Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Clarky and the Helix

What's Hot
1171819202123»

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Clarky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    That's interesting and good to know. So many people say "it's the best", but I didn't think they've tried all three like you have.
    It's mainly the low-end. There is something not right about it. It never matched up with any of the profiles I made, and that was across two different studios.
    I think what you do is spot on for your needs..
    a big fat real Diezel and some sophisticated stuff going on in the fx-loop for all your ambient goodies....
    Truth is, I don't even really use the post-effects thing!! I could plug my Helix into the front of the amp and get the exact same tones right now!

The first one where I've put delays and reverbs after the amp distortion is that synth patch I posted earlier. I intend to experiment more though, which is why I keep doing 4cm with it.

As for your stuff.. I sorta knew you wouldn't get along with the Helix ultimately. I remember your patches being very involved in terms of control stuff, and the Helix is a bit too simple in that area. I also figured the lack of a full on 4x12 'anything can be wired anywhere' grid would hold you back too.
    spot on... I think that once a user gets used to the grid, it's difficult to go back to chains
    I know folks go on about the Axe's modelling being so great blah blah.. well yeah.. it's great..
    but for me, the combination of the grid, scenes and the control options [control over the shapes of the graphs] is the killer thing.. even if the tone was a little less than it is, like Roland sort of tone [which is less than an Axe but I can make it work ok] it'd still be the unit for me..
    it's like having a dawg where you line up all the hoops and get to jump through em all..
    and then it's back wagging it's lil' tail wanting more.. lol..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    @Drew_TNBD was thinking about this last night, as neither if the modellers hit the nail for you in terms of amp modelling, have you tried a Kemper? If so what are your thoughts?
    I've owned three Kempers.

It's my least favourite modeller of them all tbh. Mainly because they set the bar soooooo high with their claims, and in my experience it has never delivered on those promises 100%.

43:21 - interesting this guy talks about the resonance of the note not being right, which was one of your complaints IIRC.  The actual question starts at 42:37 and he gives his opinion on amp sims before talking specifically about the Kemper later... Eyal does point out there is a specific firmware he likes and has stuck with that one.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    @Drew_TNBD was thinking about this last night, as neither if the modellers hit the nail for you in terms of amp modelling, have you tried a Kemper? If so what are your thoughts?
    I've owned three Kempers.

It's my least favourite modeller of them all tbh. Mainly because they set the bar soooooo high with their claims, and in my experience it has never delivered on those promises 100%.

43:21 - interesting this guy talks about the resonance of the note not being right, which was one of your complaints IIRC.  The actual question starts at 42:37 and he gives his opinion on amp sims before talking specifically about the Kemper later... Eyal does point out there is a specific firmware he likes and has stuck with that one.
    interesting article...
    yes I agree with him... that said.. I love that Axe-FX and he only had complimentary things to say about it too..
    edited September 2017
    the Helix went back today...
    giant sized thanks to awesome forumite and top gent that lent it to me for so long..
    matey you are a legend..

I wanted the Helix to work for me so much.. my hopes were very high..
    I tried really hard with it, but it just couldn't deliver in a few areas that are very important to me..

that said.. it is a superb unit and I had a great deal of fun noodling with it..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for doing this thread @Clarky ;

I think it'll be an interesting read for many - and very cool gesture from whoever loaned it to you.
    edited September 2017
    and in a contrast to the off topic thread about folks being banned and leaving etc..
    today after saying a huge thank you, the fella that lent me the unit said.... and this is that absolute truth.. he said..

"no problem... that's what the forum's for.. we help each other"

A... fkn.. men..! ! ! ! !
    that's exactly what this place is all about..

if that fretboard bro that loaned me the unit wishes to reveal himself or not... 
    I'll leave that up to him.. 
    personally.. I think he is awesome and he embodies everything this place stands for...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Absolutely agree Clarky.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom