Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hurricane Irma

What's Hot

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Lolling at the sign off, not the predicament
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72796
    Looks like the projected track has shifted slightly further to the west again, and the eye may remain just offshore at Cape Coral. I'm not sure if that's good news or not…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11993
    ICBM said:
    Looks like the projected track has shifted slightly further to the west again, and the eye may remain just offshore at Cape Coral. I'm not sure if that's good news or not…
    Bad news, because if it doesn't make landfall, it doesn't slow down, and what it does is that it creates a space, aka, water between the eye and the coast which pushes those water into the coast even more.

The sooner it touches land, the sooner it looses power.
    ICBM said:
    Bad news, because if it doesn't make landfall, it doesn't slow down, and what it does is that it creates a space, aka, water between the eye and the coast which pushes those water into the coast even more.

But equally, you don't want it to slow down too much because that increases the height of the storm surge and the amount of rainfall in one place, which is what happened with Harvey.

Probably the worst case is if it moves slowly up the coast with the eye wall right on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    ICBM said:

But equally, you don't want it to slow down too much because that increases the height of the storm surge and the amount of rainfall in one place, which is what happened with Harvey.

Probably the worst case is if it moves slowly up the coast with the eye wall right on it.
    It's only moving like 8mph, there is no good news no matter where this lands.  I can't believe
    @chillidoggy chose to stay put.

I grew up in HK, in 10 years I think i experienced category 4 may be twice, but living in a 34 storey buildings with metal bars on the windows I felt safe, was actually fun looking out the windows watching debris flying around.  I would however never voluntarily stay if i know the storm is coming and i know i am by the coast.

• We're staying put because we don't have any other option. Hotels are either closed, or those that are open are full, shelters are full, and we are in a concrete house with steel storm shutters over all the windows. The roads out were either closed, or packed with traffic, and gas stations are closed, or out of gas altogether. So far, the water and power is still on, but if I don't log in, then it will have gone off.

Good job with wife and I get on well, cos we're gonna be cooped up together for a while.

• So will your next child be called Irma then?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    We're staying put because we don't have any other option. Hotels are either closed, or those that are open are full, shelters are full, and we are in a concrete house with steel storm shutters over all the windows. The roads out were either closed, or packed with traffic, and gas stations are closed, or out of gas altogether. So far, the water and power is still on, but if I don't log in, then it will have gone off.

Good job with wife and I get on well, cos we're gonna be cooped up together for a while.
    But you have had warning days before, I would have booked a hotel in Boston or something and got my ass out of Florida soon as the warning came.

Good luck to you, the next 24 hours will not be fun, and I would stay off the alcohol personally, emergency services will not be attending any calls in hurricane strength winds.
  • Sadly, thousands of others must have had the same idea of leaving, flights out of here were fully booked. Plus, as I said, I75 north was one big traffic jam, and gas stations all over the show had run out of gas. Restaurants closed, so nowhere to eat, sleep or take a shit/piss. We can't fly back home because Fort Lauderdale airport is closed until further notice.

I've just been outside to move the car parallel across the garage door, and got soaked in about 2 seconds flat!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just seen it's heading more northerly, predicted to hit here as a cat 3, then falling to a 1 as it gets further north.

Sadly, thousands of others must have had the same idea of leaving, flights out of here were fully booked. Plus, as I said, I75 north was one big traffic jam, and gas stations all over the show had run out of gas. Restaurants closed, so nowhere to eat, sleep or take a shit/piss. We can't fly back home because Fort Lauderdale airport is closed until further notice.
    I'm not sure what they were on about recommending that 6 million people evacuate. There is no way the roads and airlines could cope with even a fraction of that number without weeks of notice.

You're safer staying put if you're in a strong building well above water level. It's probably going to be a bit scary, but as long as you know what's coming and have prepared well it's not *that* dangerous - very few people have actually been killed so far along the whole track of the storm, despite the overwhelming damage to buildings.

You will almost certainly lose communications at some point tonight, so we'll just have to keep fingers crossed for you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5577
    My cousin and his wife live in Fort Myers. They can't evacuate as she works at the hospital and has to be on duty. My cousin has boarded up the house and raised a Saltire in the garden as he's "not going down on foreign soil"!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's the spirit!

DiscoStu said:

My cousin has boarded up the house and raised a Saltire in the garden
    Which will probably later be found somewhere in Tennessee...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been watching the live CNN coverage from Naples, and it looks like everyone will be OK if they are in proper concrete buildings more than 10 feet up from sea level, so not as bad as it was looking
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24538
    The current track is now heading directly to where he is.  The leading edge of the strongest wind zone is about to reach him any minute.  If it remains on the predicted course, the eye will pass right over them... And then beat the shit out of them with opposite wind as it leaves.

I think he's mental for staying but I have to admit, I'm kinda jealous - it must be something to behold.  
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12443
    If I was in chilli's position id get out in the garden when it hits, make my coat into a cape and hold it over my head then jump into the air and fly to higher ground. Sorted.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom