Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fretboard Jam - North Edition - Sasquatch Studios - Huddersfield - 27th January 2018 - SONG LIST UP!

What's Hot

Comments

• What was great was jumping straight into a scratch band and (mostly) getting a decent first take. Some really complimentary playing and not stepping on each others' toes. As @drwiddly said, we ended up on 3 songs together and it worked really well.

I'd love to do a bit more of a gearfest. I'd never heard a Kemper before and the one @drwiddly played souneds immense. I'd have liked time for him to walk me through it as it's a fascinating piece of kit.

Seeing Chris from @CustomPedalBoards was cool, especially those mini pedals which sounded great, although I think some of that was the Freidmann that Andy brought!

There were so many cool guitars, amps, effects and players it all went by in a bit of a blur. I'd love to do it all over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    I have no problem with anything I played on being published on Soundcloud, mistakes and all! 
    @Legionreturns ;;;
     Assuming that you'll be co-ordinating the recordings, let me know when you're ready to publish, and I'll send you the details for theFB's SoundCloud account.  It's a paid subscription, so we have no limits on uploads, and none of the other drawbacks of a free account.
    Yeah Bob is going to be working on the mixes over the next week or so, buy he did say it's going to be a bigger job than he initially thought because there was a lot of fiddling with levels between songs what with different kit brought in and out. Personally I'd think this warrants paying him a little more for his time as he worked his arse off for relative peanuts yesterday but that's another discussion. I'm going to chuck some money at him. If anyone else feels like this is the right thing to do, feel free to contribute! 

@TTony I assume we're going to open up a private area again for pre approving recordings? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27509

@TTony I assume we're going to open up a private area again for pre approving recordings? 
    Happy to do that if anyone wants to pre-approve. 
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:

Happy to do that if anyone wants to pre-approve. 
    :)
    We did promise that nothing would be generally released without approval, in the same way we did for Leicester

• @Legionreturns I'm happy to bung Bob a few more quid .Can you post a  PayPal address?
  • @Legionreturns I'm happy to bung Bob a few more quid .Can you post a  PayPal address?
    I'm just gonna see if I can get Bob's PayPal, that way people who wish to can bung him something direct without it having to pass through my account. Anyone who wants this let me know.

Thanks @vasselmeyer ;

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6818
    Initial thoughts and differences to Leicester Jam:-

My aim for the day was to develop from a bedroom musician to someone who can jam with other musicians (this was only my third time of doing that)

1) Using recording studio was a good development - being able to observe in the control room and hear a good mix at a sensible volume was great. But the timing took a hit, and there seemed to be extra faffing due to people wanting to make sure the recording was good, use their own equipment, etc.

2) Was great having the other two jam rooms and a social area. We had great jams in the far room, and I saw people working on their songs together before they went in to play in the studio. There was more playing/jamming songs together than just playing/demoing equipment which seemed to happen more at Leicester.

3) The overall level of experience and musical ability seemed higher, but still very friendly and welcoming. If I was jamming on guitar I might have initially felt intimidated. Sitting behind the drum kit and joining in made me see that wasn’t the case, were there any other newbies there, or were everyone old hands at this? How did the newbies find the overall vibe of the day?

4) If you want to play a different version of the song to the one listed (as its a better version) -say so earlier. The version of Fortunate Son we ended up doing was better as it had a solo in it, but @drwiddly could have mentioned that a few weeks earlier so we all learnt the same version, and didn’t waste a run through!

5) Singing and playing is hard! Kudos to those that make it look easy. Much thanks to @modellista for doing a great vocal on Fire at the last minute, that song grooved!

Great day, will return to Sasquatch for another one!

Many Thanks @bridgehouse and @legionreturns
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2018
    Good points @mrkb ;;

I also heard that there was a close call with quite an expensive amp at one point due to it being plugged into the wrong speaker out. I didn't hear about this until afterwards but that and the fiddling around with kit certainly added a lot of downtime to the change overs. That was largely the point of having a set backline of 3 amps in the room but allowing people to take pedal boards in. It meant that Bob has to adjust levels before every song instead of just doing it once.

