

"The emphasis of this Jam is newcomers, those with less experience or none at all. However all levels of experience very much welcome."

So notwithstanding the second part of that comment, the first part must not be forgotten - Personally I have no performance or band experience despite having tinkered with the instrument for 20 years, and would be easily intimidated if I thought it was a session for experienced band members.

Not that I don't enjoy seeing and listening to people who are good at it, of course, and it's great to get inspiration from those for whom this is all in a day's work  =)
    aord43 said:
    Perhaps the comment about "shreddy stuff" should be taken as a warning to remember that the OP specifically says:

"The emphasis of this Jam is newcomers, those with less experience or none at all. However all levels of experience very much welcome."

So notwithstanding the second part of that comment, the first part must not be forgotten - Personally I have no performance or band experience despite having tinkered with the instrument for 20 years, and would be easily intimidated if I thought it was a session for experienced band members.

Not that I don't enjoy seeing and listening to people who are good at it, of course, and it's great to get inspiration from those for whom this is all in a day's work  =)
    Shred, chords, Oasis, Beatles, simple, hard, it can all be worked in over 5 hours!
    aord43 said:

The day is for everyone and there will be parts of the day where the emphasis will be on newcomers just as there'll be parts of it where the emphasis will be on those with experience.

We're trying very hard to keep this balanced and encourage people to enjoy performances as much as feel confident to perform themselves.

We're not forgetting the newcomers at all, if anything the more experienced among us are going out of our way to help them and it's not a session for those of us who've got experience, it's a session for everyone with (hopefully) a good mix of talent and styles across the board.

I particularly like your comment about "Inspiration" because what the more experienced among us will be doing, Shredding or not we're very much hoping WILL inspire people, not intimidate them.

I can't really stress this enough, we're working very hard to make this "For Everyone" as much as that's possible.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26925
    It's also worth noting that some of us will be taking fair risks even though we're pretty experienced - like playing Extreme tracks. I mean...there's a significant chance it's going to go horribly wrong, which will also serve as an object lesson to the less-experienced in terms of, "Don't play stuff beyond your reach in front of people" :D
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's also worth noting that some of us will be taking fair risks even though we're pretty experienced - like playing Extreme tracks. I mean...there's a significant chance it's going to go horribly wrong, which will also serve as an object lesson to the less-experienced in terms of, "Don't play stuff beyond your reach in front of people" :D
    Speaking from my own perspective, I've got tonnes of experience at jam sessions over the years.
    I also haven't been able to play at all, for medical reasons, for the last 12 months so I'm horribly out of practice and therefore horribly lacking in confidence. Any song will be a risk for me and one that I'll have to practice like hell over the next weeks just to make a reasonable job of, even then I can't guarantee it'll work.

What I'm trying to say is that in many ways, a lot of us are in a very similar position, definitely including me.
    My experience "Over the Years" won't count for much when my fingers have forgotten how to do it !

Hopefully, that will give some of you some extra confidence yourselves.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I think the event could do with someone who can play basic power chord rhythm quite badly, so im checking that the Wife hasn't got anything in the diary for that day. if she hasn't, ill come along :)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Nikko said:
    I think the event could do with someone who can play basic power chord rhythm quite badly, so im checking that the Wife hasn't got anything in the diary for that day. if she hasn't, ill come along :)
    Glad to see you there if you can make it @Nikko

There's only 3 places left so don't leave it too long ok?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8798

Teenage Kicks
    Ever Fallen in Love
    20th Century Boy
    Pretty Vacant
    Crossroads
    Rocking in the Free World

Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down a Dream"

impmann said:

Superstition
    aord43 said:

Hit the Road Jack (just 4 chords over and over with plenty of scope for soloing)
    Take your Mama (Scissor Sisters)
    Someone else said:
    Mustang Sally

What suggestions do we have in other genres?

Has anyone learned a solo, playing to a backing track, which they want to try out with other musicians?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1784
    I'd love to come along, but it's my wedding anniversary.
    Is there anything fun-for-women nearby that I could plan a day out to, then on the day make some sort of "oh, as it happens a couple o people are meeting nearby, maybe I should leave you to have some space for 1 or 5 hours?!"
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    edited July 2017
    When I looked at playing Superstition it was in E flat, which meant tuning down, so I didn't bother.  It's bad enough trying to play songs in standard tuning  o
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12138
    Have people got thoughts about having a couple of jars afterwards?

I get out so little these days I'm thinking of booking a hotel.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...