Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Clarky and the Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I don't think DSP is THAT bad to be honest. Just needs some creative routing. I can have four amps in a patch:

Both paths are pretty much maxed out here though. If I got rid of an amp, I could have more effects.
    this is giving me an idea.. linking paths 2a and 2b
    to make it one long chain do I have to kill the level at the very end of path 2a?
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:
    If you wanna hook up and go over some stuff Paul, give me a shout!
    depending on my nightmare diary, we may have a plan here...
    so… now I've fixed my stooooopid merging of dry and dry, things are sounding and feeling much better…
    now that I'm getting all tones from 2 amps I have enough horsepower remaining to try to build my 'morph to pad' preset..

not completely there yet but have made some significant leaps this evening..

like all fx units.. they each have their own strengths and weaknesses..
    so it means that you have to find a different way in each to come to the same outcome..
    the key is knowing in detail the outcome you're looking for.. and then working through how the unit works / what it can and cannot do.. and then find a way to get there..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I had the dry on 2A for the first week and could not work it out. That can really put you off the unit! Once I sussed it out it made a massive difference
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Clarky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I don't think DSP is THAT bad to be honest. Just needs some creative routing. I can have four amps in a patch:

Both paths are pretty much maxed out here though. If I got rid of an amp, I could have more effects.
    to make it one long chain do I have to kill the level at the very end of path 2a?
    No you can edit the merge block but I think it's 100 wet by default
    Vaiai said:
    I had the dry on 2A for the first week and could not work it out. That can really put you off the unit! Once I sussed it out it made a massive difference

absolutely..

I do know that these simple errors can really kill your perception of a unit..
    thing is.. you don't know you've done it and so you're not looking for it
    I discovered my lil' prob completely by accident
    Cabicular said:
    Clarky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

I was thinking to go to the output of path 2a an zero the level there to ensure that 2a never gets to the output jacks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Cabicular said:
    Clarky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Actually both 1A and 2A in the screenshot should really be set to -120dB so that they're completely silent and never make it to the output jacks.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    It's seems counter intuitive to put it to None tho - I thought it would need some signal as it was coming from the chain above - clearly not lol.  I rehearse with mine using the Alto but not gigged it without my Victory amp - need to try it in PA at rehearsal before I go full on ampless!
    Clarky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Yep. Kill 1A and 2A, and you've got a really long ass chain to play with.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Cabicular said:
    Clarky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Actually both 1A and 2A in the screenshot should really be set to -120dB so that they're completely silent and never make it to the output jacks.
    I need to check this.. thanks for pointing this out.. I bet they're not in my preset
    Clarky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Cabicular said:
    Clarky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

I need to check this.. thanks for pointing this out.. I bet they're not in my preset
    checked..
    path1b is a loop within path1a, the end of path1a routes to path2.. nothing to solve there..
    path2b is also a loop within path2b so nothing to solve there either

however, when I try my next lot of experiments, path2 will be a single long chain 2a -> 2b
    so I will need to zero the level at the end of 2a when I set this up..

it's all becoming clear
    Yeah, basically any time you split the end of the path, 1A or 2A need to be muted. Although not necessarily - sometimes you might want to keep them, but route them to a particular place. Like for example... you can split Path 1 into two paths... and use one for 4-cable-method with a real amp... and use the other for an impulse going to FOH.... and then you've still got path2 to do some interesting stuff with as well.

It's very flexible. But you need to think a bit different to the Axe Edit 4x12 freely routable approach.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Yeah, basically any time you split the end of the path, 1A or 2A need to be muted. Although not necessarily - sometimes you might want to keep them, but route them to a particular place. Like for example... you can split Path 1 into two paths... and use one for 4-cable-method with a real amp... and use the other for an impulse going to FOH.... and then you've still got path2 to do some interesting stuff with as well.

It's very flexible. But you need to think a bit different to the Axe Edit 4x12 freely routable approach.
    If I'm doing that I just join the loop back up before the output block as per this, 
    Both work but I  don't have to remember to put the block

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24320
    Clarky said:
    Clarky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Cabicular said:
    Clarky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

checked..
    path1b is a loop within path1a, the end of path1a routes to path2.. nothing to solve there..
    path2b is also a loop within path2b so nothing to solve there either

however, when I try my next lot of experiments, path2 will be a single long chain 2a -> 2b
    so I will need to zero the level at the end of 2a when I set this up..

it's all becoming clear
    I'm loving this dedication to finding answers.

I've spent a lot of time on bass tones with it, but for guitar use I am really just a terrible 1980s throwback.

Sound a bit like Zakk Wylde? Squealies too easy to the point of being annoying? 
    Fuck it. That will do.

This is my "do everything" patch...

Guitar comes in and is immediately split to it's own digital output in order for me to capture DI's.
    It also gets routed through a fairly standard for me 'pedalboard' setup.
    The output of the pedalboard is then split to FX Loop 1, which is my real amp. It goes through a noise gate and then out the main output in order to complete my 4-cable method setup.
    The output of the pedalboard is also split to two amps and a cab, and that goes to it's own digital output too. So I can record an amp modelled version of the sound, alongside the DI.
    Then it's just a case of putting a microphone in front of my cab, and I can record my real amp at the same time too!

Works very well.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    very cool

Drew_TNBD said:

makes complete sense

the unit with the routing that was most difficult to get used to was the 2120
    once you understand it, it's a piece of p1ss.. 
    like anything I guess… easy when you know how

Cabicular said:

PA and amp together… nice solution..