Perhaps we need to apply that rule more rigidly at the next one. After all, the Katana head was in use all day and absolutely didn't sound out of place among its more expensive cousins. You could make little tweaks and get a useable sound in a few seconds no matter what you wanted. 

Thoughts? 

• Seeing Chris from @CustomPedalBoards was cool, especially those mini pedals which sounded great, although I think some of that was the Freidmann that Andy brought!

There were so many cool guitars, amps, effects and players it all went by in a bit of a blur. I'd love to do it all over.
    aye that friedman was a nice amp, thats what those mini pedals like a nice tooob amp to go into and come alive.

i thought there was the right amount of gear, for the time we had.
    but whilst saying that also not enough gear! hahahaa if it turns into a wkend next time i can sort out the lack of gear! hehehe

as for the recordings feel free to use whatever you want that i appeared on.
    for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
  • Changeover time was definitely an issue but we did pull it back towards the end and still got Bob out of there on time. If people want to use their own gear I think the up front rule must be to sort a loud clean sound from the backline and hit the front with pedals or effects and that'll do it. I played on four songs and I used Chris's mini pedalboard for two of them and I probably got away with it.

If guys want to bring expensive amps that's fine, but that's more of a gearfest model. I'd love to play through a Friedman and spend a bit more time with it but for a jam you need the lowest common denominator.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @Legionreturns I'm happy to bung Bob a few more quid .Can you post a  PayPal address?
    Agreed, if he can auto tune my last minute harmony changed backing “vocals” on comfortably numb I’ll pay more  ;)

And I’ll cherish the recording of me belting out Pretty Vacant through @andy1839 superb Marshall Silver Jubilee at full roar, so happy to donate a few quid extra.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    @Legionreturns I'm happy to bung Bob a few more quid .Can you post a  PayPal address?
    Agreed, if he can auto tune my last minute harmony changed backing “vocals” on comfortably numb I’ll pay more  ;)

And I’ll cherish the recording of me belting out Pretty Vacant through @andy1839 superb Marshall Silver Jubilee at full roar, so happy to donate a few quid extra.
    I've chatted to Bob a bit this morning, and this is his response. I'm putting it as a picture so Google can't harvest his email address. If you want his PayPal address let me know and I'll pm it to you. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Glad everyone enjoyed themselves! I think the idea of doing Huddersfield twice a year is a good one - and stretching it over a weekend would be fine too.

I will have a chat to @Legionreturns as soon as possible and have a think about the next one. 
  • Glad everyone enjoyed themselves! I think the idea of doing Huddersfield twice a year is a good one - and stretching it over a weekend would be fine too.

I will have a chat to @Legionreturns as soon as possible and have a think about the next one. 
    Lessons learned: 

- Mrs Returns is a formidable woman...I must not let the next one take over my life! 

- Nobody likes Mustang Sally and it can die in a fire! 

;)

;)
    It was only in there to make sure we had something to take out when the timing got tight ;)

Glad everyone enjoyed themselves! I think the idea of doing Huddersfield twice a year is a good one - and stretching it over a weekend would be fine too.

Lessons learned: 

- Mrs Returns is a formidable woman...I must not let the next one take over my life! 

;)
    She looked like she wanted to join in Hard to Handle - get her signed up for vocals at the next one!

Mustang Sally is a bit too ch-easy listening - not enough widdling opportunity!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:

Lessons learned: 

;)
    She looked like she wanted to join in Hard to Handle - get her signed up for vocals at the next one!

Mustang Sally is a bit too ch-easy listening - not enough widdling opportunity!
    I do want to put a bit more work into sorting vocals at the next one.. 
    In what way? I do appreciate the opportunity to have a go at singing live (despite my three semi-tone range), but agree some of the songs do need proper vocal talent to do them justice.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • If we do a full weekend, we'll definitely need more drummers. Differs was absolutely wrecked after 6 hours on the stool. He was massively grateful for a break so thanks @mrkb ;

mrkb said:
    In what way? I do appreciate the opportunity to have a go at singing live (despite my three semi-tone range), but agree some of the songs do need proper vocal talent to do them justice.
    Just a wider selection and a bit more prep time - it feels a bit unfair expecting a few people to step in and do vocals last minute.