Fretboard Jam 2017 - Song List Thread - Running Order V4

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26601
    bigjon said:
    bigjon said:

...so I can manage Cynical in Drop D if that's wanted.
    Reckon you could sing that and play bass? I realise it's a bit of a stretch, given that the bass and vocals are in completely different rhythm [apologies @digitalscream can't get outside the quote box on my mobile] 

I can give it a go but I'd much rather do one or the other - I think my singing and bass-playing suffers a 30-40% drop in quality when I do both at the same time
    No worries - I've tried learning to sing before, and gave up when I realised that singing at the same time as playing guitar means I can't actually do either ;)

Nikko said:
    OK, I've decided on a couple. 

Beginner! 

I'd like have a go at... 

Beat it (not the insane EVH solo though) 

Anarchy in the UK 

... aaaand that's pretty much it :) 
    I've asked to be on those as well, so we could help each other out on the day!
    If neither of you feel confident with it, I can probably do the solo (it's been years since I played it, but I'm sure it'll come back to me...).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    @bigjon
    Fantastic and thank you.
    We'll put this together over the coming weeks without stressing ourselves out over it but for now, that's all the commitment We need.
    Much appreciated.
    I'll leave you to get on with arranging any workshop sessions for now.

ALL ATTENDEES.......
    If Jon's workshop style sessions are something you would be interested in, can you PLEASE make yourself known to him sooner rather than later.
    The reason is simple and it's so we can plan the itinerary and know as early as possible exactly how many workshops Jon will be running, for how many people in each and for how long each one will be.

Thanks in advance from the organisers.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    @bigjon - I would be really keen on any / all of the workshop sessions, as a home player, i find that good technique is difficult to pick up from books or vids. 

@legionreturns - it would be good to have chat about how much lessons have helped as it is definitely something I am considering as the next step to improving.

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    edited July 2017
    bigjon said:
    bigjon said:

Reckon you could sing that and play bass? I realise it's a bit of a stretch, given that the bass and vocals are in completely different rhythm [apologies @digitalscream can't get outside the quote box on my mobile] 

I can give it a go but I'd much rather do one or the other - I think my singing and bass-playing suffers a 30-40% drop in quality when I do both at the same time
    No worries - I've tried learning to sing before, and gave up when I realised that singing at the same time as playing guitar means I can't actually do either

Nikko said:

Beginner! 

I'd like have a go at... 

Anarchy in the UK 

... aaaand that's pretty much it  
    If neither of you feel confident with it, I can probably do the solo (it's been years since I played it, but I'm sure it'll come back to me...).

Obviously cant speak for @darthed1981  but, to be honest, I wouldn't even attempt it, so as far as im concerned you can fill yer boots
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    TADodger said:
    @bigjon - I would be really keen on any / all of the workshop sessions, as a home player, i find that good technique is difficult to pick up from books or vids. 

@legionreturns - it would be good to have chat about how much lessons have helped as it is definitely something I am considering as the next step to improving.

Yeah, id also be interested in a workshop. I need to be better at everything, so that gives some scope for potential subjects :)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11767
    bigjon said:
    bigjon said:

No worries - I've tried learning to sing before, and gave up when I realised that singing at the same time as playing guitar means I can't actually do either ;)

Nikko said:

Beginner! 

I'd like have a go at... 

Anarchy in the UK 

... aaaand that's pretty much it :) 
    I was thinking riff and chords for me on Beat It, so I will stand behind you chugging away while you get your EVH on @digitalscream :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Nikko said:
    TADodger said:

Yeah, id also be interested in a workshop. I need to be better at everything, so that gives some scope for potential subjects :)
    A session on working out strumming patterns to a song would be really useful for me.  I always get a bit stuck on that at the moment.  Might be a bit too basic for the event, so its fine if that's the case.

Also, a session on string bending might be useful as would some power chord progressions - these are all things that I haven't really gotten round to yet.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    TADodger said:

More than happy to chat about that either in person or by pm mate. I've got some insight, as I tried on my own for the first 5 months before enlisting help! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    As an aside point............could this Workshop sessions discussion go to the other thread Titled ' Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September 12-5 confirmed - Quad Studios Booked '?

I'll get in trouble with the other two if we carry it on in here as this thread is for song discussion only.

Thanks everyone.
    Keep tagging @bigjon but do it in the thread above please and let's keep this one for just songs.

This is partly my fault (Again) so I'll ask for this now before I get a less than happy text message!
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    @Alnico - if Octo, bridgehouse and I are backing you for comfortably, you probably want to keep us in room 1 where we are already set up rather than getting us to move all our gear and set up again in room 2?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26601
    edited July 2017
    Are there any bassists out there who want a go at Cupid's Dead?

Failing that...anyone bringing a polyphonic octaver (preferably a Sub 'n' Up)? Could always try it Royal Blood-style in reverse...actually, that could be quite cool. Might actually sound quite good, especially if I use my TC Mimiq with it :)
    <space for hire>
    horse said:
    @Alnico - if Octo, bridgehouse and I are backing you for comfortably, you probably want to keep us in room 1 where we are already set up rather than getting us to move all our gear and set up again in room 2?
    Yes.
    You're dead right.
    It's been quite hectic and that hadn't crossed my mind.
    Thanks Pete that's the way we'll go with that.

I'll contact everyone on a group chat to do with arrangement of the song and general chat about that part of the day probably next week.

Thanks again.
    So I'm progressing nicely on Hard to Handle and Fortunate Son. Just need to find a good original key vid of All right Now, as it turns out me and my jam group play it in a different key! 

It's possible with this rate of progress I might ask about doing another. 

There was some mention of doing a big number to finish. Did we ever decide on that? 

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Free's version of Alright Now is in A Major. Justin Sandercoe has a lesson on it (excluding the solo).
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    Us three are having quite a week of it in real life.

When the blessed weekend arrives we'll chat amongst ourselves and sort out some keys for all the songs on the lists for you lot to officially work to as final choices for keys etc.

Please bear with us while we spin all the plates.
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27543
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ^^

thought that might be useful, I'll update it as other attendees pick their songs.
    TTony said:
    ^^

thought that might be useful, I'll update it as other attendees pick their songs.
    I don't know what to say other than a massive "Thank You" Tony.
    That's just awesome and such a MASSIVE help.
    TTony said:
    ^^

Awesome! Is it worth putting that in the first page reserved posts? 

TTony said:
    ^^

Awesome! Is it worth putting that in the first page reserved posts? 
    It is.

I have.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom