Fretboard Jam 2017 - Song List Thread - Running Order V4

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    fandango said:
    @Alnico I'm more than happy to play Roadhouse with whoever, but if anyone else on the list wants to take that then I don't have an issue.

I can play on as much or as little as needed, (just as long as "running down a dream" and backing you on "comfortably numb" is written in stone!) 
    @not_the_dj  Just PM'd you.

Happy to meet up before the day to run through stuff. Your neck of the woods isn't too far away from/for me.
    Hey that's fantastic !
    I'm free a lot of the time so let me know with a few days warning and pop over.
    I can help you with whatever you need and I've played on stage with Colin before so what I show you will pretty much add up to the way he'll back you up on the day.

Nice one.
    Lemme know.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11767
    TTony said:
    BTW - thanks all for soundtracking my afternoon at work, I'm adding these all to my Spotify playlist as they get added so that anyone can listen to them

Edit: Well anyone with Spotify ;)
    @darthed1981  could you add a link to the playlist here (for the final list)?  It'd save me creating one!
    @TTony here you go https://open.spotify.com/user/1150896549/playlist/51mQakh4sgDiB7uFfFgwvP

All there except "Shake Your Tailfeather" which is currently mysteriously absent from Spotify.  There are some weird whacky versions, but everyone is clearly thinking of the Ray Charles "excuse me there is nothing wrong with this keyboard" scene in Blue Brothers!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27543
    Thanks @darthed1981 ;
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    TTony said:
    BTW - thanks all for soundtracking my afternoon at work, I'm adding these all to my Spotify playlist as they get added so that anyone can listen to them

@darthed1981  could you add a link to the playlist here (for the final list)?  It'd save me creating one!
    @TTony here you go https://open.spotify.com/user/1150896549/playlist/51mQakh4sgDiB7uFfFgwvP

All there except "Shake Your Tailfeather" which is currently mysteriously absent from Spotify.  There are some weird whacky versions, but everyone is clearly thinking of the Ray Charles "excuse me there is nothing wrong with this keyboard" scene in Blue Brothers!
    Stolen! Thank you! Was trying to build that myself and you've saved me a job

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    @Alnico happy with pretty vacant. Just listening to the Joan jett version now. Sounds fun
    monofin said:
    @Alnico happy with pretty vacant. Just listening to the Joan jett version now. Sounds fun
    Excellent, then that's you and me for 10 minutes whenever its convenient on the day in room 1.

If you practice those 2 songs we can spend some time in room 2 before you go on.
    I can do them with a moments notice, don't worry I'll back you right up on this Jase.

I'll get hold of you on skype soon to run through it when we both have time.

Nice one!
    :)
    TTony said:

Stolen! Thank you! Was trying to build that myself and you've saved me a job
    Happy to contribute, please anyone feel free to nab, public playlist.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Alnico said:
    monofin said:
    So....... What's left that no-one wants?
    Jase,

That's the opposite of what it is mate.

YOU pick what YOU want to do, it doesn't matter if someone is already doing it.
    YOUR version will be yours and you will inevitably do it differently.
    We will put you with a different bunch of people on stage to the last lot who did that particular song and you'll have a different experience.

Actually Jase I'm really glad you've said this because it's highlighted an important point perfectly.
    Well I said put me down for whatever no-one else wants, and I'm still very happy for you to do that, but if you insist my choices in order of preference are:

Learning To Fly

Mustang Sally

Shake Your Tailfeather

Beat It

Foxy Lady
    Alnico said:
    bigjon said:
    Alnico said:

Let's have your suggestions for Room 2 Songs (Just songs please, we know what else we're doing with Room 2).

In a day or two, we will look at which songs work best here.
    As an off the top of my head Idea...... @bigjon , would you like to do Pink Floyd in this room? It would be more fitting and also We could include another PF song so that 30 minute slot will be mostly *that* style.
    This means that each 30 minute slot in Room 2 has a theme.

Yes, please! I do Another Brick in the spirit of PF but not in the exact style, rather in a much more open, jammable format. I think lots of you would enjoy having a go and listening to what each other comes up with. It's only 4 chords and it's all do-able in D minor pentatonic, so it's accessible to everyone.
    Jon,

That sounds fine.
    Amongst whatever else you do on the day we can work out the last 30-minute slot in room 2 to end the day and 'Theme' it as PF.
    All I really ask for throughout the whole day, whether I get to play in room 1 on the songs I mentioned above or not, is to play room 2,...'Comfortably Numb' and to take the lead guitar parts as my own.

I'd be happy to forgo everything else on the day just to get a crack at that and by that I don't mean share the lead or make up our own version of the song, I mean perform a decent, solid rendition of the actual song and let ME have the lead guitar parts start to finish. For this, I'll need a rhythm guitarist who's happy just playing rhythm on that track.

After the effort I'm personally putting into this day along with the other two guys, that's not much to ask of everyone to let me have that is it?

Either way, the PF slot in room 2 can be timed so that room 1 can already be shutting down and ready for packing up mode while everyone piles into room 2 to watch the last session of the day (maybe) as an idea for itinerary........we can sort that out nearer the time.
    How about a two-song PF set: Another Brick, in which anyone who wants to can take a solo over the D minor riff, and your rendition of Comfortably Numb?
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    OK, I've decided on a couple. 

Beginner! 

I'd like have a go at... 

Beat it (not the insane EVH solo though) 

Anarchy in the UK 

... aaaand that's pretty much it :) 
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
     @bigjon ......tagged to save massive quotes.
    Yes, that was the idea as the last section of the day.

An idea for YOU to think about is that ABITW is a fairly groovy, upbeat song and 'Comfy' is dark and moody. Wish You Were Here is a kind of perfect bridge between them and sets the mood for Comfy perfectly.

Also the people 'On Stage'as it were will be changing around for Comfy and that'll be the very last song so I would imagine that will take 5 - 10 minutes or so to get the people up who haven't played on the first one or two,....myself included. I'm focussed on Comfortably Numb so I'm happy for you to lead the first half of the last set with ABITW and I suggest you and someone else has a go at WYWH but you don't have to, it's merely a suggestion as it's not a long song.
    Let's see what happens with that one as pencilled in if you like or strike it if you don't, it's going to be your section of the final showcase no matter what.

My Cover Version of Comfortably Numb will be very much pre-planned and possibly rehearsed before the day.....that's something the 4 or 5 of us that are doing it can talk about closer to the time but it will need a certain amount of setting up as we're not just going to "Bash-it-out" so You taking the first half of the last set and me taking the second half splits everything up nicely and gives everyone a fair chance at stage time for what is arguably THE showcase section of the day. Because what I personally am doing here, I'm inclined to want you and whoever YOU think should be with you on stage take that first half of the last set for these songs and then in the short break between, all of the players will be refreshed by the second half players. Again, this means a fresh approach for the audience.

BTW - I'm discussing this in public for a reason too......for those who want to learn about live performances, etc.
    This would also be another reason why we're putting on a showcase right at the end because we want to show you all what's possible but also how much planning and organisation it takes as opposed to 'Jamming'!
    Like we keep saying, we're trying to fit as much into the day as we can in many ways, not all of them immediately obvious but all valuable in some way.

To be honest (Again....... @TheOtherDennis !!!) .......My stage time throughout the day will pale next to yours anyway because I'm doing so many other things.
    I've agreed to a couple of numbers with @monofin (Jase) so far and I might get one or two others in supporting other people but 'The Day' isn't about me and it's not about my enjoyment of playing live.

My enjoyment of the day is two fold.

Firstly I want to see EVERYONE enjoying themselves in EVERY way we as a team can provide. That's my/our main goal.

Secondly, this will be my first time playing at all in 12 months and my first time playing live in 2 years!
    The song is very special to me and goes beyond being a 'Favourite' so when @digitalscream and some others are talking about capturing things on video, again this becomes rather important to me, who really wants to capture this in the best quality we can for many reasons.

Some may say that making our performances of PF into something polished goes against the principle of a "Jam Session" which is not incorrect but that's why it's right at the very end and it's our way of giving something back to everyone for supporting the event and making the day the success we hope it will be.
    So that last song fulfills many things for me as I hope your first half song/songs will for you and whilst mine isn't the most technical song in the world, my choice has it's challenges to get it right and I'm looking forward to taking that challenge on, equally I'm looking forward to doing that in front of an audience that appreciates the day we will have all just spent together, then, in turn, appreciates the performance.

So where this last section might appear at first glance to be not the norm to everyone, it's not supposed to be for these reasons.

I hope that makes this aspect of the day clear for everyone and they'll get behind us doing this for them, for the audience to enjoy, for the Fretboard to benefit/gain from as footage and for us as musicians to give everything we've got in one final, Epic Set.

@bigjon .....can we rely on you to get behind that and work with us in this way?
    edited July 2017
    bigjon said:

...so I can manage Cynical in Drop D if that's wanted.
    Reckon you could sing that and play bass? I realise it's a bit of a stretch, given that the bass and vocals are in completely different rhythm [apologies @digitalscream can't get outside the quote box on my mobile] 

I can give it a go but I'd much rather do one or the other - I think my singing and bass-playing suffers a 30-40% drop in quality when I do both at the same time
    Nikko said:

Beginner! 

I'd like have a go at... 

Anarchy in the UK 

I've asked to be on those as well, so we could help each other out on the day!
    Alnico said:

I hope that makes this aspect of the day clear for everyone and they'll get behind us doing this for them, for the audience to enjoy, for the Fretboard to benefit/gain from as footage and for us as musicians to give everything we've got in one final, Epic Set.
    Will look forward to watching it. :)
    Nikko said:

Beginner! 

I'd like have a go at... 

Anarchy in the UK 

I've asked to be on those as well, so we could help each other out on the day!
    .......And *that* people is EXACTLY what we're trying to encourage and see happening.
     Thank you @darthed1981 ;
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Nice one @darthed1981. Looking forward to it :) 
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    I'd like some time at some point in room two to practice improvising over chord progressions, maybe with a bit of help. Is this something  that fits with the general idea of room 2? 

Alnico said:
    bigjon said:
    Alnico said:

@bigjon might also want to get involved in some 'Workshop' themed stuff in room 2, maybe tutoring a small group for 20 minutes at a time or something like that?
    I'd be very happy to help in that way.
    Brilliant.

If you spend some time over the next few weeks planning some 20-30 minute workshops, focusing on the aspects that YOU feel people would benefit from, I and the other 2 would be happy to leave that small amount of work with you!

Jon, thanks.....
    For now, I'll leave that with YOU and for everyone attending, please speak to @bigjon using tags like this about workshop style sessions in room 2.
    When that's gained some momentum, Jon can work out with us how many of these sessions there will be and we can FIT that into the itinerary for room 2.

I've read back through the thread, so far the only request for a workshop session is @Legionreturns - improvising over simple chord progressions. I'll definitely offer that one then!

Any requests for other workshops? The next stage after the minor pentatonic? Adding open strings to basic chord shapes? Improvising over a major scale where the basic minor pentatonic won't work?
    Excellent...........Thanks Jon.
    Alnico said:
     @bigjon ......tagged to save massive quotes.
    Yes, that was the idea as the last section of the day.

An idea for YOU to think about is that ABITW is a fairly groovy, upbeat song and 'Comfy' is dark and moody. Wish You Were Here is a kind of perfect bridge between them and sets the mood for Comfy perfectly.

Also the people 'On Stage'as it were will be changing around for Comfy and that'll be the very last song so I would imagine that will take 5 - 10 minutes or so to get the people up who haven't played on the first one or two,....myself included. I'm focussed on Comfortably Numb so I'm happy for you to lead the first half of the last set with ABITW and I suggest you and someone else has a go at WYWH but you don't have to, it's merely a suggestion as it's not a long song.
    Let's see what happens with that one as pencilled in if you like or strike it if you don't, it's going to be your section of the final showcase no matter what.

My Cover Version of Comfortably Numb will be very much pre-planned and possibly rehearsed before the day.....that's something the 4 or 5 of us that are doing it can talk about closer to the time but it will need a certain amount of setting up as we're not just going to "Bash-it-out" so You taking the first half of the last set and me taking the second half splits everything up nicely and gives everyone a fair chance at stage time for what is arguably THE showcase section of the day. Because what I personally am doing here, I'm inclined to want you and whoever YOU think should be with you on stage take that first half of the last set for these songs and then in the short break between, all of the players will be refreshed by the second half players. Again, this means a fresh approach for the audience.

@bigjon .....can we rely on you to get behind that and work with us in this way?
    Deleted a large chunk of your post in the spirit of keeping the quotes short.

Absolutely delighted to work with you in this way, Alnico. Summary is final half-hour in room 2, first 15 minutes me leading a Pink Floyd set, second half you doing your version of Comfortably Numb.

I'll keep it to just the one song for the first half - Another Brick. That way there will be plenty of time for anyone who wants to play on a section of the song - either a solo over the D minor riff or rhythm guitar on a D minor chord :-)
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited July 2017
    @bigjon  I've been working on the different modes with my guitar teacher, and do a bit of this myself using my looper to put some chords down and the noodle over the top. I guess what I'm looking for is more experience at recognising what I'm playing over and playing something appropriate by ear. I know that will take time. I can play certain positions/modes but I need to break out of boxes with a little more fluidity. For example, in my head when I hear a progression of CFG, I go to position 1 of the 3 finger per string at the 8th and also drop to the pentatonic box 1 at the 5th. I occasionally will head up to position 2 at the 12th but really it just seems to come out the same every time. I bend the same notes and play the same sequences over and over again! I also need to get better at including more than just single note runs. I've been working on including some double stops as well. Sorry if this is a ramble, and apologies for not using the proper terms for everything! I was just trying to give you an idea of where I am! 

*edit* happy to take this to pm rather than clog up the thread

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you