Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hurricane Irma

What's Hot

Comments

• starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited September 2017
    The owner is a drummer who's sporting a cracking stutter.

Pick up the guitar, and ask him to count you into a song.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24590
    edited September 2017
    And there we have it. British bulldog spirit and resourcefulness at it's finest, eh?

We've just been into the nearest boozer, which happens to be a craft beer brewery. What a total shithole, it was brilliant! The owner is a drummer who's sporting a cracking stutter, and there's a band set-up permanently in place for anyone who feels the urge, drums, amps, guitars, PA, the lot.

He's hellbent on sticking it out, and there's a band night tomorrow, so I think we might just swing by there, and fuck the hurricane. They do have white wine as well as about 20-odd beers, so the wife will be well catered for.

White wine, beers and a band won't stop a hurricane.  Saying "Fuck the hurricane" won't stop it either.  There is a very real danger to you and your wife's lives approaching rapidly and you don't seem to realise the gravity of your situation.  I get the humour, I get the defiant spirit thing, but, in my opinion, you're being cavalier and grossly irresponsible about the danger.

This thing is fucking HUGE and it can pick up your bar, with you, the wife, the beer, the wine and the band, and spit you out as a collection of matchsticks and shredded flesh.  In the words of Rule #1 on the forum - Don't be a dick.

Get out - it's coming straight for you.

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1483
    I'd be inclined to agree with Emp here (something I never thought I'd say).

My family, as I said, live on St. Maarten, the ENTIRE ISLAND has been destroyed. This is no fucking joke. There's a reason holidays to the Caribbean and Florida are cheap this time of year, but usually you can ride the storm by buying in some supplies, boarding up the windows and waiting it out for a few days. This is THE WORST HURRICANE that's ever been recorded and is destroying everything in it's path. Please get to safety as quickly as you can. There's a very good chance that the airports will be detroyed, so prepare to have your stay in the US extended.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12468
    My bro and sis in law live north of Orlando. They both work in local hospitals and have been asked to come in at the weekend, there's massive problems expected.  :/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1759
    edited September 2017
    When someone is that ignorant I usually stop worrying for them at that point.

My friends from Cuba have been evacuated - two days ago that's said the officials still refuse to call a hurricane alert - they raised a storm alert instead.

Florida will probably ok in comparison to Barbuda and such, but if you're willing to ignore it then have fun! 
    Post some pics over the weekend, Monday morning especially! Cheers.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Caught the effects of one passing by Miami and if you like going drinking in a foot of water then it's quite fun. It left a massive mess though and flying over bits where the centre passed was quite sobering. 
    More importantly, can you knock up a quick will.  What kit can you leave me, great mate...  ?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheeky cunt, I'm not leaving you fuck-all!

The boat Captain is coming to tie the boat down to the lift tomorrow, he's a Brit, and he's just said to stuck it out, the Yanks are panicking as usual. He slept through the last hurricane, and there's no way he's going to an emergency shelter. That's the spirit!

I shall of course post some photos assuming the power stays on.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3683
    My son and daughter in law live on the FL Space coast and have boarded up the windows and are staying put.

That said unless you have actually witnessed a hurricane the ferocity and sheer wrecking capability would shock you. 

The "yanks panicking" stuff is probably because they actually have experience of what a hurricane can do. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    Cheeky cunt, I'm not leaving you fuck-all!

The boat Captain is coming to tie the boat down to the lift tomorrow, he's a Brit, and he's just said to stuck it out, the Yanks are panicking as usual. He slept through the last hurricane, and there's no way he's going to an emergency shelter. That's the spirit!

I shall of course post some photos assuming the power stays on.
    That's a bit sharp isn't it?  Just because I've expressed concern for your welfare and the state of your will ?

I do like your defiance, but I suspect you are in for the shock of your life.  I'm reading your words and picturing a Japanese man dismissing the Tsunami alarms with a wave of his hand, saying "look at them all panicking!  I'll be ok, I've got some sandbags on the doorstep".

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • My Cuban friends have all been  evacuated to Havana and military is on guard 24/7.
    Cayo coco  (where they live and work and where I visit sometimes) have been absolutely battered. People are ok, but homes, workplace, and infrastructure are practically gone.
    :/
    edited September 2017
    @chillidoggy Just checked the latest forecast.  They are expecting Irma to strengthen soon.  Cape Coral is forecast to be hit with winds over 110mph starting tomorrow lunchtime and the sea is going to come inland to the tune of up to six feet deep, depending on how close you are to the coast.  You referred to a boat earlier, so I'm guessing you're in the six-feet deep region.

You know I advised you to hide in the basement?

That may not be such a good plan now, unless you have scuba gear.

Seriously dude...  If you stay there, you are fucking unhinged or mind-bogglingly blasé.

Do you have any last words for us all ?

...apart from "glug, gasp, glug" ?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I would be very worried
    My V key is broken
  • Stick it out, if you survive Emp looks like an arse. If you die then he gets to be right for once in his life.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, the boat captain came round to tie the boat down earlier, and he's offered us to stay in his big, fuck-off villa next door to his gaff until it blows over. As it's a few miles inland instead of us staring at the waterfront and wondering whether the possible storm surge is going to flood our place out, we've taken him up on it. Thing is, the chuffing forecast is so unreliable, it changes by the poxy minute!

As for Emp looking like an arse, well I'm not planning on dying just yet.

Hey, I'd much rather look like an arse and be alive to see it than for you to look like an arse but be dead.

Here is the latest forecast.

See where the eye of the hurricane is forecast to make landfall ?  Zoom in a bit....   It says Cape Coral.  It literally is coming straight for you.  Latest wind speed estimate is approx 125mph.

No amount of "British Bulldog spirit" bravado is going to help you when this thing hits you like a thousand freight trains.

Be safe man... whatever you choose to do.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • It's getting a bit more windy, this villa has steel shutters over all the windows, so it's as good as it gets. Biggest danger is from flying debris, and if there's a power outage.

• my mate is in Fort Lauderdale, so I've been tracking this. The centre was heading for him, now it's heading for you

the hurricane strengthens over water, so the maximum problems are coming where it first hits land 
    They are now forecasting 136mph winds where you are, and storm surges of 10 feet, plus rain of up to 11 inches per hour

this is category 4, the definition of which is:
    Category 4: Winds range from 131 to 155 mph and can cause catastrophic damage to property, humans, and animals. Severe structural damage to frame homes, apartments, and shopping centers should be expected. Category 4 hurricanes often include long-term power outages and water shortages lasting from a few weeks to a few months, so again, it’s important for any remaining residents to have a significant nonperishable food and water supply at hand.

that means that wooden US homes will be destroyed

I'd head for a concrete building well above sea level, and get ready to live like a refugee for a few weeks or a month

• not to mention Hurricane Jose, due to come the same way in a few days
  • why aren't the people there with boats not sailing west as fast as they can? their boats will be trashed if they don't move them

the hurricane is moving about 9mph - 12mph, so heading 90 degrees from its path should surely be a good idea?