Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hurricane Irma

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11993
    edited September 2017
    Steel shutters are not going to do bigger all of a car or a boat gets tossed straight at it, with 30ft of sea water pushing it.

why you are playing lottery with your life when you don't have to I can't even imagine. It's not even your house and you don't have to look after someone who can't move.

a few miles inland means nothing when the hurricane is 200miles big.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I guess it's too late to go anywhere now anyway. Best of luck
    My V key is broken
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    This might help.
  • I feel like I'm more worried than Chili

http://floridadisaster.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=c788060028cb43809a25744ead39c0d6
    it says you are in a category A or AB evacuation zone

here's a video 
    http://www.fox4now.com/weather/hurricane/to-evacuate-or-not-in-cape-coral

most of where you are (Lee County) has mandatory evacuations now:
    https://www.leegov.com/publicsafety/emergencymanagement
    "Cape Coral west of Burnt Store Road and south of Cape Coral Parkway, east of Del Prado Boulevard to Viscaya Parkway"

Look after yourself old chap
  • We're flying back on the 16th, so we only have to stick it out for another week. And we have the resident Brits next door for support now.

There's shedloads of boats around the canals here that still hadn't been tied down, moved, or put into the huge storage sheds they have. Maybe owners are relying on their insurance, who knows? The guy that owns the villa we were in lives in Boston, so there's not much he could do from there. He asked me to cut the mesh material from the lanai this morning to cut down on the windage, that felt strange. We put all the outside furniture in a bedroom, and turned the power off before we left.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A storm that big is going to toss boats around like playing cards, I don't think it's going to do anything.

the area will be so devastated I fear there will be no flight out for weeks.
  • We're flying back on the 16th, so we only have to stick it out for another week. And we have the resident Brits next door for support now.

There's shedloads of boats around the canals here that still hadn't been tied down, moved, or put into the huge storage sheds they have. Maybe owners are relying on their insurance, who knows? The guy that owns the villa we were in lives in Boston, so there's not much he could do from there. He asked me to cut the mesh material from the lanai this morning to cut down on the windage, that felt strange. We put all the outside furniture in a bedroom, and turned the power off before we left.
    wow
    good luck, keep us posted
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    edited September 2017
    My mate lives in St Pete's, east of Tampa. He has been evacuated as he is too near the water. His ex-wife and kids live 150 miles north, and they are off to a shelter. He is helping the father-in-law to look after the various pets. In a mobile home/trailer.....

Good luck @chillidoggy!!!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • 6.5 million people being asked to evacuate Florida? Where the fuck are they supposed to go?

• 6.5 million people being asked to evacuate Florida? Where the fuck are they supposed to go?
    Somewhere else, preferably somewhere not so windy
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I have family living near West Palm Beach..
    they said that already the winds are starting to strengthen and bands of rain are coming through..
    and the main part of the storm is still over Cuba
    play every note as if it were your first
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12443
    edited September 2017
    Live news stream

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24538
    Latest forecast is that the biggest hurricane ever is now strengthening further.  Estimated wind speeds when it hits you are now 140mph with gusts of up to 165mph.  Holy fuck.  

A hundred and sixty five mph.  I can't see any structure holding up against that.  Maybe a cave.  Certainly not a house.

Good luck Chilli.... by Christ you're going to need it.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    edited September 2017
    FEMA predicts there will be 4million + homes without power, basically most of Florida and will take weeks before power is restored.

76,000 reported without power in Florida already, and it has not landed yet, not for another 24 hours.
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited September 2017
    Good luck chilli, keep us posted
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Back at category 4 now, doesn't look good.
    My V key is broken
  • holnrew said:
    Back at category 4 now, doesn't look good.
    yes, hurricanes feed on seawater at 30C+, so it was due to get stronger as soon as it was out at sea again
  • on a brighter note, looks like Jose has veered off north, and will not add to the problems
  • It's very windy here, bit of rain, but that's it. Drama-free night, although the wife had to sleep on the sofa due to my snoring after a few beers. Predicted 69-100mph sustained, gusts of 140mph, but it's the surge that's of more concern, if it coincides with high tide. And there's a full moon right now, so it could be a bit dodgy for some places, but it could be down from Cat 4 to 3 as it passes here, although Brexit is clearly to blame.

Chillidoggy, BBC News, Cape Coral.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom