Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So bigger family, bigger car needed.... is there any positive way to buy a car?

What's Hot

Comments

• ThorpyFX said:
    Skoda Kodiaq
    Audi Q5
    Seat Atteca
    VW Tiguan.
    These are, essentially, four interpretations of the same engineering package, tailored to suit to the customer's self-image and depth of pocket.

They are all huge and a pain to park. The only justification would be if your family needs three rows of seats (or space at the back for a dawg). 

In your position, I would get a Skoda Yeti. If the kids are small, a Skoda Roomster.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFX said:
    Skoda Kodiaq
    Audi Q5
    Seat Atteca
    VW Tiguan.
    These are, essentially, four interpretations of the same engineering package, tailored to suit to the customer's self-image and depth of pocket.

They are all huge and a pain to park. The only justification would be if your family needs three rows of seats (or space at the back for a dawg). 

In your position, I would get a Skoda Yeti. If the kids are small, a Skoda Roomster.
    They're different sizes though. I know the Atteca and Tiguan are the same, the Kodiaq is the larger one though. The Atteca is the same size as the Skoda Yeti replacement, whose name I have forgotten.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    Skoda Kodiaq
    Audi Q5
    Seat Atteca
    VW Tiguan.

Self image isn't a concern for me, I couldn't give a monkeys. This will be the wifes car. We have driven the kodiaq and it didn't feel too massive but they are brand new out and quite expensive as a result. Space is a concern though. I have a son, a new daughter, a dog (sometimes 2 dogs as we have a timeshare (lol) on my mother in laws dog) oh and the wife.....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28421
    ThorpyFX said:
    Skoda Kodiaq
    Audi Q5
    Seat Atteca
    VW Tiguan.
    They are all huge and a pain to park.
    None of those are huge - the Q7 and the Touareg are huge. These are all a size down.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I've just been through the same thing - needed to upgrade.  Two kids, 15 and 12, the 15 year old is 6 ft, a shade shorter than me.

The process if visiting dealers I found to be horrible.  Nearly all of them wanted to sell their PCP equivalent, most were blatantly not interested when I said I was a cash buyer.  We tend to buy new, then keep for 8-10 years and suck all the value out of it.

We were initially looking at an SUV type, Qashqai, RAV 4 etc, but none of them were really floating out boat.  So in the end we looked at saloons - you can actually get lots for your money new, as the SUVs seem to be sucking up the market share at the moment.  

Ended up buying a new Mazda 6 - extremely happy with it.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    If you're looking at any Skoda and I can get it delivered by end of September I will do one for at £100 over cost.
  • Kia Sportage 14/15 plate approved used. Will still have years of warranty, looks great and you should be able to get decent spec fairly easily. They'll still do PCP too.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27620
    joneve said:
    If I didn't know any better, I'd say Tony was a car salesman.
    Nope ....

DanR said:
    If you're looking at any Skoda and I can get it delivered by end of September I will do one for at £100 over cost.
    ^^ That's a car salesman
    ;)

With a stonking offer too!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DanR said:
    @DanR ;

Does that apply to other forum members? Are you at Simpsons by any chance (both ours came from the Colne branch if so)
  • DanR said:
    That's a bloody good offer from a man with targets to meet!
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    No mate I'm at Lookers in Eccles.

Anyone can have one lol.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2105
    A used Volvo XC70 with a D5 engine. Very reliable and hold their value. Xc90s keep their value too. Safe and quick with tons of space.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    edited September 2017
    ThorpyFX said:
    There are a lot of good options here, I am looking for the following type of car, purely based on size:

Honda CR-V
    Skoda Kodiaq
    Kia sorrento
    BMW X3
    Audi Q5
    Seat Atteca
    Hyundai Tucson
    VW tiguan....

etc. Leasing looks to be ok, although financially the consensus seems that a 4 year old car is probably the best balance. I have done bangernomics in the past but my wife has a fully working honda jazz and if that was the route we would probably just put up with the small space and keep it going till it dies.

Out of those I would go the Q5 if you have the budget and the Skoda if you don't.
    The X3 has reliability issues.

Have you considered an estate?
    IMHO they are better for most people- less weight, better economy, they drive better and you don't pay the SUV tax.
    It seems all SUV's are 3-10k more expensive than an equivalent estate because they are popular these days.
    If/when I replace my 1 series hot hatch it will probably be with a 3 series estate or an A4 avant.
  • MrBump said:

The process if visiting dealers I found to be horrible.  Nearly all of them wanted to sell their PCP equivalent, most were blatantly not interested when I said I was a cash buyer.

I had this at Ford.  Told him was getting a loan at 3%, or whatever it was at the time.  He kept going away and coming back, with the PCP rate coming incrementally down, but always above the loan I'd secured.

He then gave up and moved on to the paint finishing extras, which I quickly rejected.  After this sale charade he realised he was getting nothing out of me and just said he needed off the forecourt as spring stock was due in.  So I ended up getting a 2 year old car after a massive reduction and a year warranty for about 8k less than the new price.  We've had it coming up 3 years and it's only gone down a further 2k (having a quick look at Autotrader prices)

I think when you go does make a difference and January / February can be good for the buyer. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/advice/when-is-the-best-time-of-year-to-buy-a-used-car

• MrBump said:

The process if visiting dealers I found to be horrible.  Nearly all of them wanted to sell their PCP equivalent, most were blatantly not interested when I said I was a cash buyer.

I had this at Ford.  Told him was getting a loan at 3%, or whatever it was at the time.  He kept going away and coming back, with the PCP rate coming incrementally down, but always above the loan I'd secured.

He then gave up and moved on to the paint finishing extras, which I quickly rejected.  After this sale charade he realised he was getting nothing out of me and just said he needed off the forecourt as spring stock was due in.  So I ended up getting a 2 year old car after a massive reduction and a year warranty for about 8k less than the new price.  We've had it coming up 3 years and it's only gone down a further 2k (having a quick look at Autotrader prices)

I think when you go does make a difference and January / February can be good for the buyer. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/advice/when-is-the-best-time-of-year-to-buy-a-used-car

I've had the ' how much are you looking to spend a month?' line before I've even looked at car and that's it I'm out of there. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MrBump said:

I've had the ' how much are you looking to spend a month?' line before I've even looked at car and that's it I'm out of there. 
    Yeah, they always forget the 'FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE' bit on the end of that question.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited September 2017
    <sigh> this takes me back......and reminds me why I got out of the Retail Motor Trade... ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • SRich said:
    <sigh> this takes me back......and reminds me why I got out of the Retail Motor Trade... ;)
    Did you have "Honest" in front of your name? :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited September 2017
    @fields5069 ............I once had a sheepskin coat / no trilby though.......is that the same thing?.......

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    edited September 2017
    Budgie said:
    A used Volvo XC70 with a D5 engine. Very reliable and hold their value. Xc90s keep their value too. Safe and quick with tons of space.

My C30 T5, paid £10.5k 18 months ago.  I look on auto trader, a similar age C30 T5 goes for £9k and those average with 10k-20k more miles on the clock than mine, with lower specs such as no heated seats, in manual (mine is an Auto which was a £1500 option), soft boot cover (£350 option).

Basically in 18 months, my car depreciated bugger all, for a non-exotic car it is rather remarkable.

So….get a Volvo